49'ers The San Francisco 49’ers Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Let’s see… Shanahan (the guy who always gets the most out of his QB’s) is ready to move on after 9 games…

Ding ding ding… Nobody should be offering a 2nd!

NFL insider offers insight on potential trade cost for San Francisco 49ers QB Trey Lance​

On the latest You Pod to Win the Game podcast, NFL report Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports shared what he believed would be enough to acquire Lance from the 49ers.

“The compensation for trading for Trey Lance can’t be…I guarantee, I think if you offered San Francisco a two (second-round pick) for Lance right now, you’d get him. I truly believe that. If you offered a second-round pick for Trey Lance, you’d probably get him right now.”

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I would not trade a 2nd for Lance. I don't see him as legit starting quarterback. He's in a good situation where he's at now. Just hand the ball off to McCaffrey or throw the quick outs, slants, etc. to the other playmakers. Put him on another team and I could see him totally flop.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Purdy seems like a good and nice kid, but I don't believe he'll be any better than jimmy g without the #1 defense behind him and being able to play "close to the vest" offense.

Any older Ram's fans recall how this worked for the Rams in the 1970's?

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Lance’s total starts in 2020 (final year in college), 2021 and 2022: 5.

Second round pick for him?

No thanks.

oldnotdead

Legend
Brock Purdy has skills and he validated his pre-draft evaluations. Most evaluators had a second to top of the third grade on him. He dropped because of his physical metrics, short stature, 6'1" and short arms 29". He has a good arm capable of driving the ball out to 25 yds with good accuracy on both short and intermediate passes. He was deemed by most to be a one year project capable of being a solid tier 2 backup QB. Reading defenses, decision making and touch passes particularly on deep passes were what needed development. He's got an NFL caliber arm.

Guess what? They are saying the same thing about Clayton Tune and I have no doubt that Purdy's success is what drove interest in Clayton Tune by the Rams. But IMO Tune is much better overall and projects better in terms of his career. He's probably reminded McVay of Mayfield, same height, and type of arm, but Mayfield was an RPO QB who transitioned to pocket passing where as Tune is a pocket passer who can run with very good 4.6 speed. As I have said for a long time if he's at 36 the Rams should take him. They can get a good edge in the third round or go with the guys they have (VanValkenburg). Tune could develop into a good starter, but until Stafford retires he can come in if needed and win games, short term or long term. I wouldn't mind it if the Rams took Tune this year and it's Mayfield that woke the FO up about what they really need at QB2 and perhaps long term. The way McVay worked with Mayfield playing to his strengths would work with Tune as well. Tune has the head and mentality to be a scheme fit for the Ram's offense.

Mayfield, Purdy and IMO Tune are good tier two QBs that can win games if they have support on both sides of the ball. The advantage of this kind of QB is they aren't going to break the bank anytime soon allowing them to build and maintain the team around them. This is what Mayfield showed Snead and McVay. Mayfield is on a one year proveit deal. If the Rams want him back next year they could get him with a long term deal allowing the Rams to start Stafford one more year before he retires. But if they draft Tune there is no need. With Tune as a backup for two years, then he would be ready to start in 2025 if Stafford pulls the plug and retires after 2024.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

NzQ2NDM.gif

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Brock Purdy has skills and he validated his pre-draft evaluations. Most evaluators had a second to top of the third grade on him. He dropped because of his physical metrics, short stature, 6'1" and short arms 29". He has a good arm capable of driving the ball out to 25 yds with good accuracy on both short and intermediate passes. He was deemed by most to be a one year project capable of being a solid tier 2 backup QB. Reading defenses, decision making and touch passes particularly on deep passes were what needed development. He's got an NFL caliber arm.

Guess what? They are saying the same thing about Clayton Tune and I have no doubt that Purdy's success is what drove interest in Clayton Tune by the Rams. But IMO Tune is much better overall and projects better in terms of his career. He's probably reminded McVay of Mayfield, same height, and type of arm, but Mayfield was an RPO QB who transitioned to pocket passing where as Tune is a pocket passer who can run with very good 4.6 speed. As I have said for a long time if he's at 36 the Rams should take him. They can get a good edge in the third round or go with the guys they have (VanValkenburg). Tune could develop into a good starter, but until Stafford retires he can come in if needed and win games, short term or long term. I wouldn't mind it if the Rams took Tune this year and it's Mayfield that woke the FO up about what they really need at QB2 and perhaps long term. The way McVay worked with Mayfield playing to his strengths would work with Tune as well. Tune has the head and mentality to be a scheme fit for the Ram's offense.

Mayfield, Purdy and IMO Tune are good tier two QBs that can win games if they have support on both sides of the ball. The advantage of this kind of QB is they aren't going to break the bank anytime soon allowing them to build and maintain the team around them. This is what Mayfield showed Snead and McVay. Mayfield is on a one year proveit deal. If the Rams want him back next year they could get him with a long term deal allowing the Rams to start Stafford one more year before he retires. But if they draft Tune there is no need. With Tune as a backup for two years, then he would be ready to start in 2025 if Stafford pulls the plug and retires after 2024.
The fact The Rams went with there backup QB’s the last few years shows how faraway Mcvay is on any of that.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think Stafford's injury and the poor performance of Wolford was a wakeup call. They have made no move to sign either Wolford or Perkins and if they were going to be casual about it they could have signed one of the retread vets. This tells me they probably are going to draft a QB. Mayfield showed them the value of a good QB2. If they can get one that can be groomed to be a starter in 2025 while providing depth for two years that would be the plan IMO.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Stafford's injury and the poor performance of Wolford was a wakeup call. They have made no move to sign either Wolford or Perkins and if they were going to be casual about it they could have signed one of the retread vets. This tells me they probably are going to draft a QB. Mayfield showed them the value of a good QB2. If they can get one that can be groomed to be a starter in 2025 while providing depth for two years that would be the plan IMO.

Every so often I’ll see someone say, “ well you aren’t a coach/GM” in one of their arguments. McVay feeling comfortable with Perkins and Wolford as backups, while nearly everybody on here knew that they were awful, is proof enough that it’s okay to question the coach’s or GM’s decisions even though they won a Super Bowl recently. .

oldnotdead

Legend
I'm not questioning their judgment. They kept Wolford because they had other priorities. Now QB2 is one. All I'm doing is going by what the FO is doing. They basically released both Wolford and Perkins though they said they would take Perkins back for the right price.

They signed Mayfield on an impulse and it really highlighted the issue at QB2 that is all I'm pointing out.

Every so often someone has to nitpick what people think. But okay, if they do pick a QB2 in the first 6 picks what will you say then? If they don't but take one in the 6th or 7th round like Haener I've already talked about that...i.e. a solid career backup projected tier 2 QB is someone they need if they make a run at the next franchise QB next year. It would reflect a change in their thinking. If they return to UDFAs that would be business as usual. This doesn't feel like a business as usual year. Both Snead and McVay are on record saying they don't view this as a down year. I'm on record saying I agree.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm not questioning their judgment. They kept Wolford because they had other priorities. Now QB2 is one. All I'm doing is going by what the FO is doing. They basically released both Wolford and Perkins though they said they would take Perkins back for the right price.

They signed Mayfield on an impulse and it really highlighted the issue at QB2 that is all I'm pointing out.

Every so often someone has to nitpick what people think. But okay, if they do pick a QB2 in the first 6 picks what will you say then? If they don't but take one in the 6th or 7th round like Haener I've already talked about that...i.e. a solid career backup projected tier 2 QB is someone they need if they make a run at the next franchise QB next year. It would reflect a change in their thinking. If they return to UDFAs that would be business as usual. This doesn't feel like a business as usual year. Both Snead and McVay are on record saying they don't view this as a down year. I'm on record saying I agree.
My point wasn’t to attack your take on QBs. Your post just reminded me how bad the backup QB situation was and everyone but the Rams knew it.

I hope they actually take a guy that they feel has the intelligence and arm talent to run McVays offense, if needed. That may take using the third or fourth round pick. It’s not likely that they get lucky and find a guy like Romo, who was a UDFA, or Brady in the late rounds.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Purdy seems like a good and nice kid, but I don't believe he'll be any better than jimmy g without the #1 defense behind him and being able to play "close to the vest" offense.

Any older Ram's fans recall how this worked for the Rams in the 1970's?

I sure as fuck do remember that. The whole reason I can't fucking stand the mantra "defense wins championships" is because of the 1970's Rams, a team that was great across the board except at one position - the most critical one. And one that never won a championship because of that.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

That’s the first I heard that.

Brock Purdy Says He's "Not Really Sure" if He Will Play in 2023​

Talk about burying the lede.

Brock Purdy recently did an interview with Yahoo! Sports, which reported that he no longer is wearing a brace on his surgically-repaired throwing arm. Meaning his recovery is going well. That's what the story is about.

But in the seventh paragraph, the author drops this bombshell: "That remains an early step in recovery, Purdy saying Friday he's 'not really sure, honestly' whether he'll play in 2023 as he takes it 'one day at a time.'

Stop the presses.

That's the big news from his most recent interview -- the fact that he doesn't know if he'll play next season. Not the fact that his brace is off. We knew his brace would come off. We did NOT know he might sit out all season. He is the first person on the 49ers to say that publicly.

At the NFL's annual meetings in a Arizona recently, 49ers general manager John Lynch said the hope is that Purdy will be fully ready for training camp, while head coach Kyle Shanahan said there's a possibility Purdy won't be ready until Week 4. So they didn't have their story straight.

It seems plausible that the 49ers know Purdy could miss the entire season and simply don't want the rest of the league to know that yet. Because if Purdy misses the whole year, then the 49ers have to draft a quarterback, possibly as early as Round 3, and they probably wouldn't want to broadcast their intentions to the rest of the world.

From Purdy's perspective, there's absolutely no reason to rush back. He already has proven he can play at a high level in the NFL -- someone will pay him big bucks eventually if he makes a full recovery. That should be his No. 1 focus -- making a full recovery.

And if he's as special as John Lynch says he is, then the 49ers should want to buy as much time for him to recover as possible, because he could be their franchise quarterback for a decade or more.

If the 49ers draft a quarterback between Rounds 3 and 5 next week, that could indicate they expect Purdy to miss significant time.

Stay tuned.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah Cohn isn't very popular with Niner fans because he's in their mind overly negative but he's apparently plugged in to the team.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think now we know why they signed Sam Darnold when they have Lance and Purdy on the roster. They don't know if Purdy. And they don't if Lance will be ready to be a starting quarterback.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
I suspected that the Rams were getting better in 1998. I thought how are we losing to these ass wipes when we have better talent? Kurt Warner was the missing piece. Drafting Torry Holt didn't hurt.
You mean Tony Banks wasn't the guy?

I don't remember which documentary it was but I recall hearing D'Marco Farr talking about '99 and specifically mentioning how much better they'd been in '98 relatively speaking. They were ready to make the jump and Warner was the key piece b/c he played the single-most important position on the field.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
I’ve learned over the years to hate everything associated with the 69ers. Don’t ever feel sorry for them or their fans when they suck because they quickly turn into the biggest pos asshats when things go well for them. Only Pats fans rival 69er fans as biggest douches.
In a just universe the Niners wouldn't win another game until 2356...