Jonah Jackson at center!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so I hope I'm not being repetitive.

I agree that it's a little disconcerting that their big plan is shifting so quickly. Suboptimal.
I do wonder if the driving force may be Jackson's health and concerns they have about it and the downstream impacts of him missing time.
Enter Beaux Limmer.
Maybe the driving force of the move is that they believe if Jackson goes down, the smoothest transfer is to have Limmer back him up at center.. and that would result in only one position being impacted and Avila can just focus on being the best left guard possible.
This is what I’ve been saying all along. This move is more about Limmer than it is about Avila. The Rams want to use their best IOL off the bench should Jackson not be able to play. Apparently the Rams feel that person is Limmer.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The only time it makes sense to position starters based on depth quality is when your depth may be better than one of your starters.

WestCoastRam

Legend
This is what I’ve been saying all along. This move is more about Limmer than it is about Avila. The Rams want to use their best IOL off the bench should Jackson not be able to play. Apparently the Rams feel that person is Limmer.
I think this is a reasonable assumption that many made here

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
The only time it makes sense to position starters based on depth quality is when your depth may be better than one of your starters.
Maybe they don't see him as better than one of the starters, but may view him as a starter-level player.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe they don't see him as better than one of the starters, but may view him as a starter-level player.
Who knows. But as I've been saying when you move dudes around on the OL at the eleventh hour it means somebody has disappointed.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Who knows. But as I've been saying when you move dudes around on the OL at the eleventh hour it means somebody has disappointed.
That's a reasonable take but I disagree with it.

It could be all about best configuration as Jourdan says. Let's say they feel Avila is rated a 90 (using numbers to convey an idea) at LG and an 80 at Center. Jackson is an 85 at LG and an 80 at Center. Your overall best configuration would be Avila at LG and Jackson at Center; yet, neither one has disappointed at Center.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It could be all about best configuration as Jourdan says. Let's say they feel Avila is rated a 90 (using numbers to convey an idea) at LG and an 80 at Center. Jackson is an 85 at LG and an 80 at Center. Your overall best configuration would be Avila at LG and Jackson at Center; yet, neither one has disappointed at Center.
Jackson hasn't played much center of late and did not benefit from the snaps all preseason and camp. To throw him in late is a tell. And that tell is that someone is not up to snuff.

I think it is much more likely that Limmer is expected to move into the starting 5. Which means Jackson is the disppointing player. We'll see though. I am not saying I know what the Rams are thinking. I am just saying there are universal rules with shit like this and generally it's not a good thing when you see indicators we are seeing.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also and btw... IF we go into Detroit with Jackson at Center it's going to be a fucking bloodbath for the OL. Because you have the following elements coming together in combination:

1. Jackson not getting repetitions in camp and preseason at the pivot or in making the calls. This puts more on Stafford, who must be aware of the need to check the line calls to avoid getting put on his ass by free rushers.

2. Detroit's crowd was, according to McVay, the loudest he had heard. Louder than New Orleans in the playoffs and those fucks were using whistles and shit. So the OL being on one sheet of music in the face of this level of hostility is made harder by Jackson not being used to making the calls.

3. OTs will be manned by depth options. This means whoever draws Hutch will probably eat up a TE for assist on deep drop plays. It also means Stafford, who already has to be more aware on line calls, will be unsettled. He has never done well in games where his blindside is in question.

So back to the Center situation... If Avila and Jackson had done well in those roles as a duo throughout camp and scrimmages, there is no fucking way they would have moved them. Avila in fact would be depended upon to lead our OL in what will be a savage and difficult environment.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Jackson hasn't played much center of late and did not benefit from the snaps all preseason and camp. To throw him in late is a tell. And that tell is that someone is not up to snuff.

I think it is much more likely that Limmer is expected to move into the starting 5. Which means Jackson is the disppointing player. We'll see though. I am not saying I know what the Rams are thinking. I am just saying there are universal rules with shit like this and generally it's not a good thing when you see indicators we are seeing.
Could it be that it's easier for someone coming off a bruised scapula who may not have lifted as much lately to start off at center? His left arm was in a sling and he was playing on the left side? I don't know.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Could it be that it's easier for someone coming off a bruised scapula who may not have lifted as much lately to start off at center? His left arm was in a sling and he was playing on the left side? I don't know.
Interesting suggestion but I have no idea. My medical knowledge is on par with the dude at McDonalds who runs the fry station.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Someone on here mentioned Avila being knocked to the ground by Fiske which would say he isn't as stout at Center as he was at Left Guard,

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
1. Jackson not getting repetitions in camp and preseason at the pivot or in making the calls. This puts more on Stafford, who must be aware of the need to check the line calls to avoid getting put on his ass by free rurushers.
Reports are that Jackson did get reps there during the preseason and TC. The media was forbidden to report on it until McVay mentioned it last week.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reports are that Jackson did get reps there during the preseason and TC. The media was forbidden to report on it until McVay mentioned it last week.
Well I guess we'll see how it goes. Detroit game should be very enlightening.

Toothsayer

UDFA
Name
Richard H Stee
Also and btw... IF we go into Detroit with Jackson at Center it's going to be a fucking bloodbath for the OL. Because you have the following elements coming together in combination:

1. Jackson not getting repetitions in camp and preseason at the pivot or in making the calls. This puts more on Stafford, who must be aware of the need to check the line calls to avoid getting put on his ass by free rushers.

2. Detroit's crowd was, according to McVay, the loudest he had heard. Louder than New Orleans in the playoffs and those fucks were using whistles and shit. So the OL being on one sheet of music in the face of this level of hostility is made harder by Jackson not being used to making the calls.

3. OTs will be manned by depth options. This means whoever draws Hutch will probably eat up a TE for assist on deep drop plays. It also means Stafford, who already has to be more aware on line calls, will be unsettled. He has never done well in games where his blindside is in question.

So back to the Center situation... If Avila and Jackson had done well in those roles as a duo throughout camp and scrimmages, there is no fucking way they would have moved them. Avila in fact would be depended upon to lead our OL in what will be a savage and difficult environment

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think you sniffed it out Merlin, JJackson is not up to snuff.

fred ott GIF

WestCoastRam

Legend

Great way to look at this though I would guess it's Avila an 85 at center and and and Jackson and 80 (or whatever the numbers, just that Avila is still slightly ahead of Jackson).

But you want that 90 at LG right now with the LT out and his ability to help the center.

Then I think Jackson's health and Limmer's potential only push this decision to the forefront more.

I suspect if it's not a disaster for Jackson this is the configuration for the year but bets are off next year.

WestCoastRam

Legend

So back to the Center situation... If Avila and Jackson had done well in those roles as a duo throughout camp and scrimmages, there is no fucking way they would have moved them. Avila in fact would be depended upon to lead our OL in what will be a savage and difficult environment.
Who makes the line calls in this system? In the past it was the center but I thought it was Stafford once he came on.