ROD mock draft in 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Ok guys - am signing out for tonight - back in about 6 hours - Draft well my friends, just dont draft the guys I want.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Next year maybe we could do a speed draft AND a draft like this. That way anybody who's willing can participate in a realistic draft, 5-10 minutes per pick and all that, get through the draft in a couple days, just like the real draft. We can set it for a specific time that accommodates most of us US people, since we're the majority, although any fans from other countries are welcome to join too, it just might be a little inconvenient. We could do quite a few of these too if we have enough people.

At the same time, we can do a longer draft like this, which works well for all people to be able to participate and doesn't leave anybody out of the mock drafting experience.

Alan

Legend
Dieter the Brock with this:
I'm having a blast with this format and when we are done with these 5 rounds I'm more than happy to PM you and give all my humble ideas forth with the hopes at least some of the notes may spark something that could help this event be even more fun - I think all of us should submit notes too on how we can make this more successful and more entertaining

The issue of having to wait for your next pick for up to 12 hours plus is something I think we can solve quickly

I think whomever is running the draft - the ROD Draft Master should have waaaaaay more authority to move things along - but hat requires for participants to know what is expected and participating should require a little bit of work, like making a list of your favorite players per round (five rounds) and the Draft Master uses that to make picks if you don't show up within your alotted time - 15 minutes between picks like real life -- and if a player isn't on the list the Draft Master makes the call if he participant doesn't sbmit an alternative and is unavailable within their alotted time

But this requires solid dates for our mock event to work

If you look at the real draft format -- it doesn't go on for weeks but only a few days and each day is broken up into a certain amount of rounds. Like the 1st round is in primetime in Friday and essentially no team walks away without having made a pick that night. Day two is second & third etc... With the same expectations - you will have selected players during a set time.

By holding the draft during a defined period of time GM's of Teams know how to manage expectations and don't get massively impatient when suddenly the 2 picks in succession comes to a screeching halt cause of a time zone issue or work.

Let's hold the mock draft like the real NFL draft format and give you @Alan way more power to make the picks when the participant is not there
Ok, lets break this down. But first, let's rid ourselves of a misconception. I already have more power than I can handle. If I were to suddenly say we were going to cut the pick time period from 12 hours to 8 hours nobody would say squat. I won't do that because that isn't what our mockers signed up for and all it would take is 1 mocker who didn't like the change and decided to opt out to screw this up. I'm not going to take their place. I'm already on the cusp of drafting for the Cowgirls and a couple other teams that I won't mention. That's not something I signed up for and it's not something I want to do.

"I think all of us should submit notes too on how we can make this more successful and more entertaining"
That's a good idea but let's see how much response we get before we pat ourselves on the back. Please do this everyone.

"I think whomever is running the draft - the ROD Draft Master should have waaaaaay more authority to move things along" I've already established that I have virtually unlimited authority so this is moot. It doesn't actually require the participants to know what is expected, it requires someone willing to expend the time and effort to replace me if I were to suddenly institute rule changes that were not popular.

(i'm going to edit this a little for clarity)
"like making a list of your favorite players per round (five rounds) and the Draft Master uses that to make picks if you don't show up within your allotted time - 15 minutes between picks like real life -- and if a player isn't on the list the Draft Master ( I like Dungeon Master better :LOL:) makes the call if he participant doesn't submit an alternative and is unavailable within their allotted time"
First of all, again you are assigning a huge increase in work for the Dungeon Master. Again this is a nonstarter for me. Are you volunteering to run the mock next year? If so, then this is a great idea IF you can convince 32 posters to provide you with those very detailed draft boards. I see zero chance of that happening. Maybe I'm wrong. Run next year's mock and see how that goes.

More importantly, how does that effect the overall enjoyment of each individual GM? If I screwed up a GM's plan of attack is he going to be a happy camper and have such a great experience that he wants to play again next year? Why are we doing this? For fun or to see how closely we can math the real thing? Sure, he didn't follow the "rules" but it's more important for me that EVERYONE has a good time that it is for us to finish in 2 weeks. As you said yourself, you're having a blast despite the delays. How much of a blast would it be if I drafted a player for you that you didn't like or want?
"If you look at the real draft format -- it doesn't go on for weeks but only a few days and each day is broken up into a certain amount of rounds."
How long does just the first round take? They divided the draft up into three days mostly for the money but also because it took WAY too much time. Everyone is in the same place and in the same time zone. Again, not a viable/feasible solution. I can just see Shaunpinney and Ramrocket agreeing to stay up all nigh to do a fake draft.

Don't get the idea that I'm not appreciative of your ideas because that would not be true. Hit me with any more you think of or rebut my disagreements because I'm totally open to improving this experience for all my friends here at the ROD. If anyone else here disagrees with my rebuttals please make your disagreement known. This is not about who is right or wrong it's about making things better for everyone. I have no dog in this fight.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
TheDYVKX with this idea:
Next year maybe we could do a speed draft AND a draft like this. That way anybody who's willing can participate in a realistic draft, 5-10 minutes per pick and all that, get through the draft in a couple days, just like the real draft. We can set it for a specific time that accommodates most of us US people, since we're the majority, although any fans from other countries are welcome to join too, it just might be a little inconvenient. We could do quite a few of these too if we have enough people.
The bolded part will be your stumbling block IMO. But tell me this, why can't you run a parallel mock right now? There's plenty of time. Will you agree to run it? I'll participate myself as long as I don't have to pick for the Rams.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
The bolded part will be your stumbling block IMO. But tell me this, why can't you run a parallel mock right now? There's plenty of time. Will you agree to run it? I'll participate myself as long as I don't have to pick for the Rams.

A draft similar to this, or a "speed draft" with 5 to 10 minutes per pick max?

Either way, I can create a thread soon and maybe @CGI_Ram or someone can sticky it. If we get enough people, we can run one and I'd commish. It's a little short notice, but we can see how it goes.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Ok guys - am signing out for tonight - back in about 6 hours - Draft well my friends, just dont draft the guys I want.

rotfl.PNG
rotfl.PNG

Alan

Legend
TheDYVKX ironing out the details:
A draft similar to this, or a "speed draft" with 5 to 10 minutes per pick max?

Either way, I can create a thread soon and maybe @CGI_Ram or someone can sticky it. If we get enough people, we can run one and I'd commish. It's a little short notice, but we can see how it goes.
I'm not sure you can get many people to agree to a speed draft. Not many can devote a 320 minute chunk (per round) of their down time to do that. In addition to the things happening in our lives there's also the fact that we need to devote enough time to our original draft to not lessen the experience for the rest of our members. I'm in if it's like an hour or two to make your pick and you give everyone time to sleep at their normal times. Or at least at times they are willing to sleep/be available but let's see how many people you get to participate. Just PM CGI and I'm sure he'd have no problem with that. You'll need to make some kind of blanket appeal to all who want to play. Let's cross our fingers.

Last edited:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'm not sure you can get many people to agree to a speed draft. Not many can devote a 320 minute chunk of their down time to do that. In addition to the things happening in our lives there's also the fact that we need to devote enough time to our original draft to not lessen the experience for the rest of our members. I'm in if it's like an hour or two to make your pick and you give everyone time to sleep at their normal times. Or at least at times they are willing to sleep/be available but let's see how many people you get to participate. Just PM CGI and I'm sure he'd have no problem with that. You'll need to make some kind of blanket appeal to all who want to play. Let's cross our fingers.

True. Or we could do 2-3 minutes a pick and get through the first round in about an hour to an hour and a half. We will see. I'll make the thread tomorrow morning with the different options and if anybody has any feedback in the meantime, I would appreciate it.

Alan

Legend
2-3 minutes per pick @TheDYVKX ? Not much time to talk about each pick or shop for trades. Let's see how it shakes out. We are still missing the key agreement. Participants.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
2-3 minutes per pick @TheDYVKX ? Not much time to talk about each pick or shop for trades. Let's see how it shakes out. We are still missing the key agreement. Participants.

I'm in, but lets wait a few days until this exhausting draft is over. jmo

Alan

Legend
Riverumbbq with an optimistic view:
I'm in, but lets wait a few days until this exhausting draft is over. jmo
We'll be lucky to finish this before the real draft starts. It took us 27 days to finish 4 rounds last year. I'm hopeful we'll get in 5 rounds in less time this year but we'll see. If we don't have it soon I doubt well ever have it. If we can actually get enough mockers. So far I count 3. LOL!

Last edited: