ROD mock draft in 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
With the 15th Pick the Rams select CB Mackensie Alexander, Clemson.

Im sure this will go over like a Led Zeppelin but with our first 2 options are off the board Alexander was the highest graded player on the board.

FUCK. Guess I should have traded up.

By the way, I'm okay with the pick. I would have gone a different direction, but I'm a big fan of Alexander

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I hate going defense at 15 and want a QB dammit. That said, Alexander would probably be the best corner in this draft after a year or two under Williams. So I could live with it.

Don't forget, he already traded for a QB. New England's Jimmy Garoppolo went to the Rams earlier. I like him better than both Lynch & Cook.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You think there's still a QB on the board worth the 15th pick in the draft?

Yes. Lynch is worthy of that pick in my estimation. Needs a redshirt year but elite ceiling which we badly need at the position.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I guess I'll be that "dick" this time. I think this to be a terrible situation for the Rams. First, the success rate on first round corners has to be like 20%. It seems to be one of the toughest positions to scout. Look at all the huge busts in the last couple years alone, Claiborne, that dude in Cleveland that nobody even knows anymore, think his name was Justin something... Second, highest graded player or not, when you're a team like the Rams, you need to take the highest graded player at position of need IMO. This kid probably wouldn't even play. Tru and Gaines are starting. And I have a hard time seeing Alexander beating out Roberson or even Joyner, as a rookie. The Rams defense is built to win now. Can't take these types that will maybe make an impact in the future. You need to take a guy you think will make a big impact right away. I would have reached on a Corey Coleman or even Josh Doctson because we are so desperately thin at receiver. Just my opinion of course. I'll give you credit, because you really did try and trade back, which is what I hope the Rams would do, if the draft turned out the way ours is.

Its ok to be the dick, Im not easily offended lol. I disagree in selecting the highest graded player of need. The difference we have is I do think he can step right in and play. Do you think Gaines is starting? Are you sure he is going to be ready to go? Will he have any set backs?

Also were we disagree a lot is you state the defense is built to win now. Who is the player that makes an impact right away? Most rookies dont step in and make a huge impact right away. Alexander is a potential shut down corner who watches hours of film. To me his talent and work ethic will allow him to make an impact sooner than anyone else that would of been drafted here.

Im not a huge Coleman fan and talk about needing time to develop. This kid barely ran the route tree. He is likely to have any impact his rookie year. Same for Doctson....who I do actually like but he is another guy who will need time to learn routes also.

I guess my question to you who is this guy who makes the impact right away that we passed on?

I will be open, I thought hard about Darron Lee as someone who could step in and make an impact but a draft is about projecting 3 years in advance. I believe Alexander could be a top 5 player out of this draft in 3 years and if he was 6'1" he would of been a top 5 pick IMO

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I hate going defense at 15 and want a QB dammit. That said, Alexander would probably be the best corner in this draft after a year or two under Williams. So I could live with it.

We traded for Garoppolo and Im just not a Lynch fan. But I agree I want a QB.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I picked Alexander over Apple because I think he better. He was the best CB on my board. Darron Lee was on my short list as well as Rankins and Dodd.

You can call it a blown pick but I have Alexander as the best corner in this draft. I guess we will see.
For what it's worth, according to the "CBS" Big board Alexander has dropped from the 4th ranked Player (Over-All) to #21 and falling. And Apple has jumped up from #32 to #16 over-all (and climbing) in the same rankings. Just saying. Food for thought!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
For what it's worth, according to the "CBS" Big board Alexander has dropped from the 4th ranked Player (Over-All) to #21 and falling. And Apple has jumped up from #32 to #16 over-all (and climbing) in the same rankings. Just saying. Food for thought!

Why the drastic change? They havent played a game in 3 months, did the tape change? I watched just about every game Alexander played this year. I like him better than Apple.

Dont start with big boards please. Dan Jeremiah of NFL.com has Alexander at 22 and Apple at 23. Everyone has a different opinion. Im sure if I do a bunch of google searches we will find a bunch like Apple better and a bunch like Alexander better......food for thought.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Personally, I would have gone Josh Doctson for the Rams. I think he's a better route runner than he's given credit for and his physical presence and ability to go up and make contested catches is exactly what we need.

However, the Alexander pick isn't a bad one. You can never have enough corners, and what if Gaines doesn't come back the same? What if we can't negotiate a long term contract with Tru?

It's a perfectly acceptable pick. Do we need him? No. But it's still a fine pick and gives us insurance for the future. Plus I think he's a stud and it keeps our defense loaded.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Personally, I would have gone Josh Doctson for the Rams. I think he's a better route runner than he's given credit for and his physical presence and ability to go up and make contested catches is exactly what we need.

However, the Alexander pick isn't a bad one. You can never have enough corners, and what if Gaines doesn't come back the same? What if we can't negotiate a long term contract with Tru?

It's a perfectly acceptable pick. Do we need him? No. But it's still a fine pick and gives us insurance for the future. Plus I think he's a stud and it keeps our defense loaded.

And a lot more CAP friendly than JJ.

Alan

Legend
DaveFan'51 misreading:
For what it's worth, according to the "CBS" Big board Alexander has dropped from the 4th ranked Player (Over-All) to #21 and falling.!
I'm pretty sure you misread that Dave. "After redshirting in 2013 as the No. 4 overall recruit (ESPN) in the nation." I can find no evidence that CBS has changed it's tune on his positional ranking in the draft.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BOOOOOO!! He's not even the best CB left on the Board! Why not Eli Apple!!?
And if you had to go Defense why Not OLB Darron Lee or DT Sheldon Rankins!!?
AND! Why not WR Josh Doctson !

Your right, in my book, this went over "Like a lead ..."

1st Blown pick of the Draft!!
I disagree, he's better than Eli who I don't think will ever be anything above average. Also the OLB and DT options are nothing more than one or two down players. I'd have preferred Lynch but if we go defense I can see this being the pick.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

I'm not a big Apple guy. He's not good in coverage and is an awful tackler. You can look up the play where he gets dragged 10 yards to see how bad he is. The only thing he does well is cover deep routes, because he has the size to get into position and make a play.

Sure his upside is higher, but a lot of corners have high upside and never work out. It's the difference between Justin Gilbert and Jason Verrett. One is a bust, and one is one of the better corners in the game. One is big and athletic, the other is smaller and polished. Give me the good corner but lesser athlete any day. That's how Gaines fell.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

It was close with Doctson, but I think the draft is deep enough to get good value in the 2nd or 3rd.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Why the drastic change? They havent played a game in 3 months, did the tape change? I watched just about every game Alexander played this year. I like him better than Apple.

Agreed. Alexander is a bold, brash dude and probably turned off some of the teams in interviews. But he can flat ball and there's no comparison in my mind between him and Apple. He's a better talent than Jenks was, has a true elite ceiling if he does the work.

One other thing though is that this is a pretty nice CB class. There are going to be some impact corners in round 2 when the Rams have 2 picks, I suspect that's where they'll nab a guy like Burns if they're sweating corner depth. Or a guy like Jones round 3. Again, real nice class defensively just wish the Rams had more picks because they gotta load some offense.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Why the drastic change? They havent played a game in 3 months, did the tape change?
Good question, IDK! Maybe the way the scouts see them progressing from end-of-season, to combine work-outs, to pro-days. I don't have a clue!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good question, IDK! Maybe the way the scouts see them progressing from end-of-season, to combine work-outs, to pro-days. I don't have a clue!
Meh we see these things before every draft. Scouts report this or that and people are rising and falling and more often than not its turns out to be BS. It's also likely team driven. If I'm picking 15 and want Alexander I sneak it out that Apple is better cause I think the team picking 13 wants Alexander. I don't buy these random fluctuations right now, draft boards are set with very little variance the next four weeks.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
With the Alexander pick, the Steelers are looking to trade down from 25. Keep that in mind if you'd like to trade up from the bottom of the 1st or early-mid 2nd.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Agreed. Alexander is a bold, brash dude and probably turned off some of the teams in interviews. But he can flat ball and there's no comparison in my mind between him and Apple. He's a better talent than Jenks was, has a true elite ceiling if he does the work.

One other thing though is that this is a pretty nice CB class. There are going to be some impact corners in round 2 when the Rams have 2 picks, I suspect that's where they'll nab a guy like Burns if they're sweating corner depth. Or a guy like Jones round 3. Again, real nice class defensively just wish the Rams had more picks because they gotta load some offense.

Agree with just about everything here. I think there are some good fits in the 2nd at WR and CB as well. Went CB here because of 2 things. Alexander has the highest ceiling although you can make a case for Doctson too. I agree we need to load up on offense and that is still the plan.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
PFF on Mackensie Alexander :

Position fit:
Best as a man-cover corner, despite his relative lack of size.

Stat to know:
Allowed just 33 percent of passes into his coverage to be caught in 2015, best in the draft class.

What he does best:
• Matches receivers very well, including players with impressive size and speed. Didn’t allow more than four catches in a single game all season

• Plays bigger than he is. Measured at just 5-foot-10-inches, 190-pounds, but looks like a 6-foot corner on tape at times.

• Smooth mover, could transition well and live with receivers. Criticized for not getting interceptions, but press-man corners rarely get many picks. His game was more about preventing receptions, which he did very well.

• Can come up and tackle well in the run game or against short passes. Often the first man at the ball when playing deep.

Biggest concern:
• Less comfortable in zone schemes and seems to struggle to change direction at times reacting to a receiver’s pattern when he doesn’t have his hands on them.

• Coverage grade was only above-average, but was hung out to dry a little by Clemson’s coverages that often left him isolated with no underneath help or safety over the top, leading to easy completions underneath in off-coverage.

• Height is an issue for some NFL teams, who simply don’t believe short, small corners can play against NFL wide receivers. Will be passed over or ignored entirely by some teams because of this.

• Can be beaten at times, and coverage numbers flatter his play over the last two seasons. Big plays were left on the field by poor offensive execution—likely won’t be at the next level.

Bottom line:
The self-proclaimed best cornerback in the draft, Alexander is a player whose stock is all over the place. Anybody criticizing him for zero college interceptions is missing the point entirely, but there are enough concerns about his play and size to prevent him from being a surefire top-10 pick. Still, Alexander should be a solid first-round player.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I disagree, he's better than Eli who I don't think will ever be anything above average. Also the OLB and DT options are nothing more than one or two down players. I'd have preferred Lynch but if we go defense I can see this being the pick.
I mentioned Lee because I like him better than Jack! Lee had an outstanding combine, and did the 40 in 4.43! He has a SPARQ score of "140.1", Broad jumped over 11 ft.! I would have gone after him before Alexander! JMO