Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And yet, there we were...we all saw the scoreboard: Rams 13 TB 9 with 48 seconds to go.

And yes, the defense failed on the one possession. That just happened to be the game-deciding possession.
Only because the offense failed on all the previous “game-deciding possessions”,

Including the one immediately ahead of the one you’re referring to.

The entire game matters.

And the defense significantly outperformed the offense over 60 minutes.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Only because the offense failed on all the previous “game-deciding possessions”,

Including the one immediately ahead of the one you’re referring to.

The entire game matters.

And the defense significantly outperformed the offense over 60 minutes.

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Can we get a judge's ruling on the definition of "game-deciding,"...

Tano

Legend
Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Can we get a judge's ruling on the definition of "game-deciding,"...
I would give up.

He will just keep going back to the offense caused that loss even though we have admitted that the offense was 95% the problem.

But even as bad as the offense was, we still had a lead with 48 seconds to go and then Morris decided to make his soft zone defense even softer by having players 15 yards back instead of 10. That blew my mind.

Turducken

Starter
Well, shit.

If we didn't know this BEFORE they took the field we have a whole fucking other set of issues...

wth?
Morris knew that his scheme had prevented a TD in every previous drive (all twelve of them) and he stuck with it. If we only had a two point lead, I expect he would have played tight and blitzed, because a FG would end the game.

With a four point lead, it may have been the best call under the circumstances (based on all the available information). Neither of us really know, but second guessing play calls is a masturbatory sport for those of us in the cheap seats. We all do it.

Stroke away!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Lol..
Well.. then the offense should've adjusted, shouldn't they? Since they're the ones who were unsuccessful the entire 4th quarter?

And.. again.. when you look at the drive chart for the 4th.. if you don't think that fatigue plays a role at some point, I don't know what to say.
I am not making excuses for the offense. Why is it so hard for you to not have to pit the offense against the defense? Are you 2 yrs old?

The offense needs to be blown up. I don't think anyone here is saying otherwise. However the defense also pissed away a day's worth of great effort by playing a horrible scheme in those last 45 seconds.

Tano

Legend
Morris knew that his scheme had prevented a TD in every previous drive (all twelve of them) and he stuck with it. If we only had a two point lead, I expect he would have played tight and blitzed, because a FG would end the game.

With a four point lead, it may have been the best call under the circumstances (based on all the available information). Neither of us really know, but second guessing play calls is a masturbatory sport for those of us in the cheap seats. We all do it.

Stroke away!
The thing is he went 100% soft zone scheme in the 4th quarter whereas he did a mix of press and soft zone in the first 3 quarters.

And it worked in the first 3 quarters.

Going soft zone meant Brady had easy 5 to 10 yard passes on each play and he took advantage of it until he reached the Rams 20 yard line. That's when the Rams stiffened up because if they played soft zone in the red zone, they would be lining up in the end zone.

TexasRam

Legend

Stroke away!

Before Bradys first pass with 44 seconds to play and 60 yards to go with zero timeouts, Romo is heard saying you need sideline passes and a deep pass. You would think Raheem had some situational awareness have his guys cover the deep middle and sidelines. Same thing dungy pointed out. The defense completely played it wrong. They gave up both the deep middle and also the sideline multiple times. Then a pass interference and losing outside contain at the goaline due to a run fake.

Dungy pointed to scheme failure which is obvious for those that have ever seen this scenario at the end of the game. Montana used to run it to perfection and it’s been copied ever since the 1980’s.

Morris predictable soft zone scheme can work against most teams when our offense is scoring 30 per game, but it’s a train wreck right now and it should Never ever be used in that end of game scenario we just saw… 60 yards to go, 44 seconds and no timeouts.

That is the problem with Morris. He is sooooo slow to adjust his defense to opponent and scenario. And it happened twice in this game but we were lucky the first time the TD was dropped.

Don’t get me wrong the offense separately needs to be fixed but Morris scheme and inability to think on his feet is bad. It only works when you have a completely stacked defense such as the end of last year when 4 first ballot hall of famers could overcome his scheme.

This is not to say Kendrick isn’t a problem either. I think we all concede that the rookie isn’t helping either. He is getting destroyed weekly now.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I am not making excuses for the offense. Why is it so hard for you to not have to pit the offense against the defense? Are you 2 yrs old?

The offense needs to be blown up. I don't think anyone here is saying otherwise. However the defense also pissed away a day's worth of great effort by playing a horrible scheme in those last 45 seconds.
Here’s what I’m pushing back against… people saying the defense & scheme failed on Sunday and are responsible for the loss.
That’s bullshit.
I’ll put it another way.. while you will absolutely spend time breaking down the last drive and figuring out what the fuck happened there.. you’re not doing much hand wringing and you’re not making big changes.
The defense is producing at a top 10 level for the season.
Given the personnel losses.. that’s DAMN good.

The offense? Literally nothing, except for Cooper Kupp, is working.

I get why it’s hard to take. Recency bias, aesthetics, etc…
But I look at the totality and the entire performance of the TEAM… and the overwhelming conclusion from watching that game (twice), is that the offense is why they lost the game.

Tano

Legend
Ok I had to review the deep middle and what the heck was Ramsey and Rapp doing on this play

1667945288706.png

1667945354029.png

Tano

Legend
And then the next play - no one even remotely close to the guy close to the line of scrimmage

1667945545369.png

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Where are all the Offense sucks threads? We’ve got multiple week to week defense sucks threads. I see one Bobby Evans punching bag thread and a we had a weird Stafford thread that died out for good reason.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Where are all the Offense sucks threads? We’ve got multiple week to week defense sucks threads. I see one Bobby Evans punching bag thread and a we had a weird Stafford thread that died out for good reason.
The team is playing shit football. Offense sucks, defense can't close out games at the end to save our historically bad offense...it's just a bad combination of this thats leading to these losses.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
A reason, yes.
If you’re going to work to solve the team’s problems today… what does your workload look like? How much time/effort are you devoting to different problems, understanding you don’t have infinite time?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The team is playing shit football. Offense sucks, defense can't close out games at the end to save our historically bad offense...it's just a bad combination of this thats leading to these losses.
Yeah, I know why we’re 3-5, just puzzled a bit by the board focus.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
If you’re going to work to solve the team’s problems today… what does your workload look like? How much time/effort are you devoting to different problems, understanding you don’t have infinite time?
This has never been about which side of the ball is the worst. You and the Morris defenders seem to always make it that. And all of us who don't like the D scheme keep telling you that we know the O is the worst of the 2 sides. It is why we expect more from the D. It is because we need them to do more to make up for the # 8 and 9 guy on the Oline. But hey, if your okay with the coaching effort. If your ok with the last drive by tampa, fine. Remember this, though, McVay has relied on the D to close out most of the close games. He calls 3 running plays that get us no 1st downs to make the other team use their time outs and punts it and expects his D to close it out. He has been doing that since he has been here.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
This has never been about which side of the ball is the worst. You and the Morris defenders seem to always make it that. And all of us who don't like the D scheme keep telling you that we know the O is the worst of the 2 sides. It is why we expect more from the D. It is because we need them to do more to make up for the # 8 and 9 guy on the Oline. But hey, if your okay with the coaching effort. If your ok with the last drive by tampa, fine. Remember this, though, McVay has relied on the D to close out most of the close games. He calls 3 running plays that get us no 1st downs to make the other team use their time outs and punts it and expects his D to close it out. He has been doing that since he has been here.
The D has injuries too and lost key personnel in the offseason.

You’ll notice I’m not calling out McVay for playcalling on one series. The offense couldn’t get a single first down in the 4th.

The D did its job.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
The D has injuries too and lost key personnel in the offseason.

You’ll notice I’m not calling out McVay for playcalling on one series. The offense couldn’t get a single first down in the 4th.

The D did its job.
hmm

fearsomefour

Legend
The D scheme was designed to work with an offense that was rightfully expected to be good. Didn't have to be a top 3 offense, but, a good, solid McVay offense that puts up high 20's to low 30's points a game.
That eats clock and take pressure off the D.
The bend but don't break D is a great fit for a good O and it makes sense.
The issue is, of course, the offense has been terrible.
The defense has actually played excellently given the lack of help from the offense.
Hard to change to an attacking scheme mid flow....also, a couple big plays for scores a game would basically doom the game.