Why Rams need Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

JdashSTL said:
X said:
Angry Ram said:
Yet only 6 winning seasons in 15 years, excluding 1994.
People will embrace 6 winning seasons in 15 years here as long as he yells and the Rams stay competitive. That seems to be the only requirement for a head coach (recently). I don't have a problem with him being the next guy. I've always admired how his teams played smashmouth ball. As a former safety, I kinda liked the way they'd lay the wood, and they always had a decent rushing attack. The problem as I see it (and this may not BE a problem in as much as it's an observation) is that his teams were really, really boring. With QBs setting records in passing yards and TD's, I think he's going to have to evolve a little in his approach. Good D and a good rushing attack isn't enough if you don't have the ability to play catch-up or pull away. But, he's a smart guy. I assume he'd be able to recognize the way the league is trending now and try to incorporate a good passing attack into his plan.

It seems like we have that discussion every year about the direction this league is moving in and what type of team you need to win the SB. The main thing we know is that you need a good QB. Theres always gonna be some teams that rely on D and running the ball to get to the playoffs every year. Thats the formula the Chiefs had last year, the Texans, 49ers, and Ravens have it this year. If we end up with a Pats/Packers SB then thats 2 bad defenses, they dont have a consistent rushing attack, but they have the great QBs.

You look at the QBs Fisher has had those QB always needed a running game. He didnt put them in uncomfortable situations. They had the Eddie George/McNair tandem for years. Vince Young and Kerry Collins best seasons were when they had a good running game.

So then the question becomes what willl Fisher wanna do with our offense and how will he handle Bradford. I think the moment he meets Bradford, gets a chance to chat with him, and then watches college (would he still check out Bradfords college tape?) and pro tape he will realize that this is a franchise QB that just needs more weapons to throw to, and some upgrades on the OL. He has all the tools to be a QB that you can go into a game and have confidence in him winning it no matter what.

I agree.

Anonymous

X said:
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
Angry Ram said:
People will embrace 6 winning seasons in 15 years here as long as he yells and the Rams stay competitive. That seems to be the only requirement for a head coach (recently). I don't have a problem with him being the next guy. I've always admired how his teams played smashmouth ball. As a former safety, I kinda liked the way they'd lay the wood, and they always had a decent rushing attack. The problem as I see it (and this may not BE a problem in as much as it's an observation) is that his teams were really, really boring. With QBs setting records in passing yards and TD's, I think he's going to have to evolve a little in his approach. Good D and a good rushing attack isn't enough if you don't have the ability to play catch-up or pull away. But, he's a smart guy. I assume he'd be able to recognize the way the league is trending now and try to incorporate a good passing attack into his plan.

Fisher plays to the strength of his players which is what a HC has to do.
That's PART of what a HC has to do.

Let's examine this WWJD (what would Jeff do) scenario wherein he is the answer at head coach. Not saying he isn't, but let's examine what he would do under similar circumstances. In 2003, the Titans went 12-4 and Fisher (as well as the Titans) went to the playoffs via a wildcard berth. They later lost to the Patriots, and that was that. Pretty good.

In 2004, however, they experienced a lot of injuries. Fisher (as well as the Titans) proceeded to lose 7 more games than the previous year to finish up at 5-11. 7 games less due to injury. Sound vaguely familiar? In that year, they beat two teams with winning records. The Jaguars and the Packers. WWJD under those circumstances? Circumstances being a lot of injuries? He'd lose like every other coach would. 7 more games, in fact. What happened the following year? A year wherein they were tight against the cap and had to release big names like Samari Rolle and Derrick Mason (among others). A year that forced them to "go younger". Well, they lose an additional game to go 4-12. Fisher can't do shyte when faced with circumstances beyond his control. The situations he faced were the exact same things the Rams faced, just in a different order.

So, I'm not impressed with what he can do when things spiral out of control around him. I'm not impressed with what ANY coach can do in those circumstances, because no coach has BEEN ABLE TO do anything worthy of note under those circumstances. Yeah, he's got some experience. He knows how to be a head coach and he's done it before. That's great. I'm all for that. Just temper your expectations relative to what he's able to do outside the realm of his expertise. He's not a miracle worker *either*.

BS. All teams have injuries....but all coaches don't compound the damage by making stupid game time decisions. Rams are at 2 wins AGAIN not because of injuries but because of crap game management. Granted 5 wins isn't a great season but it might have kept Spags and crew employed for another year. The same crap game time decisions and prep that doomed this team in the season finale last season when the division was on the line. The Rams were not prepared. That won't happen on a Fisher team. Fisher teams play hard and it's an unpleasant experience for their opponents. You know where opponents don't look forward to playing to set team and franchise records like we've had to endure for years now.

Oh and nice cherry picking of seasons there.....but you failed to note that Fisher's teams went 8-8, 10-6, 13-3, 8-8 thereafter making the playoffs twice. Plus his teams played in far tougher divisions than the NFC West.
BS? So that didn't happen? :rofl:

Sure, all teams have injuries. That's a given in the NFL. Teams don't typically have them to the extent we did, then compound that by having no off-season, and further compound that with young players learning a new system, and further compound that with a tough schedule. That's not typical, and it didn't even happen to Fisher to that extent.

Cherry picking? How is it cherry picking when I looked for a reason WHY a successful head coach would have bad seasons? Would you have me pick out good seasons to make that parallel? Get a grip, dude. I'm not attacking your lead candidate here. I actually would prefer it if he became head coach here. I like Fisher, and I like what he brings to the table as a players' coach. I also like that his teams are typically physical. I. Like. That.

However, what you fail to grasp here is that he was AFFORDED the LUXURY of continuing on after those bad years and he was able to again field a healthy team with some additional players. He went on a nice little tear until he again ran into some unfavorable conditions. After which he went 6-10 when his QB situation was unstable. So, you see, it only takes a few obstacles to make a coach stumble. He's not any different than any other coach when faced with things outside his control. It AFFECTS the plan. What explanation would you like to offer as to why he had a bad season or 6? Are *excuses* allowed? Because you're going to offer some now...

You're funny. Just as funny as your refusal to address crap game time decisions by Spags. :lmao:

Lesson

Oh, really?
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
Angry Ram said:

Fisher plays to the strength of his players which is what a HC has to do.
That's PART of what a HC has to do.

Let's examine this WWJD (what would Jeff do) scenario wherein he is the answer at head coach. Not saying he isn't, but let's examine what he would do under similar circumstances. In 2003, the Titans went 12-4 and Fisher (as well as the Titans) went to the playoffs via a wildcard berth. They later lost to the Patriots, and that was that. Pretty good.

In 2004, however, they experienced a lot of injuries. Fisher (as well as the Titans) proceeded to lose 7 more games than the previous year to finish up at 5-11. 7 games less due to injury. Sound vaguely familiar? In that year, they beat two teams with winning records. The Jaguars and the Packers. WWJD under those circumstances? Circumstances being a lot of injuries? He'd lose like every other coach would. 7 more games, in fact. What happened the following year? A year wherein they were tight against the cap and had to release big names like Samari Rolle and Derrick Mason (among others). A year that forced them to "go younger". Well, they lose an additional game to go 4-12. Fisher can't do shyte when faced with circumstances beyond his control. The situations he faced were the exact same things the Rams faced, just in a different order.

So, I'm not impressed with what he can do when things spiral out of control around him. I'm not impressed with what ANY coach can do in those circumstances, because no coach has BEEN ABLE TO do anything worthy of note under those circumstances. Yeah, he's got some experience. He knows how to be a head coach and he's done it before. That's great. I'm all for that. Just temper your expectations relative to what he's able to do outside the realm of his expertise. He's not a miracle worker *either*.

BS. All teams have injuries....but all coaches don't compound the damage by making stupid game time decisions. Rams are at 2 wins AGAIN not because of injuries but because of crap game management. Granted 5 wins isn't a great season but it might have kept Spags and crew employed for another year. The same crap game time decisions and prep that doomed this team in the season finale last season when the division was on the line. The Rams were not prepared. That won't happen on a Fisher team. Fisher teams play hard and it's an unpleasant experience for their opponents. You know where opponents don't look forward to playing to set team and franchise records like we've had to endure for years now.

Oh and nice cherry picking of seasons there.....but you failed to note that Fisher's teams went 8-8, 10-6, 13-3, 8-8 thereafter making the playoffs twice. Plus his teams played in far tougher divisions than the NFC West.
BS? So that didn't happen? :rofl:

Sure, all teams have injuries. That's a given in the NFL. Teams don't typically have them to the extent we did, then compound that by having no off-season, and further compound that with young players learning a new system, and further compound that with a tough schedule. That's not typical, and it didn't even happen to Fisher to that extent.

Cherry picking? How is it cherry picking when I looked for a reason WHY a successful head coach would have bad seasons? Would you have me pick out good seasons to make that parallel? Get a grip, dude. I'm not attacking your lead candidate here. I actually would prefer it if he became head coach here. I like Fisher, and I like what he brings to the table as a players' coach. I also like that his teams are typically physical. I. Like. That.

However, what you fail to grasp here is that he was AFFORDED the LUXURY of continuing on after those bad years and he was able to again field a healthy team with some additional players. He went on a nice little tear until he again ran into some unfavorable conditions. After which he went 6-10 when his QB situation was unstable. So, you see, it only takes a few obstacles to make a coach stumble. He's not any different than any other coach when faced with things outside his control. It AFFECTS the plan. What explanation would you like to offer as to why he had a bad season or 6? Are *excuses* allowed? Because you're going to offer some now...

You're funny. Just as funny as your refusal to address crap game time decisions by Spags. :lmao:

What would you consider bad game time decisions by Spags?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Lesson said:
It doesn't matter. It's no different than what any other coach does on a weekly basis. Freezing your own kicker, blowing clock management, going for it on 4th down deep in your own territory with Manning on the other side (and NOT converting + losing the game), challenging bad plays and losing, not challenging bad plays at all, punting on 4th down, not punting on 4th down. Every coach, every week, does those things. When a coach is losing, that's when those things become mountains. When a coach is winning and does those things, it's a molehill.

Anonymous

Lesson said:

Wow. I didn't keep a list. Are you claiming you can't remember any? I'll give a big one for me: In the division deciding season finale in Seattle against a terrible run defense he rushes SJ 11 times.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
Lesson said:

Wow. I didn't keep a list. Are you claiming you can't remember any? I'll give a big one for me: In the division deciding season finale in Seattle against a terrible run defense he rushes SJ 11 times.
Yeah, Spags was a horrible offensive coordinator. I'll give you that.

Anonymous

X said:
Lesson said:
It doesn't matter. It's no different than what any other coach does on a weekly basis. Freezing your own kicker, blowing clock management, going for it on 4th down deep in your own territory with Manning on the other side (and NOT converting + losing the game), challenging bad plays and losing, not challenging bad plays at all, punting on 4th down, not punting on 4th down. Every coach, every week, does those things. When a coach is losing, that's when those things become mountains. When a coach is winning and does those things, it's a molehill.

It's a mountain.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
Lesson said:

It's a mountain.
It was a mountain. Now it's a molehill until some other coach does it.

Lesson

Oh, really?
squeaky wheel said:
Lesson said:

Fair enough.

But the reason why I asked is because if you are going to post something like that without any evidence, your statement might be questioned.

Anonymous

Lesson said:
squeaky wheel said:
Lesson said:

Fair enough.

But the reason why I asked is because if you are going to post something like that without any evidence, your statement might be questioned.

So you can't remember any others? I didn't think I posted something off the wall for anyone who watches the games. Spags was lacking in that respect.

Lesson

Oh, really?
squeaky wheel said:
Lesson said:
squeaky wheel said:
Lesson said:

Fair enough.

So you can't remember any others? I didn't think I posted something off the wall for anyone who watches the games. Spags was lacking in that respect.

Do I think that Spags made some rather large mistakes in game? Sure. Not noticing Crabtree is in on the fake FG is pretty embarrassing, but you can't just post something like that without backing it up.