Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Court shut down for a month in NC, schools for at least 2 weeks - never seen anything like this ever

I’m having my kids keep a journal.

I'm liking this thread as a journal. The reactions are sometimes predictable, other times amazing, and many times amusing. It's still too early to predict how it's all going to play out, we're at a stage now where it's a bit like being in the eye of a hurricane, waiting to see which way the wind blows next.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Welp. I will never again overestimate the rationality of regular people. I’ve seen some stupid shit in my day, but never on a scale like this, and never as a collective. This is also a clear demonstration of how reckless the media can be in the pursuit of ratings. I mean, it’s not like this is the first new virus, and it for damn sure won’t be the last.

Oh well.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Welp. I will never again overestimate the rationality of regular people. I’ve seen some stupid shit in my day, but never on a scale like this, and never as a collective. This is also a clear demonstration of how reckless the media can be in the pursuit of ratings. I mean, it’s not like this is the first new virus, and it for damn sure won’t be the last.

Oh well.

Curious - What is making you think this isn’t a big deal - or that the world is over reacting to it?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Nothing too drastic in my area. Fresno and hour south of me shut down their schools. My county hasn't done anything like that yet, but I'm sure its coming. No reported cases of COVID19 in my county. But I'm sure there will be. Its unavoidable.

The only shortage I see is toilet paper and alcohol. Although the grocery store close to me has plenty of toilet paper and limit their sales to a maximum of two packages. You can forget alcohol. No one in my town is selling any at the moment. Luckily, its something I always keep on hand so I'm good for a few weeks.

We're pretty stocked in our home with food and supplies. The only place I will go for the next two or three weeks is the golf course. Doesn't seem as risky as other places. Other than that I will be binge watching Netflix and Amazon. I think I finally convinced my wife we have to stop shopping the rest of the month or we could be exposed. Maybe we could finally save a few bucks the rest of the month. *Crossing my fingers*.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Curious - What is making you think this isn’t a big deal - or that the world is over reacting to it?
I don't think it's *not* a big deal, because death is a big deal, but I also don't think it's worthy of this public response. There needs to be clear understanding of who's at risk so some sobriety can set in, and the media is not helping in this regard. Like with the flu, there are those most at risk. The already infirmed, those who are immunocompromised, and the elderly. So I can understand if they need to stock up in order to avoid large groups of people for a while. What I don't understand is why people who are perfectly healthy, in good shape, and not old, are hoarding everything in sight like it's the plague. It's not. it's the 19th version of coronavirus; and as I mentioned earlier, not unlike the common cold or flu. So these perfectly healthy people are actually screwing those who actually *need* to prepare for isolation. Like my mom, who has COPD. Not me, who can survive this if I contract it.

People hear "6,000 dead" (most in China & Italy), and they think it's a death sentence if contracted here. What does the media do? They repeat the phrase "6,000 dead". Do you hear much about the 80,000 who recovered? Globally, the World Health Organization estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year. Hear much about that from the mainstream? No. Why? Because it's not new, fresh, or worthy of headlines. It's just what happens every year and people know what to do every flu season. They should be doing the same thing now. Wash your hands, be aware of where hygiene is lacking, and take precautions. If you're susceptible to complications from this, then prepare accordingly. If you're not, then settle the fuck down and just be smart.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Oh well.

This article is a prime example of media fear-mongering.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/f...ed-to-hunker-down-more/ar-BB11dwhm?li=BBnb7Kz

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Today's numbers... 2,815 infected, 59 dead for a mortality rate of 2.0%.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Today's numbers... 2,815 infected, 59 dead for a mortality rate of 2.0%.

Most of us are healthy enough where it wouldn't kill us if we get sick. But I'm sure just about all of us have someone we care about who is definitely at risk. Plus, no one wants to get sick. Overreaction is better than under reaction. But there's a level of overreaction that is the problem. And we're starting to see that level. The economy is taking a hit right now due to that level of overreaction.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Heard some lady call in on a talk radio give her thoughts on what this Corona Virus Panic reminder her of......

Sorta my thoughts too.

In our area NWFL & lower AL (Named "Wire Grass') even most stores including Walmart's still have TP, water & packaged butt wipes as of Friday night. What items that was wiped out was Hand sanitizer, Disinfecting wipes & Baby wipes. But most may know I live in a mostly rural area where still most of the roads are mostly clay roads too. Things around here are still normal.

We do have a few human units (over a 100 miles or more away) that returned to the deep south & returned with Coronavirus gifts...one in Montgomery AL the other two are in Santa Rose county Florida all travelled elsewhere to come home sick.

Last edited:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Yea, this is great time for hypochondria and neuroticism to parlay in the park or where ever there’s a sign that says, pandemonium here.

In the USA the stats report an average 30 million people per year (flu season) in the USA suffer with regular influenza. Where is that 30 million in this pandemic – its not mentioned?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQrbi34GWLM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BJRF7ZaOlQ

Watch 50 seconds in.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWjLuV1xde0

Testing: Apparently the DNA sample taken from anyone suspected of having the virus needs to be analyzed within 2 hours – after that the sample is kaput.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgyzdgf66eM

Covid 19 DNA testing

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQwfuJgJ9lo

Here is a informative review.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQwfuJgJ9lo

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking at the way the mortality rate has dipped in the past week gives me hope we will be sub 1% in about another month.

We have gone down near an entire percent with the spike in testing, so hope it continues.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking at the way the mortality rate has dipped in the past week gives me hope we will be sub 1% in about another month.

We have gone down near an entire percent with the spike in testing, so hope it continues.
It's already there or lower with unreported or misdiagnosed cases IMO. There are a lot of people that have the flu and are getting better not thinking they have anything else.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Before the invention of toilet paper:

People used leaves, grass, ferns, corn cobs, maize, fruit skins, seashells, stone, sand, moss, snow and water. The simplest way was physical use of one's hand. Wealthy people usually used wool, lace or hemp.

Romans were the cleanest. Wealthy used wool and rosewater and others used sponge attached to a wooden stick, soaked in a bucket of salt water.

The Greeks would use clay.

In Coastal Regions, mussel shells were used (and sometimes coconut husk).

Europeans used hand (but they also used fountains with luxury of warm water).

People from Islamic cultures used they left hand with little water (they are still doing that today). This is why it is offensive to greet someone with your left hand.

The Eskimos would use moss or snow.

The Vikings used wool.

The Colonial Americans used the core center cobs from shelled ears of corn.

The Mayans used corn cobs.

The French invented the first bidet (of course without of modern plumbing).

The Chinese invented the first toilet paper as we know it in the 14th Century.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's already there or lower with unreported or misdiagnosed cases IMO. There are a lot of people that have the flu and are getting better not thinking they have anything else.
And again I realize that. Just sticking to the numbers that are known, as everything else gets spun into fucking madness nowadays.

When we dip into that sub 1% range the media is going to need to take notice and change tact. I eagerly await that.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I think the 2% death rate is bogus. They aren't accounting for potentially thousands upon thousands of people that have it and haven't been tested.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the death rate is being kept down by the paranoia. The greater care everybody has to avoid getting it, the fewer highly vulnerable don't have it passed on to them. Knowing what to do to avoid passing it to grandma is a good thing. For that matter, while the hoarding of hand sanitizer is bad, the increased awareness of proper hand cleaning is good now, and will be good going forward.

That being said, people who are acting like the worst is over are almost certainly wrong. And death rates in countries hard hit soared AFTER it spread widely, because medical resources were spread thin.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
When I saw the lady at Trader Joe’s with her shopping cart full of frozen pakoras all I could think about was her binge eating while binge watching TV And getting super fat. Good luck with that lady. See you next week at the grocery store

Status
Not open for further replies.