Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
The only reason I could see the covid stories staying in the news is if something about it causes division. The media needs division to stay relevant. Otherwise, I can see the stories start to fade after Biden takes office. And I don't see another economy shut down coming.
They will fade before he takes office. See, he doesn't have a plan. At least not one he can truly implement. He can't mandate masks. He can't mandate shutdowns. He can't mandate people to get the vaccine. So what does he have?

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
They will fade before he takes office. See, he doesn't have a plan. At least not one he can truly implement. He can't mandate masks. He can't mandate shutdowns. He can't mandate people to get the vaccine. So what does he have?
He can always withhold federal funding for states that don't comply by implementing those things for him. It was Nazi fascism and attempting to be a dictator (unrelated joke: what do you get when you cross a penis with a potato? A dictator) before January, but we'll see how it goes for him.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
The only reason I could see the covid stories staying in the news is if something about it causes division. The media needs division to stay relevant.
Hope it’s possible for the media to cover something because it’s newsworthy, and not just because it is divisive.

In some ways, Covid can be thought of as a natural disaster— we all hate it and we all wish it would go away. IMHO, as long as cases and deaths are significant, the Covid story will dominate the headlines. Just like a story about an earthquake or a hurricane would dominate headlines.

Would like to think that it’s not necessary for EVERYTHING to be viewed through this freaking red v blue prism. (Mask-wearing NEVER should have been politicized, but it was.)

By the same token, is there reason to hope that the word “vaccine” can be spared the same stupid fate of being politicized? I assume Trump will encourage his supporters to take the vaccine? And I assume Biden will encourage his supporters to take the vaccine? Can we all pull in the same direction for once?

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
The only reason I could see the covid stories staying in the news is if something about it causes division. The media needs division to stay relevant. Otherwise, I can see the stories start to fade after Biden takes office. And I don't see another economy shut down coming.

Yes the ebil media - that is why the hospitals are full. My mother in law has it and she can't even get into a hospital. A football coach died a few weeks ago and couldn't get in to see anyone.

A lot of the things on this thread have not aged well.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hope it’s possible for the media to cover something because it’s newsworthy, and not just because it is divisive.
The coverage isn't the problem, most of the time. Though, there are many examples of Cable News going dark when a story isn't in alignment with their worldview. I think we can all agree on that (both sides). No, the problem is how both sides treat the same news as disparate in nature. Doing (insert thing) during Covid is either deadly or no big deal depending on who you listen to. (Insert policy here) is a threat to humanity or beneficial to mankind, depending on who you listen to. (Insert investigation here) is either done to preserve democracy, or it's done to thwart democracy, depending on who you listen to.

"Expert panels"? lol. The biggest, longest running joke in history.

I really can't say this enough. The media doesn't care about people. The media cares about viewership.

nighttrain

Legend
The coverage isn't the problem, most of the time. Though, there are many examples of Cable News going dark when a story isn't in alignment with their worldview. I think we can all agree on that (both sides). No, the problem is how both sides treat the same news as disparate in nature. Doing (insert thing) during Covid is either deadly or no big deal depending on who you listen to. (Insert policy here) is a threat to humanity or beneficial to mankind, depending on who you listen to. (Insert investigation here) is either done to preserve democracy, or it's done to thwart democracy, depending on who you listen to.

"Expert panels"? lol. The biggest, longest running joke in history.

I really can't say this enough. The media doesn't care about people. The media cares about viewership.
generally this is true
train

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes the ebil media - that is why the hospitals are full. My mother in law has it and she can't even get into a hospital. A football coach died a few weeks ago and couldn't get in to see anyone.

A lot of the things on this thread have not aged well.
What you said has nothing to do with what you quoted.

Ellard80

Legend
What you said has nothing to do with what you quoted.

"the only reason for covid stories to stay in the news?" That's the part i was referring to..

sure the media loves bad news - but this shit is for real and getting worse.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
"the only reason for covid stories to stay in the news?" That's the part i was referring to..

Apparently you have not heard that we are 'Rounding the Corner'

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Your almost to the point he was making but we’re getting too close to political talk.

Ellard80

Legend
Your almost to the point he was making but we’re getting too close to political talk.

nah boss i get it - and if "the media loves dispair" in order to sell clicks and papers then it doesn't matter who the president is.

That's not me saying anything negative or positive about the president.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Remember when everyone was freaking out about the nfl maybe not having a season?

The daily cases back then were 20k to 30k. Now the daily cases are 140k and it's business as usual for the nfl.

Amazing how once you get used to something it doesn't seem like as much of a bigger deal as time goes by.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Remember when everyone was freaking out about the nfl maybe not having a season?

The daily cases back then were 20k to 30k. Now the daily cases are 140k and it's business as usual for the nfl.

Amazing how once you get used to something it doesn't seem like as much of a bigger deal as time goes by.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Was that the number of deaths yesterday? Only gonna go up with the daily cases rising exponentially.

And nobody will be saying the nfl has to be postponed. A vast difference from the mood in April and May.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Apparently you have not heard that we are 'Rounding the Corner'

7C47A31B-AC80-419A-9F5F-F64E3BAD64AE.gif

Last edited:

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Pfizer announced their vaccine is 90% effective. It's a two-dose vaccine but they are saying distribution might start as early as mid-December.

A normal NFL season looks very likely next year!!
90% effective is pretty good considering the over 99% survival rate. But will the vaccine be safer than covid? That is the big question, I know I wont get the vaccine. IMO it isnt worth the risk, knowing that covid is no major threat to my health. I dont mind 2 weeks off with pay and a sore throat that only lasts a few days. It may be possible that it hits harder the 2nd time around but I am healthier now than I was in July and will only get healthier as long as I continue exercising and eating better.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
But according to his website he has a plan, it is to do the same things that have been done since March. But now that there is no election to influence it will work better.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
But according to his website he has a plan, it is to do the same things that have been done since March.

Do you mean following the science and experts as opposed to ignoring and undermining them?

Do you mean a National and enhanced testing (and contact tracing) program as opposed to the individual states being responsible for testing and tracing, plus the deadly messaging to 'stop the testing'?

Do you mean a consistent national messaging of responsible mask wearing and social distancing as opposed to ignoring and mocking such?

Are those the 'same things' you refer to?

There is no magic bullet. The strategy and plan for helping to control (not stop) the spread of Covid has been the same for many months now. The countries and states that have mostly followed that plan have mostly done much better. The reason the U.S. is just about the worst in the world at handling Covid is that the U.S. has not consistently and unitedly followed that plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.