St. Louis Rams: Bringing Back Bradford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
All the losses during his tenure weren't his fault alone, but he definitely had a role in them.

If people want to give Bradford all of the credit for the wins he participated in (and there are a bunch out there), they should be prepared for him to take some blame for losses as well.
Who is giving Bradford ALL the credit for wins he's participated in?

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
The first one the protection broke down and Bradford had to scramble, a clean pocket and it never happen.

The second one J Long was not ready to play, he wiffed on the block and the guy fell into Bradford's leg hyper extending it. A healthy LOT at least gets a shot on the DE and a half decent one rides that guy around and passed Bradford. If they wanted to play Long they should have waited until Bradford was out of there before giving Long his first game action.

Fixing the O line (Hello Coach Bou) and keeping Bradford clean is the answer and has been the answer for years.

I'm not sure it's possible to put together an OLine so good that the QB never has to scramble out of the pocket.
Again, I don't think you can put that first ACL injury on the line.

On the second injury I agree that Jake Long blew it, but at the same time it's not like the defender hit Bradford running full speed. He really didn't hit him at all, he grabbed at him and the fell backwards when Bradford locked his knees to avoid going down.
I don't know if it would be possible for a line to prevent the QB getting tugged at or pressured some times.

If Bradford needs the OLine to play at a level where he never has to move to avoid defenders to reach his full potential he and the Rams may both be in trouble.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Who is giving Bradford ALL the credit for wins he's participated in?

I'll rephrase because I don't remember the poster for every "Bradford is the Rams" post and can't provide examples for you here.

If you feel Bradford is largely responsible for the Rams victories then don't get mad if somebody suggests he's also largely responsible for the Rams losses.

Last edited:

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
All the losses during his tenure weren't his fault alone, but he definitely had a role in them.

If people want to give Bradford all of the credit for the wins he participated in (and there are a bunch out there), they should be prepared for him to take some blame for losses as well.
Actually I believe quarterbacks get too much credit for wins and losses.What I liked about the SF game is everybody played their part in the win.I wish it could be like that going forward.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Actually I believe quarterbacks get too much credit for wins and losses.What I liked about the SF game is everybody played their part in the win.I wish it could be like that going forward.

I agree with you that QBs tend to get too much credit/blame for results sometimes.
Granted every QB has great or terrible games, but they usually fall somewhere in the middle.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
I'm not sure it's possible to put together an OLine so good that the QB never has to scramble out of the pocket.
Again, I don't think you can put that first ACL injury on the line.

On the second injury I agree that Jake Long blew it, but at the same time it's not like the defender hit Bradford running full speed. He really didn't hit him at all, he grabbed at him and the fell backwards when Bradford locked his knees to avoid going down.
I don't know if it would be possible for a line to prevent the QB getting tugged at or pressured some times.

If Bradford needs the OLine to play at a level where he never has to move to avoid defenders to reach his full potential he and the Rams may both be in trouble.
I have to say,the line played reasonably well in 2010&2012 and he didn't get injured but you could see in preseason that it was shaky.I really don't understand why Fisher refuses to let the line gel in preseason.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Sure.Any player can get an torn ACL but that sure doesn't mean he's injury-prone.

I'd agree if Bradford hadn't injured the same knee two years in a row, and hadn't had several injuries in the past (college and NFL) that caused him to miss time as well.

It doesn't mean he's not talented, he's just not very reliable (just my opinion).

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'd agree if Bradford hadn't injured the same knee two years in a row, and hadn't had several injuries in the past (college and NFL) that caused him to miss time as well.

It doesn't mean he's not talented, he's just not very reliable (just my opinion).

Talented at the college level, but in the NFL he's been just a middle of the pack QB.

Factor in the injuries and the fact that his cap hit next year is painful and it makes no sense to keep him on the roster. It's irresponsible because you can get two top flight starters, and one of them could even be a pro bowl type player, for the money going to Bradford. If Bradford was kicking ass these last couple of years I'd feel differently even with a potentially fragile knee. But he's been average in every way other than his arm strength and most every QB guru will tell you that's way over rated.

Right now Austin Davis is putting up better overall production than Bradford has, yes he has had a couple of bad games but Bradford and most QB's do the same thing against top 5 defenses. And Davis is doing it without Quick and for a couple of weeks with bad OL play.

IMO keeping Bradford makes the least sense unless Davis completely shits the bed for the rest of the year. If he has a couple more rough games that's fine, I think any first year starter will have a handful of games where he stinks.

I know he is a great guy, and a fan favorite, but right now he represents a massive gamble that Fisher and Snead would be foolish to take.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
Talented at the college level, but in the NFL he's been just a middle of the pack QB.

Factor in the injuries and the fact that his cap hit next year is painful and it makes no sense to keep him on the roster. It's irresponsible because you can get two top flight starters, and one of them could even be a pro bowl type player, for the money going to Bradford. If Bradford was kicking ass these last couple of years I'd feel differently even with a potentially fragile knee. But he's been average in every way other than his arm strength and most every QB guru will tell you that's way over rated.

Right now Austin Davis is putting up better overall production than Bradford has, yes he has had a couple of bad games but Bradford and most QB's do the same thing against top 5 defenses. And Davis is doing it without Quick and for a couple of weeks with bad OL play.

IMO keeping Bradford makes the least sense unless Davis completely shits the bed for the rest of the year. If he has a couple more rough games that's fine, I think any first year starter will have a handful of games where he stinks.

I know he is a great guy, and a fan favorite, but right now he represents a massive gamble that Fisher and Snead would be foolish to take.
As Fisher said,Bradford's supporting cast hasn't been good however Davis has had a better supporting cast.Watch how he performs with a better supporting cast than you can have a better measuring stick.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I definitely want Bradford back and I believe he will be the starter next season.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
As Fisher said,Bradford's supporting cast hasn't been good however Davis has had a better supporting cast.Watch how he performs with a better supporting cast than you can have a better measuring stick.

If I was Fisher and Snead I'm thinking I'm not willing to take the time, or spend the money, or take the risk of another injury, or slow down the rebuild by keeping Bradford unless he is taking a HUGE pay cut and by that I mean I'd offer him a backup level contract. And I'm keeping Davis on the roster if I get Bradford to take that huge pay cut just to hedge the bet. Then I'm using the 12-13 million left over to go get 2-3 players to move the rebuild forward.

Doing anything else is totally irresponsible as a guy who is paid to build and maintain a roster. Snead and Fisher seem to smart and calculating to risk the work they have done, and potentially their jobs, to move forward with Bradford and his contract.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The NFL morning show were talking about landing places for Johnny FBall, and the Rams came up. Strahan answered something to the effect that we all believe that Sam is talented, and will be back with the Rams.

UCLA's line has been abysmal, not just not good. It really hurt Hundley this year. Yesterday, you finally got to see when they still weren't good, but played better than most games this year. Hundley was 29 for 37 with 2 TD's in the air, over 300 yds, and 2 TD's on the ground rushing. He had another throwing TD, on a fade, taken away on a horrific call, where they thought the WR pushed off, replays clearly showed he didn't. Brett worked with Philip Rivers, the Mannings, and Tim Tebow, for leadership advice, in the offseason. He has the thirst to be the best. He just broke UCLA's all-time TD record...70, and still going.

He's been working in the pocket better the last few weeks, but sometimes he gets pressured before he's set to throw. He's tough, been sacked more than any other college QB over the last three years. He's been sacked over 110 times. Let that digest a little. Of all those sacks, he's probably gotten out of a lot more, he's strong, and doesn't go down easy. He's taken a little more than he would have, because he dislocated his elbow, he played the next game, with had a huge brace on his non-throwing elbow. Yesterday, was the first game without it. He will hold the ball too long at times, his mechanics, with his feet, are not perfect, but not bad either. His throwing motion is quick, and compact. In comparison, the Rams OL is light years better than UCLA's.

Biggest knock, is that he will tuck and run at first pressure, but he has improved on that, and I think the hurt elbow may have forced him to do that.

He has a plus arm, and is extremely accurate on short/swing, to intermediate throws. He can throw with touch, and he can gun it. He's pretty accurate on deep throws, but not dead accurate on every long throw. IMO, this is attributed to the fact that UCLA plays, just about, everybody on their roster, including 6, or more different receivers in a single game. He's a quiet, even keeled QB, it's hard to rattle him, even after getting sacked multiple times in a game, or when a player makes a huge mistake at a critical time.

I don't think he's a game one ready QB in the NFL, but I believe he has a ton of upside, and the type of kid that can handle a franchise title, with smarts, and class.

Bradford, Hundley, and Davis. Sounds good to me.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The NFL morning show were talking about landing places for Johnny FBall, and the Rams came up. Strahan answered something to the effect that we all believe that Sam is talented, and will be back with the Rams.

UCLA's line has been abysmal, not just not good. It really hurt Hundley this year. Yesterday, you finally got to see when they still weren't good, but played better than most games this year. Hundley was 29 for 37 with 2 TD's in the air, over 300 yds, and 2 TD's on the ground rushing. He had another throwing TD, on a fade, taken away on a horrific call, where they thought the WR pushed off, replays clearly showed he didn't. Brett worked with Philip Rivers, the Mannings, and Tim Tebow, for leadership advice, in the offseason. He has the thirst to be the best. He just broke UCLA's all-time TD record...70, and still going.

He's been working in the pocket better the last few weeks, but sometimes he gets pressured before he's set to throw. He's tough, been sacked more than any other college QB over the last three years. He's been sacked over 110 times. Let that digest a little. Of all those sacks, he's probably gotten out of a lot more, he's strong, and doesn't go down easy. He's taken a little more than he would have, because he dislocated his elbow, he played the next game, with had a huge brace on his non-throwing elbow. Yesterday, was the first game without it. He will hold the ball too long at times, his mechanics, with his feet, are not perfect, but not bad either. His throwing motion is quick, and compact. In comparison, the Rams OL is light years better than UCLA's.

Biggest knock, is that he will tuck and run at first pressure, but he has improved on that, and I think the hurt elbow may have forced him to do that.

He has a plus arm, and is extremely accurate on short/swing, to intermediate throws. He can throw with touch, and he can gun it. He's pretty accurate on deep throws, but not dead accurate on every long throw. IMO, this is attributed to the fact that UCLA plays, just about, everybody on their roster, including 6, or more different receivers in a single game. He's a quiet, even keeled QB, it's hard to rattle him, even after getting sacked multiple times in a game, or when a player makes a huge mistake at a critical time.

I don't think he's a game one ready QB in the NFL, but I believe he has a ton of upside, and the type of kid that can handle a franchise title, with smarts, and class.

Bradford, Hundley, and Davis. Sounds good to me.

Why in the world were they talking about landing places for Manziel? That's a waste of time.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
If I was Fisher and Snead I'm thinking I'm not willing to take the time, or spend the money, or take the risk of another injury, or slow down the rebuild by keeping Bradford unless he is taking a HUGE pay cut and by that I mean I'd offer him a backup level contract. And I'm keeping Davis on the roster if I get Bradford to take that huge pay cut just to hedge the bet. Then I'm using the 12-13 million left over to go get 2-3 players to move the rebuild forward.

Doing anything else is totally irresponsible as a guy who is paid to build and maintain a roster. Snead and Fisher seem to smart and calculating to risk the work they have done, and potentially their jobs, to move forward with Bradford and his contract.
And my answer to that is one name.Matthew Stafford.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
All I know is we're on the inside of the Playoff spectrum rather than the outside looking in with Sam.