Kupp out an extended period of time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Football injuries typically caused by contact are based on pure luck. Kupp got tackled in a way that would cause most players to leave the game injured. Throwing that in as him being injury prone because of that makes zero sense. He simply had shitty luck.
I disagree that it's luck. The hip drop tackle was made illegal because it has a higher chance of injuring a player, but it doesn't hurt everyone who is tackled in that manner. Some people's bodies are just not as durable.

But we can agree to disagree.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
I'm not sure the type of tackle, or age for that matter, is the primary reason for Kupp's injury, given his fragile body, as evidenced by his extensive injury history. He's injured more than all of our O'linemen which we consistently rag on for being injury prone. It helps to be elite when healthy I guess.
Would you rather be shot by a rubber bullet or lethal bullet?
Of course the type of tackle matters when investigating root cause of an injury.

Similar to how a trained martial artist can split a piece of wood with a Karate chop - - the hip drop is a martial arts move to break an opponents lower leg via laws of properly applied physics. It originated in Rugby leagues and even they banned it.

Saying Kupp has a fragile body is pretty fucking far out there. Every injury he's had has I can remember has been "look away from the screen" type shit.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Would you rather be shot by a rubber bullet or lethal bullet?
Of course the type of tackle matters when investigating root cause of an injury.

Similar to how a trained martial artist can split a piece of wood with a Karate chop - - the hip drop is a martial arts move to break an opponents lower leg via laws of properly applied physics. It originated in Rugby leagues and even they banned it.

Saying Kupp has a fragile body is pretty fucking far out there. Every injury he's had has I can remember has been "look away from the screen" type shit.
I didn't say the type of tackle didn't matter. I said Kupp gets injured a lot even when he's not being tackled in that manner. That says something...at least to me.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
I disagree that it's luck. The hip drop tackle was made illegal because it has a higher chance of injuring a player, but it doesn't hurt everyone who is tackled in that manner. Some people's bodies are just not as durable.

The hip drop is a martial arts move, when performed correctly, will break your opponents leg 100% of the time.

Brasilrams

UDFA
Name
Victor Galvao
I didn't say the type of tackle didn't matter. I said Kupp gets injured a lot even when he's not being tackled in that manner. That says something...at least to me.
I agree , his ankle got a little twist and that was enough . Stafford got his ankle twisted like that in the first game , they taped it and he was fine.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Haha, I'd hate to call you out, but I've been in Judo and Jujitsu for 14+ years. What move is this called?
It's neither Judo or Jujitsu. I've had over 5 years myself in both of those arts. I love that they stress good techniques to thwart an enemy without causing serious harm. It's what I teach my boys to build their confidence. I love that they can make someone tap out without seriously hurting them.

Kapu Kuʻialua is a martial art form that teaches bone breaking. There are others.

Toothsayer

UDFA
Name
Richard H Stee

Kupp has walked away from literally hundreds of similar gang tackles, whether that was a true hip drop or not ( fwiw, I don't think it was). Hate his stubborn refusal to go down like Bruce & Holt used to do, but it makes no sense to imply he's fragile. And he's earned a buttload of YAC for the team doing it his way.

Maybe it IS time to modify it now that he's got the mileage, though . Larry Fitz did, imo, and lengthened his career.

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It's neither Judo or Jujitsu. I've had over 5 years myself in both of those arts. I love that they stress good techniques to thwart an enemy without causing serious harm. It's what I teach my boys to build their confidence. I love that they can make someone tap out without seriously hurting them.

Kapu Kuʻialua is a martial art form that teaches bone breaking. There are others.

Yes... the Forbidden art. In Hawaiian, Kapu means Forbidden.

That art was only taught to King Kamehameha's royal guards. Ultimately it was one of the tools that allowed King Kamehameha to unite all of the Kingdoms of the Hawaiian islands.

I remember that from school back in The 808 (we had to learn Hawaiian history more than regular American history)... so my description of it is just coming from my memory. That means I could be a little off LOL. I don't think I am off though because my Karate instructor over there told us about it too.

Psycho_X

Legend

I agree , his ankle got a little twist and that was enough . Stafford got his ankle twisted like that in the first game , they taped it and he was fine.
He literally had a 200 pound man swinging from his jersey with all of his weight straight into Kupp's 100% weight bearing ankle. No one is not getting injured on that play.
1726771844762.png

View: https://x.com/SigmundBloom/status/1835791375750803470

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame

We will definitely agree to disagree as you literally just described luck by saying some get injured and some don't. We are talking about world class athletes after all.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
We will definitely agree to disagree as you literally just described luck by saying some get injured and some don't. We are talking about world class athletes after all.
I'm not seeing how I'm describing luck. Are you including the durability of the body in the luck category? Seems strange to me.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Stafford is one lucky bastard. He's had tons of hits that should have put him out. Some dudes just luck out a la Brett Favre who took a shit ton of bad hits but kept on ticking.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I'm not seeing how I'm describing luck. Are you including the durability of the body in the luck category? Seems strange to me.
It's not strange at all. If you don't get it now, you never will. Once again, we'll agree to disagree but I know I'm more right though :laugh1::laugh2::laugh3::laugh4:

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
Might as well sit Stafford at this point.

I've never seen a team hit by injuries so hard for two out of the last three seasons. I think McVay needs to clean house. It's gonna suck but these guys are dropping like flies and I just don't think it's because all of these dudes are suddenly made of glass.
Well for those who haven’t noticed the Rams have almost completely turned over their roster over the last two years and are among the youngest teams in the NFL. But that’s just a fact

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
People keep talking about this as a point of emphasis but none of the WR injuries happened when they were blocking. I know everyone needs to rationalize things and find a reason other than shit luck that Kupp got injured but unfortunately it was just shit luck. A defender hip drop tackled him. A tackle that has proven to almost always injure the one getting tackled. Could have happened on first play of season or last play of season... could happen to a player who never blocks or never catches... it was just shit luck.
Its still a lot of wear on tear on WRs.
And I still want a O line full of studs. Most important unit on any football team.
It helps both our WR and QB not to get hurt for a lot of reasons. Dominating run game is a RAM tradition after all.

Speaking of all this "bone breaking". I knew a highly trained hand to hand combat guy. Recon Vet in Vietnam. His deal was breaking joints of the human body. I used to ask him to show me stuff. In a split second he had his hands on me and I was in the most vulnerable position imaginable. Real deal bad, bad man and played for keeps.
2 silvers and a bronze bad. Put it this way. He told me about Hamburger Hill. About 3 years before the movie came out. He was there. That scene where out helicopter gunners were mowing down our own guys. Told me all about it before the movie.
Agent Orange got him. The NVA couldn't.
RIP Jim.