Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Don't you believe Katrina should have been enough of a dry run ? People are going to go overboard, especially when what we thought might be a social safety net evaporates live on TV.
Nope. Not even in the same ball park or even sport. We're not talking about a run on supplies in a corner of the US.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
90118255_10158172096091779_1386633979674755072_n.jpg

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Don't you believe Katrina should have been enough of a dry run ?
Katrina was regional. The entire country is hoarding grocery stores and watching too much television as the paranoia is escalating.

I don't want to get too personal or presumptuous with our members here in terms of what ya'll do for a living and where you spend your work weeks, what you are seeing and how close and personal ya'll are to the general public etc...but i work full time for a major grocery chain. I've been in the same store for 5 years plus. I know most of these ppl. I see it. This thing began to escalate exactly 3 days ago. People are overreacting and many of them have that look in their eye like "not sure why i'm doing this but everybody else is so i'd better get with the program." Sheep.

It's as funny as it is disturbing to me. People need to be staying at home if at all possible, yet they're herding into these overcrowded stores to make sure they've got six months supply of groceries and supplies...and they keep coming back for more.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was at the store early this morning and I'm doing my normal shopping and everywhere it looked like the old folks homes let out. And I'm usually in there at a time when there's maybe 3 or 4 others. But this guy was checking out next to me and like me had regular things but I notice he has a 12 pack of Heineken. I"m thinking atta kid get the essentials (I'd picked up a few 1.75l of bourbon last week so I'm good for a while) and a 12 pk. So I get out to the parking lot and there's his cart in the cart cage with a 12pk of Heiny left in it. Grab it and start to take it into the store cause he'll be back. Guy swung around when he noticed and saw me he was so happy he offered me one :D

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Nope. Not even in the same ball park or even sport. We're not talking about a run on supplies in a corner of the US.

Katrina should have been a major shot across our bow when it comes to partial preparedness by our government. I'm not suggesting we'll have advance knowledge of the how, when or where, no-one can know whether a pandemic or more natural disaster will strike, but hell, we once stored government cheese for something like 20-25 years. Immediately following Katrina there was a great deal of talk about expanding regional warehousing of emergency supplies. Items like toilet paper, water & MRE's can easily be made part of a distribution system used by the military to keep stocks fresh. We store vast amounts of oil for emergency use, seems it couldn't hurt to be better prepared.
jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Katrina was regional. The entire country is hoarding grocery stores and watching too much television as the paranoia is escalating.

I don't want to get too personal or presumptuous with our members here in terms of what ya'll do for a living and where you spend your work weeks, what you are seeing and how close and personal ya'll are to the general public etc...but i work full time for a major grocery chain. I've been in the same store for 5 years plus. I know most of these ppl. I see it. This thing began to escalate exactly 3 days ago. People are overreacting and many of them have that look in their eye like "not sure why i'm doing this but everybody else is so i'd better get with the program." Sheep.

It's as funny as it is disturbing to me. People need to be staying at home if at all possible, yet they're herding into these overcrowded stores to make sure they've got six months supply of groceries and supplies...and they keep coming back for more.

On the one hand you suggest that people stay home, but on the other you say they are over-reacting. People are purchasing in bulk just so they don't have to go out and mingle, we can't really have it both ways.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
People are overreacting and many of them have that look in their eye like "not sure why i'm doing this but everybody else is so i'd better get with the program." Sheep.
Bingo. The wife and I went into Publix last night to get our regular week's worth of groceries. Nothing special, no prepping. Man, there was so much shit off the shelves, that it was beginning to aggravate me a little. Every aisle was disheveled, and all of their BOGO items were completely gone (and who tf needs a year's supply of teriyaki sauce?). I caught up with her a few aisles down in the frozen food section (which was a disaster), and now I'm fully annoyed, so I kind of loudly proclaim, "Jesus, people, we're not facing a nuclear holocaust." There was a lot of nervous laughter, followed by heads hanging down once they realized they were participating in this ridiculous hoarding exercise themselves. I mean, I guess I understand their concern. If they actually contract this virus, they only have a 98% chance of survival.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My store does about $85K in sales on a routine Friday. Thursday we did $170K. Yesterday we did $242K. Had another day like that today.

I'll post the numbers when ppl finally decide enough is enough and they should be at home instead of mingling with hundreds of ppl at a time buying stuff they don't need.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
On the one hand you suggest that people stay home, but on the other you say they are over-reacting. People are purchasing in bulk just so they don't have to go out and mingle, we can't really have it both ways.
You might have missed this part.
they're herding into these overcrowded stores to make sure they've got six months supply of groceries and supplies...and they keep coming back for more.
I'm seeing the same ppl. Like i said, i'll keep you posted, but i just don't see this stopping as soon as the sheep get their stuff so they can stay home.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
'Inducing panic': Media under fire for driving coronavirus hype to epidemic levels

Concerns about the coronavirus pandemic are both warranted and understandable, but the media is increasingly coming under fire for stoking a panic mentality that experts decry as both counter-productive and unsupported by the facts.

In addition to the stock market’s daily roller coaster ride, grocery stores and warehouse clubs in some areas have been picked clean of essentials such as toilet paper, paper towels and sanitizing wipes (or have rationed sales to prevent that) as coronavirus coverage dominates social media and the 24/7 news cycle.

The message from public health and infectious disease experts: It’s important to take the coronavirus threat seriously, but it’s also critical not to overreact.

“There’s been a mad rush to go out and purchase all these items in anticipation of the next apocalypse. That’s not what we’re dealing with,” said Dr. Robert Quigley, regional medical director of International SOS. “We’re dealing clearly with a pandemic for all intents and purposes, but the vast majority of us who are going to contract the disease are not going to be significantly impacted.”

University of California, Irvine associate professor E. Alison Holman, who has published research on media exposure to mass-trauma events, said the toilet paper scare appeared to have originated with articles about stocking up before the virus’ spread.

“A week ago, there were a handful of articles in major newspapers saying, here’s what you should do to prepare for the coronavirus. And one of the top things that was listed on at least two or three websites — major media outlets — was: Buy toilet paper,” Ms. Holman said. “I think some of the freak-out about getting toilet paper has to do with that.”

She described the media-fueled worry as “a little overblown,” while others have gone so far as to accuse the press of sensationalizing the virus to juice ratings.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/new..._1uV36jMOor4Z-cvFj1fRwf7Uih_yVSLnr0UHybUVrIng

The Washington Times. A step above tabloids. This is as good and reliable of a source as Star Magazine LOL.

“A week ago, there were a handful of articles in major newspapers saying, here’s what you should do to prepare for the coronavirus. And one of the top things that was listed on at least two or three websites — major media outlets — was: Buy toilet paper,” Ms. Holman said. “I think some of the freak-out about getting toilet paper has to do with that.”

Nothing I recall seeing in any of the multiple sources I read said that to prepare you should stock up on shit tickets.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You might have missed this part.
I'm seeing the same ppl. Like i said, i'll keep you posted, but i just don't see this stopping as soon as the sheep get their stuff so they can stay home.

It's also possible some of these people are shopping for others. Look, i'm not going to defend someone who is hoarding because it looks like the thing to do, but i'm also not going to attack them when I don't know what they are doing and for whom. What we do know is that many are having a difficult time getting tested, older folks are being asked to avoid crowds where possible, yet in order to do so they need to be well supplied for a longer run, and those that test positive need to self-isolate, which also means stocking up on supplies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Katrina should have been a major shot across our bow when it comes to partial preparedness by our government. I'm not suggesting we'll have advance knowledge of the how, when or where, no-one can know whether a pandemic or more natural disaster will strike, but hell, we once stored government cheese for something like 20-25 years. Immediately following Katrina there was a great deal of talk about expanding regional warehousing of emergency supplies. Items like toilet paper, water & MRE's can easily be made part of a distribution system used by the military to keep stocks fresh. We store vast amounts of oil for emergency use, seems it couldn't hurt to be better prepared.
jmo.
No.... H1N1 should have been that shot across our bow. People idiotically buying TP, water, and shit is not something the govt should be prepared for in the case of a pandemic. Testing procedures? Sure. Quarantine procedures? Sure. Public exposure protocols? Yep. Buying all the TP in every town across the US because a few thousand people got a virus? Yeah... NO.

But I really don't get you comparing HURRICANE Katina or any other localized natural disaster to this. You mean Seattle should have stored up a shit load of TP because a hurricane might hit on the other side of the country and the rest of the country may panic? It's not in the same ball park.

People are panic buying. We don't really want the federal government preparing for that. I can just see it. The fed buys 350 million rolls of TP at what.... $2 each to sit in warehouses across the country for rats to eat and piss on in preparation for....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As I said... This stuff was not being turned political until someone couldn't help himself.

To quote another member, "It must be exhausting."

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
No.... H1N1 should have been that shot across our bow. People idiotically buying TP, water, and shit is not something the govt should be prepared for in the case of a pandemic. Testing procedures? Sure. Quarantine procedures? Sure. Public exposure protocols? Yep. Buying all the TP in every town across the US because a few thousand people got a virus? Yeah... NO.

But I really don't get you comparing HURRICANE Katina or any other localized natural disaster to this. You mean Seattle should have stored up a shit load of TP because a hurricane might hit on the other side of the country and the rest of the country may panic? It's not in the same ball park.

People are panic buying. We don't really want the federal government preparing for that. I can just see it. The fed buys 350 million rolls of TP at what.... $2 each to sit in warehouses across the country for rats to eat and piss on in preparation for....

No, please read what I wrote and not put words out which I never spoke. I didn't suggest the government start issuing toilet paper at this time, we are told there is plenty, even if folks might find it difficult to find at times. Regional warehousing of emergency supplies is another matter, we haven't gotten to that point yet, but should be prepared imo.
Region means region, it doesn't mean Seattle.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No, please read what I wrote and not put words out which I never spoke. I didn't suggest the government start issuing toilet paper at this time, we are told there is plenty, even if folks might find it difficult to find at times. Regional warehousing of emergency supplies is another matter, we haven't gotten to that point yet, but should be prepared imo.
Region means region, it doesn't mean Seattle.
You specifically mentioned tp and water along with MREs so I'm not sure how I put words in your mouth.
Items like toilet paper, water & MRE's can easily be made part of a distribution system

Seattle is the biggest city in the REGION of the Northwest. If you think about it, Seattle practically defines region.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You specifically mentioned tp and water along with MREs so I'm not sure how I put words in your mouth.

Seattle is the biggest city in the REGION of the Northwest. If you think about it, Seattle practically defines region.

What I specifically stated was TP, water & MRE's being included as a part of a military distribution for the purposes of regional warehousing of emergency supplies. Katrina was brought up for a few reasons, one being that people were defecating everywhere because there was no alternative. We haven't reached that point yet, although I favor leaning towards preparedness.
Do I really need to define what a region is for you ? A warehouse in eastern Oregon could service up to 4 or 5 states.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Court shut down for a month in NC, schools for at least 2 weeks - never seen anything like this ever

I’m having my kids keep a journal.

Status
Not open for further replies.