New Defense - Ongoing season discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I too love Office Space ...
1726079089930.png

1726079229526.png

1726079422363.png

I will stop now ... I promise ... I promise, I will TRY to stop now.

Last edited:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Cody Alexander makes these charts for defensive coverage, blitz, and disguise rates. It'll be interesting to see how it changes throughout the season. I merged the week 1 chart and last seasons end of year chart for a quick comparison. I wish he would've kept the layout the same.

Blitz/Stunt
-Stunts are way up and simulated pressures are down. Adding Verse and Fiske probably helps increase the stunts.
blitz_cmp.png

Coverage
-Doubled Cover-0 and nearly doubled Cover-2
cov_cmp.png

Disguise
dis_cmp.png

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
So it was tied up with both teams going into overtime.
One team is blowing the other team off the line of scrimmage and running the ball down their throat.

Nothing to compliment on that.
The D kept the team in the game after being down 17-3. The O had a chance to close it out in regulation and didnt get it done. The D held detroit to a fg on the last drive to get to OT. The coin toss was unfortunate and the D went right back out there. Would have liked to get a stop but cant blame the D for being gassed at that point. Its a team game and the team didnt finish, but the loss isnt on 1 side of the ball or the other, both had the opportunity to close it out and both failed. Its still early and we have a lot to be excited about.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Barring injuries, this D is going to be nasty come playoffs time. Just got to get there, splints, wraps, good pain meds and all.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Gonna need a heavy dose of nasty at NT and ILB. Saw a big nastiness void in those areas Sunday night.
Well, we have to count on rookies for both of those I think. Fiske and Speights are going to have to develop their games quickly. But if they both do, we will be trouble.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Loved the way Verse looked. Not at all worried about Fiske, I thought he showed very well too for his first NFL game, in a hostile road environment, against arguably the best o-line in the NFL. Ditto for Verse re: doing what he did against such stout opposition right off the hop. There is quite a jump from college to NFL in terms of game speed and sheet strength/size of opposition. Hugely impressive they both did not skip a beat. I think their chemistry really helped there, playing together at FSU already.

They were doubling Fiske quite a bit, which I think says a lot, not sure why so many are down on Fiske's performance. It is hard to get pressure up the middle. I think people forget that after years of Aaron Donald. AD99 was literally a unicorn. You cannot expect interior players to "flash" that much or be that disruptive, so get Donald's tape out of your memory. It isn't reality. The fact Donald was comparable if not statistically better than almost every edge is mind-blowing. Because you really cannot compare the two positions. I think Fiske did well. A few times though, I saw him swipe for the Goff while being held up a few feet away, and not quite reaching Jared. The short arms were noticeable a few times, and for the worst. A lankier players likely could have reached Goff and dragged him down. But all in all, happy with both these FSU products, I think Verse will be the better of the two, unsurprisingly given his draft position, but I think we have two studs.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Cody Alexander makes these charts for defensive coverage, blitz, and disguise rates. It'll be interesting to see how it changes throughout the season. I merged the week 1 chart and last seasons end of year chart for a quick comparison. I wish he would've kept the layout the same.

Blitz/Stunt
-Stunts are way up and simulated pressures are down. Adding Verse and Fiske probably helps increase the stunts.
View attachment 67550

Coverage
-Doubled Cover-0 and nearly doubled Cover-2
View attachment 67553

Disguise
View attachment 67554
Please keep this kind of stuff coming throughout the season. Extremely interesting!!!