OFFICIAL 2024 NFL Trades, cuts, free agency, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think they have answers. It's just that we don't know what their answers are. We'll know when we know. That could be anywhere from today to August.
I mean, they get two swings. The draft and FA/cuts after the draft. I don't think they have answers. I think they have plans. Multiple.

But generally, the Rams aren't an organization that just forces something to happen.

There's a non-zero chance that we don't get an edge in the next two swings and go into the season with Hoecht as a starter. Just not likely.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mean, they get two swings. The draft and FA/cuts after the draft. I don't think they have answers. I think they have plans. Multiple.

But generally, the Rams aren't an organization that just forces something to happen.

There's a non-zero chance that we don't get an edge in the next two swings and go into the season with Hoecht as a starter. Just not likely.
I completely agree. They'll get an edge at some point. Might not even be round 1 if they wait that long. They will though.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
My point is why let Williams go and sign Murchison.
Idk, there's probably multiple factors. I don't think it's an either/or situation. They could've easily signed both. Maybe Williams didn't want to come back.
I liked Williams, thought he was solid, but not irreplaceable.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
My point is why let Williams go and sign Murchison.
Teams don't necessarily LET free agents go.
Sometimes they want to play somewhere else; and they are free to do so.

It's unlikely we will know the background and specifics.

It could be as simple as Williams wanted to play in Minnesota. He was with the Vikings briefly in 2021. Williams is from the state of Washington, so maybe he likes cooler weather and the out-door life it provides. Maybe he wanted to play for DL-coach Marcus Dixon, who was with the Rams and coached Williams. Maybe the Vikings offered a couple hundred thousand $ more. Might be a combination of these and other factors.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

The organizations lack of movement in free agency, could indicate that there are guys in this draft that they really like.
Guys, that they feel they can get.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The organizations lack of movement in free agency, could indicate that there are guys in this draft that they really like.
Guys, that they feel they can get.
This could be true but it's just not a good draft class at edge at all. I don't think they "really" like any of these okay pass rushers. Doesn't mean they don't sorta like any and won't grab one to buttress pass rush.

I think they just decided to buttress the offense - specifically the oline, to keep their aging but excellent when protected QB, upright - instead of spending a lot of money on older pass rushers when it didn't fit their 3 year build plan.

It just isn't a good landscape this year for pass rush in FA or draft. I guess they could have gone after Hunter but I don't think they liked the age and cost. One could have made an argument for Greenard but that's a talent you pay for when you have Donald to boost him up.

Rams will have to cobble together a pass rush from DT talent in the draft, okay edge talent in the draft and FA/cuts after the draft...

... and let a top 3 offense lead them to the promised land.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This could be true but it's just not a good draft class at edge at all. I don't think they "really" like any of these okay pass rushers. Doesn't mean they don't sorta like any and won't grab one to buttress pass rush.

I think they just decided to buttress the offense - specifically the oline, to keep their aging but excellent when protected QB, upright - instead of spending a lot of money on older pass rushers when it didn't fit their 3 year build plan.

It just isn't a good landscape this year for pass rush in FA or draft.

Rams will have to cobble together a pass rush from DT talent in the draft, okay edge talent in the draft and FA/cuts after the draft...

That could be as well.
Getting another strong CB early in the draft, to team up with D. Will, could produce more coverage sacks.

WestCoastRam

Legend
That could be as well.
Getting another strong CB early in the draft, to team up with D. Will, could produce more coverage sacks.
Yeah, a dozen ways to skin the 49ers.

It's funny... I suspect so many of us will end up coming back around to DeJean in the next 5 weeks when it's all said and done with draft discussions.

A guy like DeJean and then an Ellis, Kneeland (though I think he could be gone), a Murphy bro at edge in the 2nd wouldn't be a bad start to the draft.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion

It just isn't a good landscape this year for pass rush in FA or draft. I guess they could have gone after Hunter but I don't think they liked the age and cost. One could have made an argument for Greenard but that's a talent you pay for when you have Donald to boost him up.

Wish they would have a made a stronger push for Van Ginkel. The rumor was that they did make an offer for him and he ended up signing for a pretty reasonable contract. The depth of edge in this draft is crap, so yes, I hope they have a plan.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yeah, a dozen ways to skin the 49ers.

It's funny... I suspect so many of us will end up coming back around to DeJean in the next 5 weeks when it's all said and done with draft discussions.

A guy like DeJean and then an Ellis, Kneeland (though I think he could be gone), a Murphy bro at edge in the 2nd wouldn't be a bad start to the draft.
I may be crazy.. but I think with Dejean, you're paying a lot for his versatility and ball skills. I think you can get a guy with similar ability, purely as a corner, in the second or third round... guys like TJ Tampa.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Do you mean to close-out the game?

That was Linebacker Travin Howard, who will forever hold a warm-spot in my heart.
And he was a 7th rd pick out of TCU...he was a S/LB tweener if I recall correctly.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I may be crazy.. but I think with Dejean, you're paying a lot for his versatility and ball skills. I think you can get a guy with similar ability, purely as a corner, in the second or third round... guys like TJ Tampa.
not sure thats crazy... not sure there's a better prospect there at 19 though. Maybe Murphy or a WR. Would be ecstatic for Mitchell or Arnold to fall.