Weed Killer Spray - Recommendations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My son has your answer:

He says: Because they are weeds, they are probably annual sprouters from seeds.
So to prevent them from germinating today and into the future you can apply Surflan

* aside from people’s dislike for Monsanto, he says Round-up isn’t the best product for a number of reasons - but cause you are dealing with planters it’s not a huge issue like it is with large commercial growers.

BUT it can stay around a lot longer and when you plant new stuff or have exiting plants, cause it’s pretty broad, you may get accidental drift.

Surflan is good cause with no negative issues for existing plants or future plantings - and it will kill future weeds from germinating.
Round up (glyphosate) actually becomes inert when it hits soil. That is why farmers started using it to begin with.

I highly recommend using Surflan to prevent seed germination

I suggest that the Round Up issue is not only overblown but I was in the landscape business for over two decades. It is more likely that most landscapers blend chemicals like 2-4-D in with it to kill tougher weeds like dandelions, berries, and ivy.

Surflan and spot spraying the weeds that are there should take care of your problem. Mix some dish soap with it to cut the surface tension of the leaves and spray in the morning when the wind is low or non-existent.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Today's my Super Bowl. Hitting up the Lowes. I just need a small bit. Plan is to till the existing mulch, apply the spray and put fresh mulch over.
If using glyphosate, kill first, then till and mulch, then use Surflan. Or better yet, Surflan THEN mulch.

I recommend generic glyphosate that you can get at an ag store. It has no additives that Monsanto puts in it to "improve" its efficacy.

Surflan stops seeds from germinating so if you are planning on planting things like flowers from seed, don't use it there. It does travel along the ground so don't use it within 5' of anywhere you have lawn downhill from it or where you want to plant seeds.

Round up does nothing if it can't sit on the leaves for an hour or two.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Round up (glyphosate) actually becomes inert when it hits soil. That is why farmers started using it to begin with.

I highly recommend using Surflan to prevent seed germination

I suggest that the Round Up issue is not only overblown but I was in the landscape business for over two decades. It is more likely that most landscapers blend chemicals like 2-4-D in with it to kill tougher weeds like dandelions, berries, and ivy.

Surflan and spot spraying the weeds that are there should take care of your problem. Mix some dish soap with it to cut the surface tension of the leaves and spray in the morning when the wind is low or non-existent.

I’ll relate this to my son. He’ll have some response .... he always does :)

Edit: his response is - yes, that it binds up with the soil but you still run a chance that the bond can break - it still remains despite it bonding with soil and it can still have after effects

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I’ll relate this to my son. He’ll have some response .... he always does :)

Edit: his response is - yes, that it binds up with the soil but you still run a chance that the bond can break - it still remains despite it bonding with soil and it can still have after effects
Most likely if it's used in excess. It's a salt (non-technically speaking) so that would make sense.

How's the young man doing. Good kid you got there.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most likely if it's used in excess. It's a salt (non-technically speaking) so that would make sense.

How's the young man doing. Good kid you got there.
Wait, I think I missed something...Gargling with Round Up makes it hard to hear things, so...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If using glyphosate, kill first, then till and mulch, then use Surflan. Or better yet, Surflan THEN mulch.

I recommend generic glyphosate that you can get at an ag store. It has no additives that Monsanto puts in it to "improve" its efficacy.

Surflan stops seeds from germinating so if you are planning on planting things like flowers from seed, don't use it there. It does travel along the ground so don't use it within 5' of anywhere you have lawn downhill from it or where you want to plant seeds.

Round up does nothing if it can't sit on the leaves for an hour or two.

Well I didn't end up actually spraying; the pulling and turnover got rid of them; if anything pops us now I'll use the spray. Besides, it's raining all week so it wouldn't be worth it right now.

Here's the before/after...I think I did OK. The before doesn't show how bad it really looked before. Imagine a lot more weeds in the front.

115865916_4729412680426_3704763860778191627_o.jpg

115896979_4729412920432_5482524959862241143_o.jpg