Simms QB Countdown - #5 Matthew Stafford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Just off the cuff, type out my top 10 right now without thinking I'd go...

1. Mahomes
2. Stafford
3. Burrow
4. Stroud
5. Goff
6. Allen
7. Jackson
8. Prescott
9. Herbert
10. Purdy
One good year doesn't put you in the top 5. Allen belongs in Strouds place. Allen carries his team. Stroud needs another year under his belt before he gets anointed. Purdy isn't top 10. If Burrow can be 3rd with a lost year then Cousins can be 10.

Psycho_X

Legend
One good year doesn't put you in the top 5. Allen belongs in Strouds place. Allen carries his team. Stroud needs another year under his belt before he gets anointed. Purdy isn't top 10. If Burrow can be 3rd with a lost year then Cousins can be 10.
I bounced between Cousins and Purdy at 10. Purdy on any other team I wouldn't have him in top 15 but in his current situation he has to be considered unfortunately. Stroud is based on potential at this point and youth but I wouldn't argue them being switched.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Just off the cuff, type out my top 10 right now without thinking I'd go...

1. Mahomes
2. Stafford
3. Burrow
4. Stroud
5. Goff
6. Allen
7. Jackson
8. Prescott
9. Herbert
10. Purdy
Couldn't you have just done a top 9?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
You're saying it - not me

giphy.gif

Tano

Legend
So was I

My point though is that every QB needs a lot of things to go his way to make it to the Super Bowl

Goff was able to make it to the Championship game with a so so defense and only a great WR and Very Good rookie TE and a very good OL protection. His other receivers weren't that great. I mean Reynolds was his number 2 receiver and the other receiver was a second year player that still hasn't really displayed anything special.

I will admit he had a very good run game too.

But still - scoring 31 points against SF defense is pretty damn good. And they could have scored more if the damn coach would have kicked FGs. Give him some credit.

I mean Mahomes only scored 19 points off that very same defense in regulation

They should have won that game with even just an average defense. I mean 1 ball being completed off the defender's damn helmet for gawd sake plus 2 easy drops by the secondary. Ouch.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Saw this ranking & have to question it.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with most of it, but Russell Wilson being on here, ahead of Warner, is laughable. How do Staffords numbers stack up against Wussell's?? Stafford belongs on here, Wilson does not.

Edit: Looked up their career stats and it's closer than I would have thought. Difference between them is one had a great team around him and an all world defense that got him a ring.

We all saw what happened when Wussell had a chance to win a SB with his arm vs what Stafford had to overcome to win his...

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hard to understand why Stafford isn’t on that Top 50 list.

I guess he has to stay a couple more years to get there ?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Hard to understand why Stafford isn’t on that Top 50 list.

I guess he has to stay a couple more years to get there ?
He's been in the league 2 years longer than Wilson. Makes no sense.

The more I look at that list the more confusing it gets. There are plenty of QB's on that list that never made it to, much less won a SB. Stafford is criminally undervalued here.

I mean.... Dave fucking Krieg??? Get fucked whomever made that list, haha.

Last edited:

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
While it’s good to see Roman Gabriel get some recognition, the omission of Norm Van Brocklin from that Top 50 list is criminal. “The Dutchman” won NFL Championships with two different franchises and still holds the record for the most passing yards in a single game.

There are plenty of guys on that list whose career records don’t compare.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Personally I rank QBs based on how well they can win from the pocket. Because the pocket is where the protection is. If you make your living outside the pocket at this level you're on borrowed time. Certainly you are unlikely to make it to that hallowed ground of late 30s QBs who have full mastery of the position from many years of seasoning. I think being able to win from the pocket is a base level requirement for that to be an expectation.

And by extension how many can win from the pocket without a run game. When a defense is dropping its ILBs and pinning their ears back. The answer is not many of these guys.

There's a whole bunch of QBs nowadays who require run games or who are their run games. The latter can be quite good too, but they don't generally last. It's a subjective thing to rank QBs. Nobody has all the answers. But I think the pros should start with that question of who wins from the pocket and can do it in big games with no run support. Which means Stafford is up there on my list.

Of course father time is undefeated. And Stafford has hard miles. So I do think the Rams will be taking a QB earlier vice later in one of the next couple drafts, and that may irritate Stafford but the team has to insulate themselves against him falling off a cliff.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Its all subjective. Personal opinions. And bias. Everyone has a certain amount of bias. I do agree with Simms that Stafford is the best quarterback in the NFC. I've been saying it for a while. If you have two minutes left. Down 4 points. A field goal won't be enough. I'd pick Stafford to lead that drive over Love, Prescott, Hurts and Purdy.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Just what I needed, another "ranking" based on somebody's vague impressions with no stated criteria.

I don't know man. If we can't rely on the historical football knowledge and expertise of Yona Weissman Fabra (the author of this article) in the highly-regarded football source Gadget Review (name of this site/publication) ... then Who and What the hell can we rely on!?!?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mean.... Dave fucking Krieg??? Get fucked whomever made that list, haha

What do Dave Krieg and Billy Graham have in common?

They're the only two men who can get 50,000 to yell "Oh My God" on a Sunday.