Why Rams need Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
<a class="postlink" href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2ffeatures%2frumors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features ... s%2frumors</a>

Who has the insider?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
As the courtship of Jeff Fisher by various NFL teams continues, one of the more logical destinations is the St. Louis Rams, a team that already has a stable owner and franchise quarterback in place, as well as some good pieces on D. St. Louis will reportedly interview Fisher at some point in the near future, after he completed his visit with the Miami Dolphins on Tuesday.

In a column for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Bernie Miklasz explains why he thinks Fisher would make such a good choice for the Rams:

"Fisher's teams always had an identity. An identity that Fisher created. The Titans were tough. They were physical. They were relentless. They played with an attitude. They were never going to back down. Going on the road did not intimidate them; over Fisher's 16 full seasons the Titans had the NFL's fifth-best road winning percentage. Even when the Titans had losing seasons, they were not a team that opponents enjoyed facing. Over Fisher's 16 full years, the Titans ranked 6th in the NFL in rushing, and were No. 4 in stopping the run. They were 4th in sacking the QB and allowed the third-fewest number of sacks. The Titans passed the ball better than they were generally given credit for; over 16 seasons they had the league's 10th-best touchdown/interception ratio. Just very solid, tough and fundamentally sound football."

ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando writes that Fisher would fit right in with the rest of that division's coaches:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yet only 6 winning seasons in 15 years, exluding 1994.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
Yet only 6 winning seasons in 15 years, excluding 1994.
People will embrace 6 winning seasons in 15 years here as long as he yells and the Rams stay competitive. That seems to be the only requirement for a head coach (recently). I don't have a problem with him being the next guy. I've always admired how his teams played smashmouth ball. As a former safety, I kinda liked the way they'd lay the wood, and they always had a decent rushing attack. The problem as I see it (and this may not BE a problem in as much as it's an observation) is that his teams were really, really boring. With QBs setting records in passing yards and TD's, I think he's going to have to evolve a little in his approach. Good D and a good rushing attack isn't enough if you don't have the ability to play catch-up or pull away. But, he's a smart guy. I assume he'd be able to recognize the way the league is trending now and try to incorporate a good passing attack into his plan.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't mind the way his team plays; in fact, I wouldn't mind having some of the players they've drafted over the years (Cortland Finnegan comes to mind). I am a bit concerned about him drafting players with attitude problems (see Vince Young, Chris Johnson, Kenny Britt, LenDale White) and trading for cancers (Randy Moss). I don't want to go back to the days where character was considered to be worthless.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memento said:
I don't mind the way his team plays; in fact, I wouldn't mind having some of the players they've drafted over the years (Cortland Finnegan comes to mind). I am a bit concerned about him drafting players with attitude problems (see Vince Young, Chris Johnson, Kenny Britt, LenDale White) and trading for cancers (Randy Moss). I don't want to go back to the days where character was considered to be worthless.
Yeah, that's another legit concern. Maybe the new GM will have direct orders to seriously consider character when drafting or signing players. Whether or not people think that's a solid or stupid approach is irrelevant. It's the way this team IS built so far. And I don't know how you forget about Haynesworth, Pac Man and Blount.

Anonymous

Angry Ram said:

6 winning seasons.....so in your mind you mean he isn't an excellent coach? Because with those 6 seasons were a few seasons of 8-8 along with a move of a franchise from Houston to Memphis to Nashville. A substantial rebuild from an epic CAP HELL. Throw in a bizarre owner in Adams and multiple GMs....he is an excellent HC and anyone to doubt that is not in touch with reality....and that's being generous. Show me the "professionals" ripping Fisher's record and coaching ability. Look hard for that now....I know he's not a talking head on TV..... :roll:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
X said:
Memento said:
Yeah, that's another legit concern. Maybe the new GM will have direct orders to seriously consider character when drafting or signing players. Whether or not people think that's a solid or stupid approach is irrelevant. It's the way this team IS built so far. And I don't know how you forget about Haynesworth, Pac Man and Blount.

You're right, man. I can't believe I forgot about Haynesworth and Pacman. And they were worse than any of the guys I mentioned. Damn.

Anonymous

X said:
Angry Ram said:
People will embrace 6 winning seasons in 15 years here as long as he yells and the Rams stay competitive. That seems to be the only requirement for a head coach (recently). I don't have a problem with him being the next guy. I've always admired how his teams played smashmouth ball. As a former safety, I kinda liked the way they'd lay the wood, and they always had a decent rushing attack. The problem as I see it (and this may not BE a problem in as much as it's an observation) is that his teams were really, really boring. With QBs setting records in passing yards and TD's, I think he's going to have to evolve a little in his approach. Good D and a good rushing attack isn't enough if you don't have the ability to play catch-up or pull away. But, he's a smart guy. I assume he'd be able to recognize the way the league is trending now and try to incorporate a good passing attack into his plan.

Fisher plays to the strength of his players which is what a HC has to do.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
Angry Ram said:

That's PART of what a HC has to do.

Let's examine this WWJD (what would Jeff do) scenario wherein he is the answer at head coach. Not saying he isn't, but let's examine what he would do under similar circumstances. In 2003, the Titans went 12-4 and Fisher (as well as the Titans) went to the playoffs via a wildcard berth. They later lost to the Patriots, and that was that. Pretty good.

In 2004, however, they experienced a lot of injuries. Fisher (as well as the Titans) proceeded to lose 7 more games than the previous year to finish up at 5-11. 7 games less due to injury. Sound vaguely familiar? In that year, they beat two teams with winning records. The Jaguars and the Packers. WWJD under those circumstances? Circumstances being a lot of injuries? He'd lose like every other coach would. 7 more games, in fact. What happened the following year? A year wherein they were tight against the cap and had to release big names like Samari Rolle and Derrick Mason (among others). A year that forced them to "go younger". Well, they lose an additional game to go 4-12. Fisher can't do shit when faced with circumstances beyond his control. The situations he faced were the exact same things the Rams faced, just in a different order.

So, I'm not impressed with what he can do when things spiral out of control around him. I'm not impressed with what ANY coach can do in those circumstances, because no coach has BEEN ABLE TO do anything worthy of note under those circumstances. Yeah, he's got some experience. He knows how to be a head coach and he's done it before. That's great. I'm all for that. Just temper your expectations relative to what he's able to do outside the realm of his expertise. He's not a miracle worker *either*.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think the NFL had changed too much for Fisher to run a team like he did the Titans. If he is willing to adjust to the new NFL, then I'm all for it. If not then I don't think he would be the man to be a Lombardi Trophy back to the Rams.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
X said:
Angry Ram said:

I agree it wouild be a smashmouth, tough team. It wouldn't be bad, in fact I said in another thread I'm very slightly starting to warm up the idea of being HC.

squeaky wheel said:
Angry Ram said:

6 winning seasons.....so in your mind you mean he isn't an excellent coach? Because with those 6 seasons were a few seasons of 8-8 along with a move of a franchise from Houston to Memphis to Nashville. A substantial rebuild from an epic CAP HELL. Throw in a bizarre owner in Adams and multiple GMs....he is an excellent HC and anyone to doubt that is not in touch with reality....and that's being generous. Show me the "professionals" ripping Fisher's record and coaching ability. Look hard for that now....I know he's not a talking head on TV..... :roll:

I don't buy into the hype b/c of his tenure. I do think he's smart, just not so awesome that he's placed on this pedestal of the upper echelon of coaches. And FYI, I would not accept years of 8-8. Maybe a couple times, but eventually I want to be a yearly contender like Pittsburgh. 9+ wins. Consistency.

It's funny that you mentioned EPIC CAP HELL, weird owner, move...while that's exactly what Spags had to go through. Sans the move of course, although the rumors of LA were always there.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
I think the NFL had changed too much for Fisher to run a team like he did the Titans. If he is willing to adjust to the new NFL, then I'm all for it. If not then I don't think he would be the man to be a Lombardi Trophy back to the Rams.
I agree with this. The top seeds from the AFC and NFC both are ranked in the bottom two in defense. Offense wins in the NFL today, and that is trending up. I think that we had the right idea pairing McDaniels and Spags, but we have to execute that plan and need the players to be able to accomplish it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
bluecoconuts said:
I agree with this. The top seeds from the AFC and NFC both are ranked in the bottom two in defense. Offense wins in the NFL today, and that is trending up. I think that we had the right idea pairing McDaniels and Spags, but we have to execute that plan and need the players to be able to accomplish it.
I agree with both of you. Yay. A majority!

And that's the primary reason why anybody who wanted them to return as a tandem, wanted them to return. Get them more players and a full off-season with OTA's, and maybe next year is a break-out year. Instead, let's get rid of half the equation and force the other to make a tough decision about his own future. Premature. Premature, premature, premature.

bluecoconuts

Legend
DR RAM said:
bluecoconuts said:

That's the biggest thing that worries me. I like the idea of a tough smash mouth team, but looking at the NFL today, those teams are less and less. There's a reason why there were 3 players that went over 5,000 passing yards, with two of them beating Marino's old record, with a 4th player who probably would have had 5,000+ yards if he played the final game.

The game is changing, if we don't get a coach who will change with it, we're just going to fall behind. So again, if Fisher is able to adapt to the new NFL I will be happy to have him as a coach. If he is not, then we're probably going to be looking at this process again in 2-3 years.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
DR RAM said:
bluecoconuts said:

That's the biggest thing that worries me. I like the idea of a tough smash mouth team, but looking at the NFL today, those teams are less and less. There's a reason why there were 3 players that went over 5,000 passing yards, with two of them beating Marino's old record, with a 4th player who probably would have had 5,000+ yards if he played the final game.

The game is changing, if we don't get a coach who will change with it, we're just going to fall behind. So again, if Fisher is able to adapt to the new NFL I will be happy to have him as a coach. If he is not, then we're probably going to be looking at this process again in 2-3 years.
If we want to be a smashmouth team, yet still score points, then the Steelers should be our mold. I'd be happy with that.

Anonymous

X said:
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
Angry Ram said:

Let's examine this WWJD (what would Jeff do) scenario wherein he is the answer at head coach. Not saying he isn't, but let's examine what he would do under similar circumstances. In 2003, the Titans went 12-4 and Fisher (as well as the Titans) went to the playoffs via a wildcard berth. They later lost to the Patriots, and that was that. Pretty good.

In 2004, however, they experienced a lot of injuries. Fisher (as well as the Titans) proceeded to lose 7 more games than the previous year to finish up at 5-11. 7 games less due to injury. Sound vaguely familiar? In that year, they beat two teams with winning records. The Jaguars and the Packers. WWJD under those circumstances? Circumstances being a lot of injuries? He'd lose like every other coach would. 7 more games, in fact. What happened the following year? A year wherein they were tight against the cap and had to release big names like Samari Rolle and Derrick Mason (among others). A year that forced them to "go younger". Well, they lose an additional game to go 4-12. Fisher can't do shyte when faced with circumstances beyond his control. The situations he faced were the exact same things the Rams faced, just in a different order.

So, I'm not impressed with what he can do when things spiral out of control around him. I'm not impressed with what ANY coach can do in those circumstances, because no coach has BEEN ABLE TO do anything worthy of note under those circumstances. Yeah, he's got some experience. He knows how to be a head coach and he's done it before. That's great. I'm all for that. Just temper your expectations relative to what he's able to do outside the realm of his expertise. He's not a miracle worker *either*.

BS. All teams have injuries....but all coaches don't compound the damage by making stupid game time decisions. Rams are at 2 wins AGAIN not because of injuries but because of crap game management. Granted 5 wins isn't a great season but it might have kept Spags and crew employed for another year. The same crap game time decisions and prep that doomed this team in the season finale last season when the division was on the line. The Rams were not prepared. That won't happen on a Fisher team. Fisher teams play hard and it's an unpleasant experience for their opponents. You know where opponents don't look forward to playing to set team and franchise records like we've had to endure for years now.

Oh and nice cherry picking of seasons there.....but you failed to note that Fisher's teams went 8-8, 10-6, 13-3, 8-8 thereafter making the playoffs twice. Plus his teams played in far tougher divisions than the NFC West.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
X said:
Angry Ram said:

It seems like we have that discussion every year about the direction this league is moving in and what type of team you need to win the SB. The main thing we know is that you need a good QB. Theres always gonna be some teams that rely on D and running the ball to get to the playoffs every year. Thats the formula the Chiefs had last year, the Texans, 49ers, and Ravens have it this year. If we end up with a Pats/Packers SB then thats 2 bad defenses, they dont have a consistent rushing attack, but they have the great QBs.

You look at the QBs Fisher has had those QB always needed a running game. He didnt put them in uncomfortable situations. They had the Eddie George/McNair tandem for years. Vince Young and Kerry Collins best seasons were when they had a good running game.

So then the question becomes what willl Fisher wanna do with our offense and how will he handle Bradford. I think the moment he meets Bradford, gets a chance to chat with him, and then watches college (would he still check out Bradfords college tape?) and pro tape he will realize that this is a franchise QB that just needs more weapons to throw to, and some upgrades on the OL. He has all the tools to be a QB that you can go into a game and have confidence in him winning it no matter what.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
Angry Ram said:

In 2004, however, they experienced a lot of injuries. Fisher (as well as the Titans) proceeded to lose 7 more games than the previous year to finish up at 5-11. 7 games less due to injury. Sound vaguely familiar? In that year, they beat two teams with winning records. The Jaguars and the Packers. WWJD under those circumstances? Circumstances being a lot of injuries? He'd lose like every other coach would. 7 more games, in fact. What happened the following year? A year wherein they were tight against the cap and had to release big names like Samari Rolle and Derrick Mason (among others). A year that forced them to "go younger". Well, they lose an additional game to go 4-12. Fisher can't do shyte when faced with circumstances beyond his control. The situations he faced were the exact same things the Rams faced, just in a different order.

BS. All teams have injuries....but all coaches don't compound the damage by making stupid game time decisions. Rams are at 2 wins AGAIN not because of injuries but because of crap game management. Granted 5 wins isn't a great season but it might have kept Spags and crew employed for another year. The same crap game time decisions and prep that doomed this team in the season finale last season when the division was on the line. The Rams were not prepared. That won't happen on a Fisher team. Fisher teams play hard and it's an unpleasant experience for their opponents. You know where opponents don't look forward to playing to set team and franchise records like we've had to endure for years now.

Oh and nice cherry picking of seasons there.....but you failed to note that Fisher's teams went 8-8, 10-6, 13-3, 8-8 thereafter making the playoffs twice. Plus his teams played in far tougher divisions than the NFC West.
BS? So that didn't happen? :rofl:

Sure, all teams have injuries. That's a given in the NFL. Teams don't typically have them to the extent we did, then compound that by having no off-season, and further compound that with young players learning a new system, and further compound that with a tough schedule. That's not typical, and it didn't even happen to Fisher to that extent.

Cherry picking? How is it cherry picking when I looked for a reason WHY a successful head coach would have bad seasons? Would you have me pick out good seasons to make that parallel? Get a grip, dude. I'm not attacking your lead candidate here. I actually would prefer it if he became head coach here. I like Fisher, and I like what he brings to the table as a players' coach. I also like that his teams are typically physical. I. Like. That.

However, what you fail to grasp here is that he was AFFORDED the LUXURY of continuing on after those bad years and he was able to again field a healthy team with some additional players. He went on a nice little tear until he again ran into some unfavorable conditions. After which he went 6-10 when his QB situation was unstable. So, you see, it only takes a few obstacles to make a coach stumble. He's not any different than any other coach when faced with things outside his control. It AFFECTS the plan. What explanation would you like to offer as to why he had a bad season or 6? Are *excuses* allowed? Because you're going to offer some now...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
JdashSTL said:
X said:
Angry Ram said:

It seems like we have that discussion every year about the direction this league is moving in and what type of team you need to win the SB. The main thing we know is that you need a good QB. Theres always gonna be some teams that rely on D and running the ball to get to the playoffs every year. Thats the formula the Chiefs had last year, the Texans, 49ers, and Ravens have it this year. If we end up with a Pats/Packers SB then thats 2 bad defenses, they dont have a consistent rushing attack, but they have the great QBs.

You look at the QBs Fisher has had those QB always needed a running game. He didnt put them in uncomfortable situations. They had the Eddie George/McNair tandem for years. Vince Young and Kerry Collins best seasons were when they had a good running game.

So then the question becomes what willl Fisher wanna do with our offense and how will he handle Bradford. I think the moment he meets Bradford, gets a chance to chat with him, and then watches college (would he still check out Bradfords college tape?) and pro tape he will realize that this is a franchise QB that just needs more weapons to throw to, and some upgrades on the OL. He has all the tools to be a QB that you can go into a game and have confidence in him winning it no matter what.
Yeah I agree with that. I think this offensive line would be more of an asset if it became a run-first line. IF Fisher becomes head coach, you have to believe that we're going to see more runningbacks brought in via the draft and free agency too. Bradford is going to be a good QB - particularly if the Rams become a run-heavy team. Draw those safeties in, and away he'll go. I'm getting more and more warm to the idea of Fisher because of the physicality of his teams. And I'm sure Jackson would LOVE it. This could conceivably be the best years of his career if Fisher is hired. Those two are tailor made for each other.