OFFICIAL 2024 NFL Trades, cuts, free agency, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Teams don't necessarily LET free agents go.
Sometimes they want to play somewhere else; and they are free to do so.

It's unlikely we will know the background and specifics.

It could be as simple as Williams wanted to play in Minnesota. He was with the Vikings briefly in 2021. Williams is from the state of Washington, so maybe he likes cooler weather and the out-door life it provides. Maybe he wanted to play for DL-coach Marcus Dixon, who was with the Rams and coached Williams. Maybe the Vikings offered a couple hundred thousand $ more. Might be a combination of these and other factors.
Or taxes
This could be true but it's just not a good draft class at edge at all. I don't think they "really" like any of these okay pass rushers. Doesn't mean they don't sorta like any and won't grab one to buttress pass rush.

I think they just decided to buttress the offense - specifically the oline, to keep their aging but excellent when protected QB, upright - instead of spending a lot of money on older pass rushers when it didn't fit their 3 year build plan.

It just isn't a good landscape this year for pass rush in FA or draft. I guess they could have gone after Hunter but I don't think they liked the age and cost. One could have made an argument for Greenard but that's a talent you pay for when you have Donald to boost him up.

Rams will have to cobble together a pass rush from DT talent in the draft, okay edge talent in the draft and FA/cuts after the draft...

... and let a top 3 offense lead them to the promised land.
The Rams have the second most expensive offense in the NFL and the least expensive defense.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Or taxes

The Rams have the second most expensive offense in the NFL and the least expensive defense.
Taxes have nothing to do with it, they are taxed by each city they play in. It is not similar to us like were we work as an example.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Taxes have nothing to do with it, they are taxed by each city they play in. It is not similar to us like were we work as an example.
Half true at least but cost of living probably figures in a little. But I’d suppose most players don’t even give that much thought.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I may be crazy.. but I think with Dejean, you're paying a lot for his versatility and ball skills. I think you can get a guy with similar ability, purely as a corner, in the second or third round... guys like TJ Tampa.
I agree. I think Dejean would've been more likely before we signed Curl. I think Dejean would work the same way. Unless we want two of them out there which isn't a bad idea.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I agree. I think Dejean would've been more likely before we signed Curl. I think Dejean would work the same way. Unless we want two of them out there which isn't a bad idea.
I think some people just think Dejean is a better corner than other corners.

I do think his inside outside versatility could allow Curl and Lake to make left and right safety roles while he takes STAR, bouncing between corner and STAR ala Ramsey.

I think Yeast is just a jag so we have work to do at at least one safety spot...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm with you. The anxiety of not knowing the plan is bothersome lol. And seeing whether or not it will work.
I'm going to preface this by saying I don't direct this at you @Ram_Rally . You are a long time, respected member here.

That said... How many of us saw us making the playoffs before the last season? I did but that was more about me simply being a total homer. BTW... for those of you that don't like the idea of homers, this site was built on members being homers. It honestly was a major reason for this board being created. We were all sick of the PD bullshit and wanted somewhere that us long time unconditional fans wanted to hang out and talk positively about our team. Many of us long time members wear that "homer" moniker proudly. We mostly have a strong distaste for "realists". We're Rams fans and proud of it.

It's fine to discuss, openly question, and even doubt the team and their moves. But constant bitching and moaning about what the team is doing is actually discouraged. Most of us question moves the Rams make and that's fine. I don't want to discourage open conversation about our team.

I think most of us are anxious and have been almost every year. I also wish I knew the game plan for the coming season. But this regime has given us hope for the long run and I, for one, am optimistic that they have a plan that keeps us in the running year after year. I still expect a SB run this season and many more in the future.

Cheers all.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think Yeast is just a jag so we have work to do at at least one safety spot...
You're probably right on Yeast. But you simply cannot have a SB level team without some JAGs having significant roles. We may have a shitload of them this season. Hopefully the sum total is enough to get us through.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
For half the games you are correct. But there are a couple areas that the taxes are even higher I suspect. I forget who it was but he cited LA as a plus when making his decision. So while the taxes and cost of living is high, who wouldn't want to live in the areas they live in and play for a great organization?

It's also why I think SD needs to have the Bolts move back. You just can't get better weather than SD. And the prices are in line with most upscale NFL communities. There's my pitch for the bolts to go back home and stop being squatters in our stadium. Fuck off Spanos.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Wish they would have a made a stronger push for Van Ginkel. The rumor was that they did make an offer for him and he ended up signing for a pretty reasonable contract. The depth of edge in this draft is crap, so yes, I hope they have a plan.
He went to the Team where he had been coached before by their D-coordinator

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think some people just think Dejean is a better corner than other corners.

I do think his inside outside versatility could allow Curl and Lake to make left and right safety roles while he takes STAR, bouncing between corner and STAR ala Ramsey.

Yeah my only concern with Dejean is that he seems to move very linear if that makes sense. He doesn't seem all that shifty to me which is why he feels like a slot or safety for me. I love the way he diagnoses. I just have questions about how he can change directions.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm going to preface this by saying I don't direct this at you @Ram_Rally . You are a long time, respected member here.

That said... How many of us saw us making the playoffs before the last season? I did but that was more about me simply being a total homer. BTW... for those of you that don't like the idea of homers, this site was built on members being homers. It honestly was a major reason for this board being created. We were all sick of the PD bullshit and wanted somewhere that us long time unconditional fans wanted to hang out and talk positively about our team. Many of us long time members wear that "homer" moniker proudly. We mostly have a strong distaste for "realists". We're Rams fans and proud of it.

It's fine to discuss, openly question, and even doubt the team and their moves. But constant bitching and moaning about what the team is doing is actually discouraged. Most of us question moves the Rams make and that's fine. I don't want to discourage open conversation about our team.

I think most of us are anxious and have been almost every year. I also wish I knew the game plan for the coming season. But this regime has given us hope for the long run and I, for one, am optimistic that they have a plan that keeps us in the running year after year. I still expect a SB run this season and many more in the future.

Cheers all.
No offense at all taken here! I was also in the camp of people who thought that we were going to be incredibly feisty as long as we had Donald Stafford in Cooper last year. So I was not in the Caleb Williams crowd. I have complete trust in the Rams organization. I was just speaking to the idea that the Rams have a plan even if we don't know what it is and some of the angst surrounding that probably just has a lot to do with us dealing with the unknown as a board.