Hekker to be released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I still think a surprise trade could happen. Like Higbee, to save $5M and move forward with Hopkins & Blanton, and maybe Mundt stays. All together would be less than Higbee.
Yea this wouldn't surprise me given how this is supposedly the best TE draft in a decade. Higs is a solid above average pro, but if we need the money to sign Von/OBJ I think this is something we should really consider. We have to sign Von. Hopkins/Blanton/+ rookie wouldn't be the end of the world. I hope we have had at least preliminary discussions with Chandler Jones in case Von goes to DAL.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Johhny Hekker was more than just an All-Pro punter... He could throw and run trick plays, he would hold kicks, and he was a leader in the locker room. He was a great Ram! Thank you Johhny!

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Thanks for all the kicks Hekker.
Glad he got to get the ring.
For years on bad teams he was one of the best players.

Ya know, I was one who thought his best kicks were behind him and that the Rams should cut him loose, but...

For years, those dark, disappointing fisher years following 2012, I vehemently maintained that Hekker WAS the Rams best player. Nobody was as good at their job week in and week out. He actually won a handful of games for the Rams when wins were scarce and an offense was just a dream.

I too, am glad he got a ring.

oldnotdead

Legend
Getting his ring should take some of the sting off of getting released. He's earned his accolades, but age gets us all.

I knew they should have kept Corey Bojorquez last year. Unless they have a punter coming out in this draft targeted.

My bet is on Matt Araiza from SDSU. The kid has a huge leg. He can do kickoff and long-range fGs as well. He needs work on downing inside the 20 and on his FGs but those are technique things. What I love about him is if the Rams are backed up he's got the leg to flip field position which is huge. He's a day three prospect probably pick 211.

RamWoodie

Legend
This is a guy Rams fans are gonna miss! If there's anything in Snead's "bag of tricks" to keep Hekker... MAKE IT HAPPEN!

While we saw the drop-off on "Greg the Leg"...Hekker has remained steady.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Every mill matters at this point. Its why I could see Rapp and his $2M contract moved. I still think a surprise trade could happen. Like Higbee, to save $5M and move forward with Hopkins & Blanton, and maybe Mundt stays. All together would be less than Higbee.

They will try to maximize the roster by adding where its weak and maybe shave off some $$ where they have some depth.
They have wayyyyyy more flexibility to move money before they trade a good player.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
They have wayyyyyy more flexibility to move money before they trade a good player.
Sure, but it comes down also to how much do they want to kick down the road?

They can avoid a wasted year, 3 or 4 yrs from now, where we have a a lot of dead cap space where it actually matters. We got away with it this yr since Stafford's relatively lower $23M hit offset some of Goff's dead money.

So just a way to be more long-term cap responsible.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Sure, but it comes down also to how much do they want to kick down the road?

They can avoid a wasted year, 3 or 4 yrs from now, where we have a a lot of dead cap space where it actually matters. We got away with it this yr since Stafford's relatively lower $23M hit offset some of Goff's dead money.

So just a way to be more long-term cap responsible.
I honestly don't care about being "long-term" responsible. The next 3 years are the window, imo.. and I want them to maximize the hell out of it.
There's a down year out there... and I'm already okay with it because of the Super Bowl win. If they get another SB? Shoot.. I'll just enjoy watching them try to rebuild when they need to.