VENT Official Vent Thread - Will be taken down in 24 hours

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
I don't think I can say anything that hasn't already been said here. It's just the second game; plenty of time to right the ship.

As a side note, perhaps this is Murray's breakout year?

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Rams have the 3rd worst rushing defense based on yardage given up. (394 yards)

Rams have the 2nd worst rushing defense based on average yards per rush (5.6)

Rams have the worst rushing defense based on rushing first downs given up (26)

San Fran offensive linemen are looking forward to this Sunday.

Memphis Ram

Legend
This game sorta reminded me of when the Cardinals blasted the Rams in 2021. I turned it off at half time. I don't know if this team will go on to win the Super Bowl like that one, but Just about everything went right for the Cardinals.

My concerns on offense:

I'm still not getting why the 6'7" TE isn't being used in the redzone.
The Rams were either tipping the run or Budda Baker was luckily run blitzing on just about every run.
Where was the play action to offset?
Tyler Johnson is a good WR, but his lack of speed and blocking leaves me concerned.
Having 4 of the same size/type of RBs is a mistake. One should at least be able to have defenders make business decisions.

I hope Kupp doesn't miss much time, but a part of me wonders if the offense might get better in the long term if Stafford can spread the ball around more in the interim and gain confidence in the other targets. Then when Kupp and Puka get back the offense can really take off.

My concerns on defense:

This team has got to take the ILB position more seriously. Reeder and Rozeboom are simply not the answer. But, neither was Ernest Jones, IMO. Put Speights in and see what he can do.

The clips of Tre'Davious White getting beat during training camp concerned me and it appears he's still not himself, though he was never a shutdown type, IMO. Maybe they shouldn't scheme him like he is one. I wonder if he can play nickel so that they can line Witherspoon and Durant outside and move Lake back to FS where he probably belongs.

Bobby Brown is not having the contract year performance I was hoping for so far this season. They need to activate Durden to spell him and limit his reps.

Last edited:

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
1. Offensively, hard to get anything going when your 3rd string LT can't slow the defender down. Kyren also missed a few blitz pickups, one was a terrible attempt. I don't fault Warren, as he wasn't supposed to be playing yet but he's not a LT. RT maybe.

2. It's not hard to understand that being down Puka, and then Kupp really put us in an awful spot. ARI could t-off on the running game, and just blitz every time knowing we didn't have the outside or downfield threat.

3. Tutu, why is he on the team? Drops and easy ball. Doesn't KR or PR. I mean, it's annoying at this point.

4. Run the ball with Corum. I like Ronnie, but Corum is a much better runner. I don't care if he's not a good blocker yet, don't have him out there on passing downs.

5. I saw Fiske get a few pressures. He's not supposed to be the big run stuffer, he's the slasher which he did. Bobby Brown is supposed to be that big guy, but he can't hold up or at least didn't yesterday. Turner had a nice sack, but he's the guy we were supposed to lean on and unless I'm missing something, he's been pretty underwhelming so far with BB. Fiske is a rookie without AD, he'll grow.

6. Verse and Young are going to be fun. Verse ended with 3 TFL and a FF. Missed Murray a time or two but I credit Murray, and the fact that Verse is probably still getting used to the speed of the NFL and Murray especially.

7. ILBs Reeder and Rozeboom are poverty players. I mean, they have zero business starting. It's another one of those situations where the Rams get cute and try to be cheap and think they can get away with it. They can't. At this point, start bringing in Hummel and Speights. It won't be worse, and they can start to grow. Ernest wouldn't have made a huge difference, but he's a damn good Blitzer and run stopper. Both of which we failed at yesterday.

8. CBs are a mess. Tre White looks like he's had two season ending injuries, maybe he's still getting into game shape and knocking off a massive amount of rust, or maybe, just maybe.. injuries caught up to him. I liked the signing to be a #2 or #3, but not #1. The same for Darius Williams. Badly wanted a CB1 in the draft or via trade. Two aging and often injured CBs signed to be #1/#2 is a disaster waiting to happen.

9. I like Curl, and know Kinchens gave up a bad play, but think they end the season as starters at S. I have never gotten the love for Lake. He just looks like a special teamer, not a starter at S. He's slow to react, and doesn't have the speed to cover deep. He also struggled with tackling at times.

10. I was VERY skeptical about the hiring of Chris Shula as DC, absolutely did not like it. I wanted Vabrel or someone else. Just felt like a buddy hiring for McVay. BUT, I think he called a decent game. Most of the damn TDs were broken coverage deep after Murray evaded multiple defenders. I mean, that's not on Shula. I'm not on the anti Shula wagon for now. But damn, man.. mix up the coverages and add some exotics to blitzing. And for the love of God, make some changes at ILB next week.

We got our asses kicked, and what really bothers me is how it looked like they didn't have any energy, fight, or dawg in them. Just looked flat and and like they came out ready to get their asses kicked.

And lastly, thank God our QB is Stafford. There's not another damn QB in the NFL that could take these shots, and still make plays he's made or had to.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tyler Johnson is a good WR, but his lack of speed and blocking leaves me concerned.

that's why he was the wr6. spot play is ok but bigger roles, forget about it.

I hope Kupp doesn't miss much time, but a part of me wonders if the offense might get better in the long term if Stafford can spread the ball around more in the interim and gain confidence in the other targets. Then when Kupp and Puka get back the offense can really take off.

that's what we thought in 22 but then stafford found puka in 23 and it was puka every time all the time.

stafford can't help himself. he latches onto one receiver and can't get off him.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
On the surface you would think next game will be another lopsided score. AZ is not that good and beat us by 31. SF is good. But after a thorough ass whooping like that teams tend to buckle down and not let it happen again. No, I don't think we win. And I don't think it will be that close. But it won't be another blowout. I do expect them to run for 150 plus against our weak run defense.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Although it is a major bummer waiting for football season to get here and then having to wait longer, I'm sure we all enjoy meaningful football more in December and January than we do in September. The question is-- and I'm repeating others here-- how deep a hole will we have to climb out of when we get enough pieces back to field a competitive team?

I hope having both starting tackles back next week will help shore up the play in the middle. We need WR blocking game back in a hurry. Budda Baker had a career day and gave teams the blueprint on stopping our rushing attack.

I hope Whittington steps up. Stafford needs someone to feed.
This shit-show of a start to the season might be a catalyst to accelerating our WR depth, but I have no faith in the flash moments I've seen from T. Johnson and TuTu. We need more than their one or two plays a game. We need a guy who can deliver their combined catch production every drive.

Tre White appears to be washed...made me miss Derion Kendrick.

I've always believed in this team and McVay. But I'm not sure I can watch next Sunday fellas. We don't have the bodies to compete with the 49ers. https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-defense-rankings/ has us 31st ranked Defense-- a coin flip with the Panthers for dead last.
Would any Ram fan honestly feel good about our chances if we had a "get right" game against the Panthers next Sunday?

The correlation between watchable and unwatchable Ram's football the last 30 years has been contingent on whether an elite Left Tackle was on the roster. It was our biggest need by far in the off season. And we ignored it.

Like McVay said in his presser. There were no positives in this game.

I can handle the agony of defeat. Nothing is given, and I love competition. But I can't handle investing my Sundays watching a team that that people search for in their weekly survivor leagues.

DOOM and GLOOM I tell ya. Its why the McVay magic is going to be extra special this year when we turn it around. The guys doesn't know how to quit.

You hear that Aaron Donald? I know you fought with your wife yesterday when she saw the look in your eyes watching the defense you thought you left in a good place. Lace them up man.

Tano

Legend
I don't think I can say anything that hasn't already been said here. It's just the second game; plenty of time to right the ship.

As a side note, perhaps this is Murray's breakout year?
He will get hurt after 8 games - he always does

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Cooper Kupp is 31. The age where injuries start to happen more often. I fear we won't have a healthy Kupp again. And Puka did have injury concerns when he was drafted. The injury bug rearing its ugly head again.

Braden Fiske. I kept hearing and reading how Fiske was a disruptive force in camp. Hard to block. First two games I have to look to see if a number 55 is even out there. He's been invisible. Another case of fans over valuing a camp star? We want so bad for someone to take Donald's place we might have turned Fiske into another Nelson Spruce.

I do expect a better effort next week. McVay will make sure of that. Do I think we win? No I don't. 49ers are just a better team. Period. Unless that any given Sunday thing happens.

I don't know whats gonna happen the next 15 games. I do know that since 1990 teams that start 0-2 only 11 percent have made the playoffs. Teams that start 0-3 only 2.5 percent have made the playoffs. That is what we are facing.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
that's why he was the wr6. spot play is ok but bigger roles, forget about it.

that's what we thought in 22 but then stafford found puka in 23 and it was puka every time all the time.

stafford can't help himself. he latches onto one receiver and can't get off him.

That’s not true. Puka and Kupp had an almost identical number of targets the second half of last season once Kupp came back.

pvtdragon39

Rookie
After the last two games, I want both Speights and Hummel to replace both Rozeboom and Reeder.
This! Should have been 1st quarter yesterday, or at least to give Reeder and Boom a break in 1st game. They wont learn if they have no snaps. We wont know if they are any good neither.

pvtdragon39

Rookie
He will get hurt after 8 games - he always does
Im not worried about Cards, Im worried about Sea, Viks, and Tampa. They look strong and healthy atm. Saints are looking strong as well. They are sleeper contenders I think. We shall see since it early and they could fall apart.

Haden

Kurt Warner for President
Name
Dave
Tre White appears washed. Seems like we need to get Witherspoon in there. Our CBs are really weak. Our LBs are really weak. D is kind of a mess right now and they don't have injury excuses..

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
The only positive I took from this game is Verse. He is consistently beating his blocker. He looks like a keeper and perhaps the only impact player on defense. Sure, Murray escaped his sacks twice, but there are not a lot of Murray's in this league. I see Verse as DROY when the dust settles. The rest of the entire team however..... yuck. It is infuriating that we are so susceptible to injuries. I saw Mixons ankle damn near turn backwards and, guess what, he was back out there playing a short while later. If he was a Ram? He would have needed emergency surgery on the field and medically retired.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
This game sorta reminded me of when the Cardinals blasted the Rams in 2021. I turned it off at half time. I don't know if this team will go on to win the Super Bowl like that one, but Just about everything went right for the Cardinals.

My concerns on offense:

I'm still not getting why the 6'7" TE isn't being used in the redzone.
The Rams were either tipping the run or Budda Baker was luckily run blitzing on just about every run.
Where was the play action to offset?
Having 4 of the same size/type of RBs is a mistake. One should at least be able to have defenders make business decisions.

My concerns on defense:

This team has got to take the ILB position more seriously. Reeder and Rozeboom are simply not the answer. But, neither was Ernest Jones, IMO. Put Speights in and see what he can do.

The clips of Tre'Davious White getting beat during training camp concerned me and it appears he's still not himself, though he was never a shutdown type, IMO. Maybe they shouldn't scheme him like he is one. I wonder if he can play nickel so that they can line Witherspoon and Durant outside and move Lake back to FS where he probably belongs.

Bobby Brown is not having the contract year performance I was hoping for so far this season. They need to activate Durden to spell him and limit his reps.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday about the Rams tipping their hand to the opposing defense. Either the Cardinals were the luckiest team on earth yesterday or they saw something on film that tipped the Rams playcalling. Because damn, it looked like they knew our playsheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.