Hill to start at QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
I like this move.

Davis has been inconsistent throughout all of his games. Doesn't help that he has a weak arm also.

In all of his starts he hasn't played a full 4 quarters of good football.

@tampa bay - played a solid second half and hand a game winning drive.

dallas - played a great first half disappeared in second and throws pick to seal the loss.

@philly - played lousy in the first half and played great in the second almost bringing us back to win.

Niners - played solid first half. Lousy second.

Hawks - played ok first half. Solid 2nd half

@chiefs - played great first drive. Lousy rest of the game.

@niners - played just ok all game.

@cards - solid for 2qrts. Just ok 3rd. Bad 4th.

He hasn't played a full great game so bring on hill.

RamBill

Legend
Rams going back to Shaun Hill a logical move
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/13610/rams-going-back-to-shaun-hill-a-logical-move

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher's endorsement of Austin Davis as his starting quarterback earlier this week could be classified as lukewarm at best.

"He didn't have his best half," Fisher said. "He missed some opportunities, he made some bad decisions, had difficulty seeing at times. And over the last couple of weeks he's thrown four interceptions but we're going to hang in there. He's working real hard. So we'll see where it goes."

Fisher went on to tick off a handful of opportunities Davis missed and mentioned his propensity for holding on to the ball too long. When I wrote about it Monday night, I wrote the following:

"If that doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement it's because it probably isn't."

Of course, nobody could know just how tepid that endorsement was. At least not until Wednesday morning when Fisher informed his team at a meeting that Shaun Hill would be reclaiming the starting job this week against the Denver Broncos.

In the big picture, it probably doesn't matter much who starts at quarterback for the Rams because it's probably too late for them to make a postseason run at 3-6 with Denver and a trip to San Diego up next.

But going back to Hill now makes sense for one primary reason: The Rams' defense is starting to live up to expectations and they can't afford to have a quarterback who gives points away, especially in the fourth quarter.

That's been one of Davis' biggest issues since he became the starter in Week 2. Davis has thrown nine interceptions this season with four of those returned for touchdowns (all in the fourth quarter). He also has coughed up a pair of fumbles that have gone for scores.

Those instant points have prevented the Rams from winning games that were there for the taking with no better example than the most recent against Arizona last week. He threw two interceptions and fumbled once in the fourth quarter of a game the Rams led with less than 10 minutes to go. One interception and the fumble turned a 3-point deficit into a 17-point losing margin.

Since the Rams beat Seattle on Oct. 19, Davis is 45-of-79 for 481 yards with three touchdowns and five interceptions for a passer rating of 61.2 and a QBR of 7.3. That isn't to excuse the struggles of the offensive line and others but clearly those numbers aren't good enough to win consistently.

After the loss to Arizona, the always honest and professional Davis pointed to his inability to keep his eyes downfield and go through his progressions as the reason for his recent struggles. It's something he's battled with since entering the league in 2012 and was a primary reason the team released him in 2013.

"I think the thing you have to do is just kind of let it all play itself out," Davis said Sunday. "They are putting guys everywhere and moving them from everywhere. The ability to learn from this and get your eyes downfield and not on the rush is something that I’ve got to do."

In turning to Hill, the Rams are going with the veteran hand that was supposed to guide them after losing Sam Bradford in the third preseason game. Were it not for a thigh injury in the season opener and Davis' big performances against some weaker defenses early in the year, Hill probably would have reclaimed the job when he got back from the injury.

The hope now is that Hill can be the steady leader for an offense in dire need of a boost. And, if nothing else, manage the games effectively so that the recent yeoman's work of the defense isn't for naught.

Over the past two weeks, the defense has allowed an average of 299 yards per game, including just 54 per game on the ground. And the pass rush has revved up to the levels expected at the beginning of the season with 11 sacks in those two games.

In other words, the defense is playing well enough for the Rams to win. With Hill back in the mix, the Rams are betting he can help the offense play well enough not to lose.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I'm pretty obviously not in favor of this move. Davis did SO WELL earlier this year. Even though he has not been doing well lately, I don't believe you do that well as a fluke. There were obviously problems, but I thought at least some of them could be fixed. Injuries at other positions didn't help though.

Hill doesn't have that type of ceiling. He's the very definition of a journeyman. And the problems outside of the QB position are still going to be there. Those pounding the table for him might find out that Mr. Spock was speaking the truth when he said "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." (TOS Episode #30: "Amok Time") I think there is a higher possibility of Hill being worse than Davis than there is of him being better. When he was on the bench, statements that Hill would be better could not be proven wrong.

I'm DEFINITELY not a fan of how Fisher made this move. I don't see it as "admitting a mistake" at all. I see it as wishy washy and hurtful to his leadership in the long run since he just showed that a vote of confidence from him is meaningless. And if Hill goes out there and fails or is injured, how can Davis believe in his coach now?

BUT, as was said elsewhere by others (I know Prime Time said it at one point), if the Rams play Davis, I'm going to cheer for Davis to do well. If the Rams play Hill, I'm going to cheer for Hill to do well. I'm not going to hope the Rams tank so I can rub it in everyone's faces that "I told you so". I'm definitely not going to be the guy to insist that unless you agree with me, you either like losing or don't like winning. I'm hoping I can be the guy to say "You know what? I was wrong. We should have stayed with Hill."

Go Rams. And assuming Fisher doesn't change his mind again, go Hill.

Hey... who put this box of Ivory Soap underneath me?
Hill may be a journeyman but Davis is a jag... Davis had a few good games when the nfl didnt have tape on him and he had nothing to lose but once the league figured out that he panics when presured he was terrible. Davis was costing wins period and he will never be an nfl starter. Thank you Fisher for doing the right thing!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'd seen enough of Davis. I bet the rest of the team felt they had too.

We're about to find out what kind of chicken salad Hill makes.

One has to believe that, if nothing else, the disastrous game changing turnovers will be reduced with Hill at the wheel.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
lol. "the people who want AD." People only wanna win, and neither inspires much confidence. Right now Hill has shown exactly nothing except a 47 QB rating and half a start. Hopefully he can provide a spark, stay healthy, and improve upon his less than stellar beginning so the Rams can end up with a respectable record at the end of the season. If we lose more than 2 games, it won't be all that respectable. This season was lost once Bradford went down (and then Quick), and no amount of clamoring for either of these perennial backups will change that. Personally, I'd rather see Keenum.

I feel sorry for this defense. They've got their work cut out for them.

RamzFanz

Damnit
We do not know this. This is your opinion. My opinion is that while Davis has struggled lately, he gives us a better chance to win than Hill does.

Fair enough then. We'll see. Let's hope you're wrong.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
@jthom1: Fisher changes mind. Will start Shaun Hill vs Denver at QB
give-me-a-hell-yeah-hell-yeah.png

I know Fisher hates QB controversy, so I'm pretty surprised by this move.
I too know he hates QB controversy, but he hates losing even more. And I too believe Hill gives us the best chance of winning, with his experience, passing ability, and patience in the pocket!

A55VA6

Legend
Well, why not give Hill another go. He never did really get the chance to show us what he could do. Sucks for Davis though.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with almost all of the posters. Austin Davis has looked good at times, but there were other times when he looked totally lost out there. The final quarter against the Cards sealed the deal for me. Give Fish some credit. He is looking to give this team a spark.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
"Davis can't win games"
I guess Seattle and San Fran doesn't count...

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Right move by Fisher. Could have made it 1 to 2 weeks earlier. Gave Davis ample opportunity to improve his game and he couldn't do it. I think Fisher was right when he went to Davis and is right now in going back to Hill. IMO there is no QB controversy when you are dealing with which non-NFL-starting-caliber QB gets to play. You have to figure who's the best of the marginal QBs, and play them. If Hill ends up playing even worse than Davis (I certainly hope not), then I expect to see Keenum get an opportunity. If he sucks too, then Davis gets another chance. etc. etc.

…..

Legend
Davis is overwhelmed. As i alluded to earlier in the week, he is learning more and it is just too much right now. Too many choices, too many reads, too many defenses, too much going on in his head and he cant pull the trigger because he's thinking too much. He was better off when he didnt have a clue what was going on out there.

But buyer beware.....we were all clamoring for Davis to replace Hill now we're doing the opposite. Scary.

Tough season.!!!

tahoe

Pro Bowler
"Davis can't win games"
I guess Seattle and San Fran doesn't count...
The defense won those games inspite of Davis, oh and a fake punt that they had to run because Davis couldnt get a first down.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
This is a major flip flop move right here. He promised the kid he wouldn't have to look over his shoulder and 7 games later he goes back on his word. He shouldn't have ever made that promise at all. If I'm a player I don't know If I can be fully behind a coach who doesn't keep his word.

Putting Hill in there this late doesn't save this season. It's already lost so what does this accomplish a few extra wins in a best case scenario? This has job preservation written all over it and has little to do with what is best for the team IMO. Hill can't save the season and he has Zero upside for the future.

At this point I'm hoping Fisher gets the same treatment from Kroenke and has his time unexpectedly cut short.

Irish

Starter
Controversy only exists if you don't watch the games/game film. Anyone with a working set of eyes could plainly see that Davis was drowning.

Sometimes guys play out of their minds before they realize what is actually happening and come crashing back down to earth. Davis burned white hot and fast, but his ship crashed just as hard.

How is your clipboard game, son?

Athos

Legend
If Hill wets the bed, well.....it'll be further proof just how dire our situation is at QB.

I view it more as Davis vs. Manning and that's a lot for him to handle even in a perfect situation and Fisher wants more vet experience against Manning. Because 1 TO means game-over against DEN's offense.

Not convinced Hill will be all that great anyway, but he may limit TOs, which may or may not even matter.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Controversy only exists if you don't watch the games/game film. Anyone with a working set of eyes could plainly see that Davis was drowning.
So anyone who doesn't agree with you doesn't watch the games, or doesn't have a working set of eyes? Really?

I can understand feeling vehement in one's opinion, but this is the kind of thing making a lot of people sigh lately.

WoodsideRam

Rookie
The game film must have changed his mind.

I wouldn't mind seeing Case Keenum get a crack at it at some point.

Irish

Starter
So anyone who doesn't agree with you doesn't watch the games, or doesn't have a working set of eyes? Really?

I can understand feeling vehement in one's opinion, but this is the kind of thing making a lot of people sigh lately.
No, not at all. But, come on. Davis was shellshocked. I am not saying I ever wanted him to fail, but his reality pistol whipped him the past couple of weeks.

Generalizations work the other way, too.