Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The reason the U.S. is just about the worst in the world at handling Covid is that the U.S. has not consistently and unitedly followed that plan.
Now do the countries in the world that are doing the opposite of what the United States recommends, and that are doing much better. The plan is nonsensical.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yes the ebil media - that is why the hospitals are full. My mother in law has it and she can't even get into a hospital. A football coach died a few weeks ago and couldn't get in to see anyone.

A lot of the things on this thread have not aged well.
Depends where you are.
Where I am there has been a spike in cases (including me) but hospitalizations have fallen.
With something this widespread it’s like the weather.
What happening outside anyone’s window doesn’t show the bigger picture.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it’s time to bow out of here again. It’s clear our lord and savior is here and going to listen to posters proffered science so there’s nothing left to discuss.

fearsomefour

Legend
Do you mean following the science and experts as opposed to ignoring and undermining them?

Do you mean a National and enhanced testing (and contact tracing) program as opposed to the individual states being responsible for testing and tracing, plus the deadly messaging to 'stop the testing'?

Do you mean a consistent national messaging of responsible mask wearing and social distancing as opposed to ignoring and mocking such?

Are those the 'same things' you refer to?

There is no magic bullet. The strategy and plan for helping to control (not stop) the spread of Covid has been the same for many months now. The countries and states that have mostly followed that plan have mostly done much better. The reason the U.S. is just about the worst in the world at handling Covid is that the U.S. has not consistently and unitedly followed that plan.
How’s about Europe experience massive spikes now......how’s that plan working out for them?
This whole thing.....covid.....the response to it.....is mostly bullshit.
Lockdowns over anything with a death rate less than 1% is moronic beyond measure and obviously a manipulation.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You can keep laughing at everything I post, @XXXIVwin, but that doesn’t make it untrue. One day soon we’ll all discover how absurd the overreaction has been, and the only line that can or will be offered in defense will be, “better safe than sorry.”

Watch.

fearsomefour

Legend
You can keep laughing at everything I post, @XXXIVwin, but that doesn’t make it untrue. One day soon we’ll all discover how absurd the overreaction has been, and the only line that can or will be offered in defense will be, “better safe than sorry.”

Watch.
To be frank, anyone who can’t already see it probably never will.
Willful blindness is a real thing.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

Watch.

I think its likely that it will always be viewed through a lens. One lens may tell you that shutting down like we did in the spring was overkill. That the correct approach was something else.

Another lens may tell you that this many people didn't need to die over this. That we could have done much more than we did - that had we been more diligent, we wouldn't have ended up with so many casualties.

Most of us will pick and choose which lens we see things through and we will believe that the other lens is disingenuous.

The idea that someday there will be an agreed set of facts that we all believe in - well, I wish that would someday be the case - but its hard to see how we ever get there.

Disinformation is just too prevalent.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I can understand pro-mask people
I can understand anti-mask people.
But people who think the Government has the answers?

You perplex me.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

You perplex me.

I suppose it depends on the government - and on the answers.

I'm a big advocate of education, training, and experience. I would like the people making decisions to either have that education, training, and experience for themselves or to be following the lead of the people with that education, training, and experience.

Generally, the government is a big ol bloated pile of fecal matter - because they aren't honestly engaging in the merits of any singular issue. They are just vying for power amongst themselves.

But every now and then, something comes along that is (or should be) bigger than the squabble. A war, for instance. When the US goes to war - we all want our most educated, trained, and experienced military minds calling the shots. They may disagree amongst each other on strategies - but they will engage with each other honestly - debate the merits of their positions - and respect the chain of command.

I mean, right? I get that some of yall dont think that this situation was all that serious - but surely you can imagine one that would be - a 10% death rate - or even worse? We want the government able to step up in those situations, right?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

Watch.
Yeah, maybe I hit the “laugh” icon as a way of saying to myself, “I disagree so completely with this post I don’t even know where to begin.” I should probably use that “shaking head emoji”, it’s more respectful.

Once the vaccine comes out and starts getting distributed, that’ll change the dynamics of,well, everything. So we’ll never know whether we “overreacted” or not.

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I think its likely that it will always be viewed through a lens.
Bingo.

This is all I have been thinking about over the last week.

Reality doesn’t matter. Facts don’t matter. Truth doesn’t matter. Only thing that matters is the lens.

Really want to see the documentary movie “The Social Dilemma”, which is all about how social media keeps feeding people the information (and disinformation) that constantly reinforces and hardens their pre-existing beliefs.

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
one of the surgeons i see at the University of Iowa Hospital, WONT SHAKE HANDS AND WEARS A MASK, him i believe
train

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Really want to see the movie “The Social Dilemma”, which is all about how social media keeps feeding people the information (and disinformation) that constantly reinforces and hardens their pre-existing beliefs.
After having already admitted that you watch cable news, you're not gonna like that movie at all.

fearsomefour

Legend

You perplex me.
So true.
I tried to get a test through the county where I live.
Now, their website is plastered with “Community Health Crisis” and “Covid Tracker” data etc. On and on.
It was a full seven days just to get a test and another 2-7 days to get a result. They test 2 1/2 hours a day during the week.
A real crisis, right?
Pathetic.
I went an urgent care. Got tested the same day.
Got a positive result back in three days.
The doctor told me county health would be contacting me.
They still haven’t.
Beyond pathetic.
Most of the mother fuckers down there don’t even know what it means to work let alone how to work like something is an emergency.
Think of the DMV......they EXIST to collect money and they make it almost impossible.
The government offers nothing.
To quote Adam Carolla, a government program is like if a rice cake had the caloric content of cheese cake.
None of the benefit, all of the calories.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mmmmm... Government. So tasty.
Anyone wanna guess what "Workers' Council" translates to in Russian?

Bolsheviks said:
LOS ANGELES—By a 5-0 vote, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors has approved establishing workers’ councils to monitor business efforts to protect employees against the coronavirus pandemic, and to blow the whistle to health officials when they don’t.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
After having already admitted that you watch cable news, you're not gonna like that movie at all.
I haven’t “admitted” I watch cable news. I watch cable news because I’m interested in seeing BOTH “lenses” by which ppl get their information (or misinformation, as the case may be).

At least on the cable networks, there is SOME degree of journalistic integrity left. “Misleading” info is unbearably common, but the dissemination of blatantly false and easily disproven lies is thankfully still frowned upon.

Social media is way, way, way worse than cable news. Like that crazy “multi-country HCQ scientific study”posted on Twitter (that was proven to be a complete fabrication) that we all discussed on here a while ago.

If ppl wanna learn about crazy conspiracy theories like Hollywood actors drinking blood in Satanic rites, or politicians running pedophile rings in the basements of pizza parlors— they’ll have to get it from social media, because even cable news doesn’t stoop that low.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I haven’t “admitted” I watch cable news. I watch cable news because I’m interested in seeing BOTH “lenses” by which ppl get their information (or misinformation, as the case may be).

At least on the cable networks, there is SOME degree of journalistic integrity left. “Misleading” info is unbearably common, but the dissemination of blatantly false and easily disproven lies is thankfully still frowned upon.

Social media is way, way, way worse than cable news. Like that crazy “multi-country HCQ scientific study”posted on Twitter (that was proven to be a complete fabrication) that we all discussed on here a while ago.

If ppl wanna learn about crazy conspiracy theories like Hollywood actors drinking blood in Satanic rites, or politicians running pedophile rings in the basements of pizza parlors— they’ll have to get it from social media, because even cable news doesn’t stoop that low.
I laughed because that was funny, not because I wanted to insult you.

But that aside, that's a false equivalency. You can filter social media to provide you with opinions of people who aren't batshit crazy and/or driven by an agenda that only serves to divide the Nation in half. People like MIT-level data analysts, historians, Doctors who don't give a shit about politics, and TRUE independents/independent thinkers. You can't filter Cable News. They're all absurd, and some way more than others. But they're still all absurd. I'm still waiting on the fascist dictator to launch a nuke. But since he didn't, now I guess I'll wait on the other guy to turn us into Venezuela and steal my guns.

It's all dumb. All of it.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

But that aside, that's a false equivalency. You can filter social media to provide you with opinions of people who aren't batshit crazy and/or driven by an agenda that only serves to divide the Nation in half. People like MIT-level data analysts, historians, Doctors who don't give a shit about politics, and TRUE independents/independent thinkers. You can't filter Cable News. They're all absurd, and some way more than others. But they're still all absurd. I'm still waiting on the fascist dictator to launch a nuke. But since he didn't, now I guess I'll wait on the other guy to turn us into Venezuela and steal my guns.

Thanks, Dude. Good Lord, sometimes I truly wonder whether our American democracy is gonna survive this crazy polarization. But IMHO the only chance we have is to try to stay respectful of those we disagree with-- even though it's really hard to do sometimes.

You can filter social media

I dunno about that. I'll admit I don't use social media much. But that "Social Dilemma" documentary seems to imply that they've gotten really, really good at tailoring the information stream to each individual person. (Haven't watched it yet, but spoken to people who have). Like everyone is viewing their own personalized "Truman Show." For example, if someone types into google the words "Climate change is..." , each person will get a different "answer" depending on their browsing history. (I didn't know that before, I find that amazing and frightening)

I'm tempted to do my usual thang and write a fucking dissertation about why I disagree. Instead I'll just say, "I think that is an overly broad characterization."

Cheers

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm tempted to do my usual thang and write a fucking dissertation about why I disagree.
caps lock.jpg

BRING IT

Status
Not open for further replies.