Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
My county is being threatened with another lockdown and businesses are asking people to get tested to prove we arent having a higher % of positive tests than we did earlier in the year. Yet you can only get tested if you are symptomatic or have been exposed to someone that is symptomatic.
How would they know? If all they do is ask, then say you have been exposed and get tested.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
This “gotcha” stuff is pretty unimportant, IMHO. Especially for anyone (on either side) who tries to be responsible 99 times out of 100.

Refusing to acknowledge reality? Now there’s an actual problem...

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

View: https://twitter.com/aginnt/status/1327416457307824128

The death toll from the side effects of the world's reaction to COVID-19 may actually do more harm than the actual virus. Taking precautions like masking and social distancing aren't the issue. Shutting down schools and putting kids behind in their education, overuse of hand sanitizer and the effect on good bacteria, the mental health issues being created and/or exacerbated are an issue.

We have not even begun to consider the really long-term effects of teaching our kids that what was once considered normal social interaction is dangerous and should be avoided. Stay-at-home orders are basically teaching our kids that leaving the home and going outside to interact with the world is dangerous. That's not the best message to communicate to young minds.

The danger of COVID-19 will eventually pass, and for that we should all be thankful. The harm caused by the response to the virus by policymakers will linger, however, and will strain what is now a poorly-funded facet of health care - mental health services. As COVID cases grow, the pressure will grow for a new round of lockdowns. Politicians should resist this pressure, and instead look for ways to protect those who are most vulnerable to the virus. They should also look to protect those who least vulnerable to the virus. Those least vulnerable to the virus are the most vulnerable to the harmful effects of policies intended to 'protect' us from the virus. Maybe it's time to consider protecting them from our own fears.

Kids don't spread this virus, so let them be kids. Adults, wear masks and do what we can to avoid spreading this virus. That said, the virus is going to act like a virus, and no level of shutdowns is going to make it stop doing what viruses do. Anyone who claims they are following 'THE SCIENCE' should be willing to admit this simple truth: There is no way government can shut down every aspect of human interaction, and human interaction is how viruses spread. If you are really about "THE SCIENCE" then you should be willing to admit that shutdowns have, at best, a limited effectiveness in stopping the spread of virus. You should also be ready to accept the fact that shutdowns cause different forms of harm to the population. There is no easy answer, but the pro-shutdown politicians and our increasingly pro-PANIC media have apparently successfully communicated that anything less than full isolation will lead to mass deaths. That is, and has been, a destructive message. All things considered, this virus doesn't warrant this level of hysteria.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This “gotcha” stuff is pretty unimportant, IMHO. Especially for anyone (on either side) who tries to be responsible 99 times out of 100.

Refusing to acknowledge reality? Now there’s an actual problem...
So let me get this straight. You rail against the President because he doesn't take this seriously and he sends mixed messages. You say leaders should be more responsible then when leaders of both parties don't follow their own advice and the advice of the scientists you say it's unimportant. A little consistency from you would probably lead to more people taking your thoughts in here seriously you can't have it both ways. I happen to agree that the President should have put forward a better message but for you to now say it's unimportant when other leaders don't do what you have said the President should have done is beyond hypocritical. I also agree with some of the scientists, and I'm far from an expert, that the lockdowns did more harm than good and it's going to lead to problems in the coming cold season but we're beyond that now and we're into dealing with our own mess world wide.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The fuck you say. It's pivotally important that people understand how Government, with the aid of the panic-driven media, is incrementally gaining free reign over our lives, while sitting back and doing whatever the hell they want anyway. I'll "gotcha" the fuck out of anyone who wants to take away my freedoms and my ability to provide while suffering none of the ill-effects they impose upon us. But if you wanna lock-step your way into complete compliance with their every whim, that's fine. It's not for me. And I'll fight it every step of the way.

For instance, just recently, Hermes Fernandez (with the New York State Bar Association’s House of Delegates), just recommended that the state consider mandating all New Yorkers to take the COVID vaccine when it’s ready. “A mandate might be something that says ok if you don’t get the vaccine, you cannot go to bars and restaurants. You can’t go to places of public accommodation that draws large crowds. There’s a lot of different things that could occur,” he said.

Oh. Okay. Can you just put my vaccine record on a chip and inject it into my face? That would be cool too, and super easy to check. Maybe it's just throwing shit out there and spit-balling, but that kind of dangerous rhetoric needs to be confronted aggressively and shot down with even more aggression.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

View: https://twitter.com/aginnt/status/1327416457307824128

The death toll from the side effects of the world's reaction to COVID-19 may actually do more harm than the actual virus. Taking precautions like masking and social distancing aren't the issue. Shutting down schools and putting kids behind in their education, overuse of hand sanitizer and the effect on good bacteria, the mental health issues being created and/or exacerbated are an issue.

We have not even begun to consider the really long-term effects of teaching our kids that what was once considered normal social interaction is dangerous and should be avoided. Stay-at-home orders are basically teaching our kids that leaving the home and going outside to interact with the world is dangerous. That's not the best message to communicate to young minds.

The danger of COVID-19 will eventually pass, and for that we should all be thankful. The harm caused by the response to the virus by policymakers will linger, however, and will strain what is now a poorly-funded facet of health care - mental health services. As COVID cases grow, the pressure will grow for a new round of lockdowns. Politicians should resist this pressure, and instead look for ways to protect those who are most vulnerable to the virus. They should also look to protect those who least vulnerable to the virus. Those least vulnerable to the virus are the most vulnerable to the harmful effects of policies intended to 'protect' us from the virus. Maybe it's time to consider protecting them from our own fears.

Kids don't spread this virus, so let them be kids. Adults, wear masks and do what we can to avoid spreading this virus. That said, the virus is going to act like a virus, and no level of shutdowns is going to make it stop doing what viruses do. Anyone who claims they are following 'THE SCIENCE' should be willing to admit this simple truth: There is no way government can shut down every aspect of human interaction, and human interaction is how viruses spread. If you are really about "THE SCIENCE" then you should be willing to admit that shutdowns have, at best, a limited effectiveness in stopping the spread of virus. You should also be ready to accept the fact that shutdowns cause different forms of harm to the population. There is no easy answer, but the pro-shutdown politicians and our increasingly pro-PANIC media have apparently successfully communicated that anything less than full isolation will lead to mass deaths. That is, and has been, a destructive message. All things considered, this virus doesn't warrant this level of hysteria.

Just curious, did you (-X-) write all of the above or was it from a link?

Regardless, well said. Although I believe some of the above is overstated, I am (and always have been) sympathetic to a lot of the central points.

ESPECIALLY about our kids and education. In much of Europe, they’ve made in-person schooling a top priority, unlike in the USA. I agree that is a shame. Covid is a disease that disproportionately attacks the elderly, and we should do everything we can to open the damn schools for our kids.

Masks shouldn’t be politicized. Schools shouldn’t be politicized, either.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Had dinner at Longhorn steakhouse last night. Place was packed. 15 min wait. It was awesome.
iu

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
So let me get this straight. You rail against the President because he doesn't take this seriously and he sends mixed messages. You say leaders should be more responsible then when leaders of both parties don't follow their own advice and the advice of the scientists you say it's unimportant. A little consistency from you would probably lead to more people taking your thoughts in here seriously you can't have it both ways. I happen to agree that the President should have put forward a better message but for you to now say it's unimportant when other leaders don't do what you have said the President should have done is beyond hypocritical. I also agree with some of the scientists, and I'm far from an expert, that the lockdowns did more harm than good and it's going to lead to problems in the coming cold season but we're beyond that now and we're into dealing with our own mess world wide.
For me it’s a question of degree.

When POTUS holds dozens of rallies in “hot zones” with thousands of shouting ppl packed close together, and constantly sends the message that masks are useless, then.... yeah, I have a problem with that. It’s a giant problem.

OTOH, when Gavin Newsom knocks himself out every day for months on end stressing the importance of public safety, yet he attends ONE dinner, that’s OUTSIDE, that follows the restaurant’s health protocols, but 12 people are present, and he even “apologizes for not modeling better behavior”... yet ppl go nuts about it? That’s making a mountain out of a molehill.

Shifting gears to something else... THANK YOU for acknowledging that in your opinion POTUS “should have put forward a better message” on some things. It’s always welcome to hear that ppl can engage with difficult issues and make at least some concessions to the viewpoints of the other side.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
When POTUS holds dozens of rallies with thousands of shouting ppl packed close together, and constantly sends the message that masks are useless, then.... yeah, I have a problem with that. It’s a giant problem.
Based on your assumption that masks aren't useless. Where are all the deaths from his rallies? It's no different than 10 people going to a concert that holds 10,000, with the flu, during flu season. Someone's gonna get sick, right? Probably. You're also basing this on the idea that someone hog-tied those people and made them attend a rally. The only thing those rallies did was provide people with another POV as it relates to individual freedoms. The media, on the other hand, made it look like he was leading people to slaughter. Somewhere inbetween lies the truth. And it leans not toward mass slaughter.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Look - we aren’t gonna solve any world problems here - but are we at least able to recognize that the bulk of the anti mask, open up, Covid isn’t that serious kind of movements were right wing?

should the dems practice what they preach? Absolutely- they should.

I always liked being “none of the above”. I was able to embrace it when both sides sucked equally. And now, I’m on a side. It sucks being on a side.

bring your shit back to normalcy so I can go back to hating both sides, please.

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Based on your assumption that masks aren't useless. Where are all the deaths from his rallies? It's no different than 10 people going to a concert that holds 10,000, with the flu, during flu season. Someone's gonna get sick, right? Probably. You're also basing this on the idea that someone hog-tied those people and made them attend a rally. The only thing those rallies did was provide people with another POV as it relates to individual freedoms. The media, on the other hand, made it look like he was leading people to slaughter. Somewhere inbetween lies the truth. And it leans not toward mass slaughter.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Had dinner at Longhorn steakhouse last night. Place was packed. 15 min wait. It was awesome.
iu

You waited 15 minutes for a table at Longhorn fucking Steakhouse during an epidemic and were happy about it? Shit man, I’m missing out on something here. I need to rethink some shit.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Holy shit, I hope the language in that article didn’t lead you to the same “scientific conclusion“ of the headline. You’re smarter than that. If even ONE person actually died after having been to a rally, every single MSM outlet would have had that person’s family on tv 24/7. It didn’t happen.

But let’s say it did. You missed the most important part of that overtly biased pablum. To wit: “The Trump campaign contends that attendees are exercising their 1st Amendment rights.” And they were.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You waited 15 minutes for a table at Longhorn fucking Steakhouse during an epidemic and were happy about it? Shit man, I’m missing out on something here. I need to rethink some shit.
Lol. You can always convey your sentiments in a eulogy for him. The way I see it, he only has 14 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.