Jonah Jackson at center!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
If helping out Boom was the rationale behind the move then when AJ returns Avila should go back to C.

But there has been a shift in that it seems like Avila to C has been scrubbed. Time will tell though of course.
She mentioned that may be a reason that they were moving Avila back to guard. She didn’t say she was told this.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah, we'll find out. Though I don't know where you're getting this notion that they're scraping the plan for Avila. Unless you're suggesting that mentioning Jonah wanting to play at C full-time is some sort of breadcrumb?
I'm getting the notion from my own opinion of the players involved. Avila to Center has been scrubbed is my completely unfounded, fan opinion.

I don't think Avila wowed the Rams at the pivot. That was part of things. Jourdan mentioned he was better at LG, which is about as much as the team will admit when it comes to a young player who has done so well for us.

And I don't think Jackson has made the Rams feel comfortable at LG. He was injured or whatever too. But he was outcompeted at LG by the memory of what Avila provided last season. Which is not ideal for a new LG signing in FA.

Lastly I am getting it from the fact that Limmer is extremely stout at the pivot. He was doing it against depth players, but he showed strength we have not seen at Center in many years. The dude was driving DTs off the ball 1 on 1. And he doesn't give up ground on the rush when he's by himself. These are important elements in a Center's ability IMO. Because what it does is give you flexibility in your scheme.

Lastly IF Avila and Jackson had both killed it in their "planned" positions, there would have been no moves made. This is a fact IMO.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'd pump the breaks on Limmer till we see him in action when Jackson goes down in week 2.

BC Ramfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
BC Ramfan
I'm getting the notion from my own opinion of the players involved. Avila to Center has been scrubbed is my completely unfounded, fan opinion.

I don't think Avila wowed the Rams at the pivot. That was part of things. Jourdan mentioned he was better at LG, which is about as much as the team will admit when it comes to a young player who has done so well for us.

And I don't think Jackson has made the Rams feel comfortable at LG. He was injured or whatever too. But he was outcompeted at LG by the memory of what Avila provided last season. Which is not ideal for a new LG signing in FA.

Lastly I am getting it from the fact that Limmer is extremely stout at the pivot. He was doing it against depth players, but he showed strength we have not seen at Center in many years. The dude was driving DTs off the ball 1 on 1. And he doesn't give up ground on the rush when he's by himself. These are important elements in a Center's ability IMO. Because what it does is give you flexibility in your scheme.

Lastly IF Avila and Jackson had both killed it in their "planned" positions, there would have been no moves made. This is a fact IMO.
Jackson has been out all summer recovering from injury.
Quite probable that his play strength is not there compared to Avila.
Maybe they want the strength at G and are willing to settle for a weaker C.
And Limmer isn't ready to make the calls yet, centre is demanding that way.
One theory anyway.

BC

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd pump the breaks on Limmer till we see him in action when Jackson goes down in week 2.
I'm not unreasonably high on Limmer. I just think that in conjunction with the fact that neither of their veteran players has wowed at Center, his performance in preseason matters.

Also aside from the fact it feels bad to see some musical chairs at the eleventh hour, we do have good talent among the options. So I'm not feeling overly negative with the OL. Rather I think we are going to have to endure the typical slow start with our line, and at some point they should settle in quite nicely.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Bottom line, they aren't going to start a rookie over a guy they just paid 50 million dollars to. JJ will play as long as he is healthy at least for this year.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bottom line, they aren't going to start a rookie over a guy they just paid 50 million dollars to. JJ will play as long as he is healthy at least for this year.
They most certainly will if JJ doesn't play well at center.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Bored The Office GIF

shovelpass

Hall of Fame

Lastly IF Avila and Jackson had bo th killed it in their "planned" positions, there would have been no moves made. This is a fact IMO.
Ok, I think I gotcha. I do agree somewhat about the reason for the move. I said something similar on page 1. Kind of on wait in see mode.

A small point on the Jourdan topic, I really wish we had another reporter that was as active and had as much access as Jourdan. I think she's great, but its created a bit of a bottleneck where we're all feeding off of the same source.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok, I think I gotcha. I do agree somewhat about the reason for the move. I said something similar on page 1. Kind of on wait in see mode.

A small point on the Jourdan topic, I really wish we had another reporter that was as active and had as much access as Jourdan. I think she's great, but its created a bit of a bottleneck where we're all feeding off of the same source.
Yeah she is a bit of a bottleneck. It's surprising how beat writers of her quality are so rare too. I mean what is a better job than writing about something you love. But it's also talent too. She is very perceptive which not all of them are.

I mean look at some of the turds we've had over the years. Wagoner for example. That dude must treat writing about his team like a fucking finals essay. :laugh3:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Yeah she is a bit of a bottleneck. It's surprising how beat writers of her quality are so rare too. I mean what is a better job than writing about something you love. But it's also talent too. She is very perceptive which not all of them are.

I mean look at some of the turds we've had over the years. Wagoner for example. That dude must treat writing about his team like a fucking finals essay. :laugh3:
Agreed. There's definitely been some turds. I still hate Wagoner,
covering SF was the perfect spot for him. Not to turn this into a "Jourdan love fest" but her enthusiasm for the sport is definitely unmatched, or at least rare. On top of her work with the team and her projects she's a weekly contributor to 2 podcasts.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

The more I read of Jourdan, the more I truly believe that Cam Newton is a fucking sexist imbecile.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Here's a thought. Jackson played six years for the Lions, practicing against their DL. Maybe he knows how to recognize their stunts and is better able to make the line calls because of that?

fearsomefour

Legend
Its not a physical thing with Avila.
I wonder if Jackson is more dialed in making line calls and that is the reason why?
Its really the only reason I can think of.