Jonah Jackson at center!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Are you saying that's what happens currently with Stafford and the Rams?
Yes that is what I said.

Also I don't think it is accurate to say that when a QB can do the calls it is preferred that he does them, but I am not certain either way what the "norm" is. I recall Stafford's center with Detroit talking up what an expert he was at them, and that he had trained him on how to do it. Now if you have a rook QB the center better be good with calls, which was why McVay went with a vet when Goff was young for example. It took it off him and I don't think he had much to do with them until later on, around the period he and McVay were having issues.

But in the end the QB ends up suffering if they are wrong. So my guess is the "norm" is the QB oversees them and if the call is wrong he will correct it. Guessing the Rams work that way, can't recall specifically reading that but it's what I've inferred which may or may not be accurate.

Oh and back to this conversation... If the QB is used to having a center he trusts make the calls then it does simplify his life a bit in a situation where comms are hard. Detroit with a raging crowd for example. Trying to fix the center's calls I'd imagine would be difficult when you're pointing and shit and nobody can hear a damn thing. Which might create unnecessary timeouts, or miscommunications, that sort of thing I'd imagine.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yes that is what I said.

Also I don't think it is accurate to say that when a QB can do the calls it is preferred that he does them, but I am not certain either way what the "norm" is. I recall Stafford's center with Detroit talking up what an expert he was at them, and that he had trained him on how to do it. Now if you have a rook QB the center better be good with calls, which was why McVay went with a vet when Goff was young for example. It took it off him and I don't think he had much to do with them until later on, around the period he and McVay were having issues.

But in the end the QB ends up suffering if they are wrong. So my guess is the "norm" is the QB oversees them and if the call is wrong he will correct it. Guessing the Rams work that way, can't recall specifically reading that but it's what I've inferred which may or may not be accurate.

Oh and back to this conversation... If the QB is used to having a center he trusts make the calls then it does simplify his life a bit in a situation where comms are hard. Detroit with a raging crowd for example. Trying to fix the center's calls I'd imagine would be difficult when you're pointing and shit and nobody can hear a damn thing. Which might create unnecessary timeouts, or miscommunications, that sort of thing I'd imagine.
FWIW, I don't think it's a norm thing. I think different offensive systems ask it of the QB. The Shanahan system for the most part puts it on the center. We did it that way till Stafford go here. I think it may have changed with him but I'm not sure. I think the old coryell sxs used to prefer QB do it, Arians and Pats asked QB to do it, I think Martz asked QBs to do it, Rodgers too.

Many top QBs in a heavy drop back system I think are asked to do the calls and/or prefer it, I think it's been said that the QB can see more and if smart, do more in call protections than his center.

The shanahan sxs is a heavy play-action sxs so less need to have QB do it (I think less hot read and sight reads and things that it would be better for QB to make the line calls). Did McVay add hots and sights in when we got Stafford? (It's my understanding that McVay - at least the offense before Stafford - didn't really have hots, the answer for the defense was supposed to already be in the play).

Good question to ask Jourdan about.

EDIT: BTW, I don't think there's anything that precludes the LG from make the calls except sight lines, I believe this has been done before in the past.

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311
Are you saying that's what happens currently with Stafford and the Rams?

There are a number of offenses where the QB makes the calls and not the center (I think Chiefs now and Pats and Colts - back with Brady and Payton were like this) . Generally that is not the case in the Shanahan system. But I thought I read that Stafford, because of his ability (and the systems he was in that asked him to do it), had taken over line calls when he got here. I do not know that to be the case though.

It's my understanding that if you have a QB who can handle line calls, it's preferable that he does it and not the center.
this is the kind of subject I find interesting. thanks. Go rams

WestCoastRam

Legend
Most of us fans knew Bobby Evans was bad yet he was still listed as a backup and started a few games.
I'm spitballing here but I think that was a time in the NFL where OL depth was bad across the league and Evans even got picked up after we dumped him. He did have a horrific game for - I think it was - the Jets and then was cut never to play again.

ILB is like that now, the depth across the league just blows.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Most of us fans knew Bobby Evans was bad yet he was still listed as a backup and started a few games.
Yep. Advantage of being a fan is we for the most part judge these guys just off what they do on the field. And sometimes that's the most accurate judgment.

Coaches have the advantage of seeing them up close and knowing what their ceilings are based on experience and all that, but they have the disadvantage of building connections with players and sometimes overlook things like poor play in the hopes the player can get there. Reporters have the same disadvantages, in that they need to interact with the players so they have to maintain relationships with them and can't talk shit, or condemn them like a fan might, even when it is likely that is correct.

So I think this is why sometimes you can see the truth a lot clearer by virtue of engaging in message boards. You can also end up deluded as well of course. But it also happens to be more fun to follow a team and let your eyes be your judge. At least it should be, from my perspective at least.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I'm spit-balling here but I think that was a time in the NFL where OL depth was bad across the league and Evans even got picked up after we dumped him.

Evans was only last year.

Any chance you were thinking of one of the Rams' All Time Draft Busts ... 2nd overall pick Jason Smith?
That would fit your comment because he last played 12 years ago; and he was picked-up by the Jets.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay has forgotten more than I know about this game. But that has nothing to do with sniffing out the occasional serving of bullshite or general spin by the Rams.

Also being able to shoot the shit about this stuff, right or wrong, is what we do here. It's fun. As opposed to beating the team drum or citing beat writers as gospel.
"Thou Shalt Listen to the Gospel of Nick Waggoner!" ~ Merlin (2015)
"Eff Nick Waggoner!" ~ Merlin (2016)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There’s a lot of hype in this thread for Limner. I need to see him in the regular season before declaring him good, not the watered preseason. The same goes for Speights in the other threads.
I think this is why Limmer isn't starting over Jackson at Center. They suspect he's better but don't really know and they'd rather have experience at this point.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Any chance you were thinking of one of the Rams' All Time Draft Busts ... 2nd overall pick Jason Smith?
That would fit your comment because he last played 12 years ago; and he was picked-up by the Jets.
Ahh, the Baylor Flash.... Remember when we told ourselves how good a converted TE would be at LT? Man, we were stoopid.

WestCoastRam

Legend

I was thinking he was 2-3 years ago, no, but yeah, maybe it was with Jags I'm thinking that he got cut after an abysmal game.

EDIT: oh god, it was Jamon Brown I'm thinking of and it was the Eagles that cut him after a crazy bad game. Well, at least we got like 1-2 good seasons from him, no?

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I think this is why Limmer isn't starting over Jackson at Center. They suspect he's better but don't really know and they'd rather have experience at this point.
We prioritized paying Jonah Jackson and Kevin Dotson instead of Ernest Jones. That would be a be a massive fuck up if he lost his job in camp to a 6th round pick.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
We prioritized paying Jonah Jackson and Kevin Dotson instead of Ernest Jones. That would be a be a massive fuck up if he lost his job in camp to a 6th round pick.
I'm not sure this is accurate. The Rams don't prioritize ILB. I don't think there was any world where they were going to pay Jones whether they signed Jackson or not.

dang

Legend
I'm not sure this is accurate. The Rams don't prioritize ILB. I don't think there was any world where they were going to pay Jones whether they signed Jackson or not.
Too lazy to look up. How much did the Rams pay Bobby Wagner?

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Exactly, we prioritized other positions which as a result affected Ernest Jones. I used Dotson and Jackson because those were the guys this season that got the money and Jones was due for an extension and got traded. We paid two guards and we have some OTs to pay soon or replace. Investing this much into a position group means we have to be cheap somewhere else.

Also, historical habits can change. Before Avila, we did not prioritize spending money on the IOL since letting Saffold go.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Tell me about it. I coulda won those 6 super bowls too" ~ Drew Bledsoe