Hekker to be released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
This stings a bit ...however it was time I believe money could be used elsewhere hiwever that said after all the horrible years he endured the rams always believed they had a shot at winmong and got him that ring. I dont think their could be any hard feelings here but nevertheless it still stings.
#foreveraram

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Would be tempted to draft that San Diego St punter early. The guy is a field flipper, but some have him going late 2nd.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Stud. Thanks for everything, Johnny.

I think that makes Aaron Donald the last St. Louis Ram? Kinda how Isaac Bruce was the last LA Ram.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It’s always sad to see a beloved Ram go, isn’t it? And few Rams have been as popular as Johnny Hekker, that’s for damned sure!

Hell yeah he deserves to be in the HOF one day. Few, if any, have ever been better.

Thanks for the memories, Johnny. You will definitely be missed…

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Hate to see him go. It's a rare thing that a team can say their punter is a weapon, and the Rams have been able to say that for years with Hekker. We'll be lucky if we ever find someone again who was good as Johnny was at his peak.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Green Bay special teams was a mess last year (again). Maybe their performance wouldn't have completely flipped, but I'm guessing the Rams focus on punt coverage and placement would have greatly helped his numbers in LA.
Buffalo let Bojorquez walked because while he has a massive leg, his precision is only middle of the pack. So I doubt he'd have played as well as Hekker did if the Rams kept Bojorquez.
I like Matt Araiza out of San Diego State, plus he can kick FG's too so that's a nice thing for a Punter, Penn State's Punter Jordan Stout @Riverumbbq choice also could be drafted as he doubles as a kicker too and is able to kick off well. Again they could be looking at someone else, but Araiza & Stout might get drafted late and maybe still be around in the 7th.
It sounds like Jordan Stout is a better fit than Araiza based on the scouting reports I read. Araiza has a massive leg but isn't as precise as he should be. Stout has a good leg but is very precise. As a top offense, we don't need the power as much as we need precision.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It sounds like Jordan Stout is a better fit than Araiza based on the scouting reports I read. Araiza has a massive leg but isn't as precise as he should be. Stout has a good leg but is very precise. As a top offense, we don't need the power as much as we need precision.
Stout is also very good on kickoffs which would save Matt Gay from doing that.

Last edited:

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Would be tempted to draft that San Diego St punter early. The guy is a field flipper, but some have him going late 2nd.
I've had my eye on him too. Hopefully he hangs around longer than round 2.

It is tough because the draft is always a crapshoot to some extent. If you draft a guy who can be a huge weapon like a Hekker was for so many years... I definitely consider that worth a 2nd rounder. But it's tough to spend that draft capital on a punter, with no certainty of return on the investment (not that other position players provide certainty, either).

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
Ive got 2 Hekker jerseys (wore one to the SB), the guy is all class.

Bummed by this...maybe we bring him back on a cap friendly deal? I dont know the ins and outs of that but Im sad to see him go.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
For years on bad teams he was one of the best players.
Hekker is the best punter in Ram history as I think back over the years first in 1973 with Dave Chapple, then through the years drafting the likes of Dale Hatcher and having Sean Landeta, not once, but twice. Hekker first year wit the Rams was 2012 and the punter before him was Donnie Jones.

I remember the Punters still on the board, but I also remember Jeff Fisher saying that special teams coach John Fassel had someone lined up as an UDRFA for being the Punter and that guy was Johnny Hekker out of Oregon State.

For a new statistic called punting average efficiency, you take the kicker's punting average in yards and subtract from it the average distance his punts have been returned. That being measured in theory is the height of the kick and the difficulty in running it back.

Dave Chappel, the fine rookie punter of the Rams, is the National Conference leader with an efficiency figure of 43.5 yards. His kick average is 46.2 yards, the returns from these kicks only 2.7.

1647357862626.png

Last edited:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The business of it, it makes sense.
The timing makes sense. The move as a football decision makes sense...

The only thing that doesn't make sense is how much I'm bummed out by this.

Thanks for everything Johnny Hekker.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thankful for Johnny’s service to our team! Truly a legendary punter for the Rams. I will miss not only his amazing play but also his grounded leadership.

Oregon State University couldn’t be prouder. Happy trails Mr. Hekker!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hekker is the best punter in Ram history as I think back over the years first in 1973 with Dave Chapple, then through the years drafting the likes of Dale Hatcher and having Sean Landeta, not once, but twice. Hekker first year wit the Rams was 2012 and the punter before him was Donnie Jones.

I remember the Punters still on the board, but I also remember Jeff Fisher saying that special teams coach John Fassel had someone lined up as an UDRFA for being the Punter and that guy was Johnny Hekker out of Oregon State.

View attachment 52967
YOUSONOFA ~ Frank Corral