Weed Killer Spray - Recommendations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Hey guys, I need some help on this lame AF topic. I recently got a new house that came with a pre-planted vegetation garden. It's super nutrient rich soil covered with mulch. I have typical small to medium sized shrubs, bushes, and hedges growing from them. It does grow a shit ton of weeds, and every time I pull them I try to get the roots and rhizomes and other weed whatnot but weeds ya know?

Since I'm a new homeowner, can anyone point to some good weed killer I can buy at like Lowes or Amazon? I know Round Up, but there's, umm issues with them.

Hot and humid for the most part here, if that makes a difference. Thanks.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think the Roundup issues are overblown. From what I hear it affects people who use large amounts over a long time. LIke with farmers. I spray my yard once a week with it and no weeds and no problems. Although I'm still trying to figure out where this 3rd eye in my forehead came from.

bluecoconuts

Legend
In terms of weed killer, I’ll let someone else take that one, since I just pick whatever, or pull them myself, so I wouldn’t be much assistance there.

Putting mulch down should help prevent them from coming back though, that’s why my father did around his house, looks great. Worth looking into anyway, others may have better suggestions.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the Roundup issues are overblown. From what I hear it affects people who use large amounts over a long time. LIke with farmers. I spray my yard once a week with it and no weeds and no problems. Although I'm still trying to figure out where this 3rd eye in my forehead came from.

My dad used it back in the 80s and 90s, no issues either. He probably used it way less than you, too.

In terms of weed killer, I’ll let someone else take that one, since I just pick whatever, or pull them myself, so I wouldn’t be much assistance there.

Putting mulch down should help prevent them from coming back though, that’s why my father did around his house, looks great. Worth looking into anyway, others may have better suggestions.

I do have mulch currently...unless you mean putting in a fresh batch over it after spraying? Do I need to remove the old mulch first though?

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
After you're done weeding and spraying I highly recommend you place ground cover and use aluminum spikes to hold it over the areas that do not have vegetation. These are inexpensive and readily available at Lowe's and HD.

The previous home owner did this and I do not have weeds in my backyard.

bluecoconuts

Legend
My dad used it back in the 80s and 90s, no issues either. He probably used it way less than you, too.

I do have mulch currently...unless you mean putting in a fresh batch over it after spraying? Do I need to remove the old mulch first though?

I don’t know too much, but I know that a layer of about two inches of mulch and wood chips should help keep moisture in as well as sunlight out, so the plants already there are good, but new ones can’t really sprout, which stops the weeds. I don’t do it myself though, so you’d be much better off asking someone at Lowe’s. I just know that’s what my father did and it worked. He also did layers of rocks for some planters, so he mixed it up. Same concept though, keeps the weeds from coming back.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If someone has a concern over the chemical ingredients in roundup, you can use white vinegar with few drops of Dawn dish detergent. They say it actually kills the weeds faster. Especially in cold weather. But it doesn't go all the way to the root like roundup does. Roundup does take a lot longer in cold weather. Right now, I can spray once a week and the weeds are dead and gone in a few days. In the winter takes 2 or 3 weeks. I usually spray it twice a month in winter. Once a week in summer. I'm too old to be bending over picking weeds. The weeds are almost non existent when I do it that way.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I've found that with ground cover fabrics what happens is over time the wind and weather will fill dirt on top. Then you end up with weeds anyway.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I've found that with ground cover fabrics what happens is over time the wind and weather will fill dirt on top. Then you end up with weeds anyway.
I've lived in a windy area in northern California for four years with ground cover. The only place with weeds in the backyard are the ground cover that I've torn open to plant new flowers and fruits. The only thing that will grow on top of the ground cover is a hardened moss (not a weed).

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
My son has your answer:

He says: Because they are weeds, they are probably annual sprouters from seeds.
So to prevent them from germinating today and into the future you can apply Surflan

* aside from people’s dislike for Monsanto, he says Round-up isn’t the best product for a number of reasons - but cause you are dealing with planters it’s not a huge issue like it is with large commercial growers.

BUT it can stay around a lot longer and when you plant new stuff or have exiting plants, cause it’s pretty broad, you may get accidental drift.

Surflan is good cause with no negative issues for existing plants or future plantings - and it will kill future weeds from germinating.

Angry Ram

I don’t know too much, but I know that a layer of about two inches of mulch and wood chips should help keep moisture in as well as sunlight out, so the plants already there are good, but new ones can’t really sprout, which stops the weeds. I don’t do it myself though, so you’d be much better off asking someone at Lowe’s. I just know that’s what my father did and it worked. He also did layers of rocks for some planters, so he mixed it up. Same concept though, keeps the weeds from coming back.

Yup, the lines up with some of the YouTube videos I watched on it. Gosh this sounds so lame.

If someone has a concern over the chemical ingredients in roundup, you can use white vinegar with few drops of Dawn dish detergent. They say it actually kills the weeds faster. Especially in cold weather. But it doesn't go all the way to the root like roundup does. Roundup does take a lot longer in cold weather. Right now, I can spray once a week and the weeds are dead and gone in a few days. In the winter takes 2 or 3 weeks. I usually spray it twice a month in winter. Once a week in summer. I'm too old to be bending over picking weeds. The weeds are almost non existent when I do it that way.

Yeah I need to kill the root. I dont want to bend over either, waste if time.

My son has your answer:

He says: Because they are weeds, they are probably annual sprouters from seeds.
So to prevent them from germinating today and into the future you can apply Surflan

* aside from people’s dislike for Monsanto, he says Round-up isn’t the best product for a number of reasons - but cause you are dealing with planters it’s not a huge issue like it is with large commercial growers.

BUT it can stay around a lot longer and when you plant new stuff or have exiting plants, cause it’s pretty broad, you may get accidental drift.

Surflan is good cause with no negative issues for existing plants or future plantings - and it will kill future weeds from germinating.

There's like 10 different choices lol. I'm not spending $80+ on it. Which one is best for my small garden? Also is that in powder or liquid?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It depends on how much you use. If you will be using a fair amount regularly, go to your local fertilizer and chemical plant and buy Buccaneer. You can get 2.5 gallons of concentrate for $36. It is glyphosate just like Round up but have the price. I think it works better.

Some people use a mixture of Epsom salts with vinegar. It takes longer and doesn’t last as long as round up. But it’s safer for the environment. My issue with round up is not people using it. The problem is if you spray it on flowers that are in bloom you will be killing bees.

I spray my weeds 2-3 times tops from Spring to Fall.

Weed barrier is nice but not if you don’t have enough mulch on top. If not some weeds can root through the fabric and are impossible to get rid of. Don’t use solid plastic. A benefit of weed barrier is that it lets moisture in but helps lock it in the ground. Plus air can get through. Plant roots actually can take in carbon dioxide through the ground and into upper roots.

If you don’t need much then just get some round up or buccaneer at the hardware store. It will likely cost as much for a quart as you could pay for the 2.5 gallons. If you buy the big one then don’t let it get too cold while storing. Below zero temps can render it nearly useless.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Once a week? Where do you live? My weeds can take over a month to grow back.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Once a week? Where do you live? My weeds can take over a month to grow back.

San Joaquin Valley. There aren't many this time of year. But there are always a few small ones every week. Especially around areas that get watered regularly. I catch them before they have a chance to grow. In the spring they can pop up real fast. I can spray one day. come back a week later and a whole bunch more are starting.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Some things this city boy has learned about weeds here in the jungle of central Missouri...

1. You can't stop them, the key is finding what level you want to live with them. They overgrow my gravel driveway for fuck's sake. I've tried Roundup (which works the best of all the types of herbicides that I've used on perimeter sprays) and it helps keep them down but applying that shit on a perimeter around 5 acres is some hard work man. So I have settled in to using it in the spring and into the early (wet) half of summer on an as-needed basis. And by the way I've also used salt, vinegar, etc. None of that shit works out here though and the plants are like "that all you got MFer???"

2. I wouldn't use chemical on a vegetable garden personally. Don't have the garden beds in just yet but going to go with raised beds that will be ready for next spring and my whole purpose for doing that is to get away from chemicals they put in shit. I doubt I'll grow enough to keep us in food through the whole year so sticking to my guns on the herbicide is kind of important to me. Also and this annoys the shit out of me but the bugs are a whole other problem once you actually start growing food. I found this out when my apple tree hit year number 3 and is now covered with apples finally, however the bugs (and the birds too for that matter) have been feasting on them. Not sure how many will survive and I'll adjust from there but I still don't think I'm going to be willing to spray even my fruit trees with chemicals.

3. Elbow grease is the best remedy IMO. Pulling the weeds or at the least weedeater usage to keep them down is my primary way of control. The gravel drive the best way is to drag a blade from a tractor or other heavy equipment and re-spread the rocks. That buys me a year when I do it. In my wife's garden (which is massive by my definition of a garden) the mulch itself was what introduced a lot of nasty weed types along the paths and on the paths, all of which has to be pulled if you want to get rid of it. Oh and btw my wife swears by a coconut mulch she uses now, swears it doesn't have the weed seeds in it like the other stuff had. So I get out there with one of those rolling low seat things and wear a good pair of gloves when I help her out.

Seriously though I even tried a flame thrower attachment for a BBQ grill propane gas tank. Went around the trouble areas nuking the everloving shit out of the weeds and they were back the very next week even stronger. I swear man if humans disappeared in like one year the entire midwest would be a thriving forest growing up and through the houses. It's just crazy.

Last edited:

ozarkram

Duke of Earl
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some things this city boy has learned about weeds here in the jungle of central Missouri...

1. You can't stop them, the key is finding what level you want to live with them. They overgrow my gravel driveway for fuck's sake. I've tried Roundup (which works the best of all the types of herbicides that I've used on perimeter sprays) and it helps keep them down but applying that shit on a perimeter around 5 acres is some hard work man. So I have settled in to using it in the spring and into the early (wet) half of summer on an as-needed basis. And by the way I've also used salt, vinegar, etc. None of that shit works out here though and the plants are like "that all you got MFer???"

2. I wouldn't use chemical on a vegetable garden personally. Don't have the garden beds in just yet but going to go with raised beds that will be ready for next spring and my whole purpose for doing that is to get away from chemicals they put in shit. I doubt I'll grow enough to keep us in food through the whole year so sticking to my guns on the herbicide is kind of important to me. Also and this annoys the shit out of me but the bugs are a whole other problem once you actually start growing food. I found this out when my apple tree hit year number 3 and is now covered with apples finally, however the bugs (and the birds too for that matter) have been feasting on them. Not sure how many will survive and I'll adjust from there but I still don't think I'm going to be willing to spray even my fruit trees with chemicals.

3. Elbow grease is the best remedy IMO. Pulling the weeds or at the least weedeater usage to keep them down is my primary way of control. The gravel drive the best way is to drag a blade from a tractor or other heavy equipment and re-spread the rocks. That buys me a year when I do it. In my wife's garden (which is massive by my definition of a garden) the mulch itself was what introduced a lot of nasty weed types along the paths and on the paths, all of which has to be pulled if you want to get rid of it. Oh and btw my wife swears by a coconut mulch she uses now, swears it doesn't have the weed seeds in it like the other stuff had. So I get out there with one of those rolling low seat things and wear a good pair of gloves when I help her out.

Seriously though I even tried a flame thrower attachment for a BBQ grill propane gas tank. Went around the trouble areas nuking the everloving shit out of the weeds and they were back the very next week even stronger. I swear man if humans disappeared in like one year the entire midwest would be a thriving forest growing up and through the houses. It's just crazy.
Welcome to the Ozarks my friend.

Angry Ram

Today's my Super Bowl. Hitting up the Lowes. I just need a small bit. Plan is to till the existing mulch, apply the spray and put fresh mulch over.

Mine just has shrubs and bushes...no veggies. That will (if I ever get motivated enough) be in my backyard.

Did that the past couple days. It wasn't too bad, but I need to make it pretty. All the old mulch looks pretty gross right now.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have used a good amount of weed killer most all my adult life going back to the mid 70's. I learned early that I have little tolerance to exposure to my uncovered skin (hands & lower arms) I get sick nausea type symptoms for about 24 hrs. I use gloves or wash my hands immediately if I get any on me. I try not to breathe it too. Here in Florida we can certainly grow some serious weeds with all the sunny hot wet damp weather. I use it primarily on fence lines, breaks in concrete that grow weeds & on poison ivy & oak. Sad thing down here in the deep south even the strongest week killer does not work very long.....weeds will start shooting out in a few weeks.

I would never use it in any kind of rich soil where I would use my hands or be handling said soil. In addition, I would not use week killer in any areas where I would be replanting trees or plants or use it or around vegetable & fruit trees. Hope these comments helps you out some.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Spray some of this stuff over the whole property and you never have to worry about weeds again. Ever. Although I would highly recommend not letting any family members or pets reproduce.

farp,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.jpg