R.I.P Deacon Jones

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I thought I'd copy and paste this here, I posted it on the Herd this morning.
----------------------------------------

Deacon was more than just an all time great football player. He was one of the most entertaining and engaging interviews I have ever seen in my life, he just had a presence that was unrivaled and his brash and honest personality was always a hoot to watch and listen too. I can't recall an interview where afterwards I didn't think to myself "that was really a fun listen", always informative and the stories he told were always killer.

Sad day today for his family and for ours.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
LesBaker said:
I thought I'd copy and paste this here, I posted it on the Herd this morning.
----------------------------------------

Deacon was more than just an all time great football player. He was one of the most entertaining and engaging interviews I have ever seen in my life, he just had a presence that was unrivaled and his brash and honest personality was always a hoot to watch and listen too. I can't recall an interview where afterwards I didn't think to myself "that was really a fun listen", always informative and the stories he told were always killer.

Sad day today for his family and for ours.

Yup a guy who was ALWAYS larger than life

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Passing of a legend.

RIP Deacon one of the original Rams.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
One of my all time favorite Rams players. And the straightest shooter that ever spoke of the game. Rest in peace Mr. Jones. You will be sorely missed.

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
What can be said about this man besides he was one hell of a football player & we need more players like him on the RAMS. R.I.P. Deacon Jones you are sorely missed.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Sad day for Ram Nation. He was a One-of-a-Kind.

My oldest son called me a few hours ago to let me know that he's wearing his throwback blue & white Deacon jersey today.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Selassie I said:
Sad day for Ram Nation. He was a One-of-a-Kind.

My oldest son called me a few hours ago to let me know that he's wearing his throwback blue & white Deacon jersey today.

Very cool man.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
The Deacon

"When I see guys huddling up after the game, to pray, that's what scares me about the game. I'm a Baptist, but I'm also a quarterback killer, and I ain't praying with you. But I will give you 30 seconds to ask your Lord and master to keep me from killing you." -- Hall of Fame defensive end "Deacon" Jones on what aspect of the modern game most upsets him.

Ram_of_Old

This bought back many great memories.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-diego-chargers/0ap2000000208877/NFL-Films-remembers-Deacon-Jones" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-diego-cha ... acon-Jones</a>

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
EastRam said:
The Deacon

"When I see guys huddling up after the game, to pray, that's what scares me about the game. I'm a Baptist, but I'm also a quarterback killer, and I ain't praying with you. But I will give you 30 seconds to ask your Lord and master to keep me from killing you." -- Hall of Fame defensive end "Deacon" Jones on what aspect of the modern game most upsets him.

God Bless him for that. I understand exactly how he felt there. His complete honesty was almost my favorite part of Deacon.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This was a very tough day for me Gentlemen because I loved this man and he's the reason I root for the horns. This was a great man in more ways than one and I am just happy that I was fortunate enough to have met him on two occasions.

A great man on the field and even greater off the field if that was even possible. I donned my Jones throwback jersey on the way to work and on the way home. Deacon said it best.... "Ray Charles was born to sing the blues and I was born to rush the Quarterback!"
Jones_Deacon_Action_180-220.jpg

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Deacon was a little before my time as I started following the Rams in 74' when I was about 8 or 9 years old, but my Dad would always tell me how great he was and of course NFL Films captured that for all of us to see.

Over the years all Ram fans took pride in the fact that this bigger than life legend was ours and only ours and his legacy was and still is a huge part of what makes this a special franchise. Not to mention the Fearsome Foursome and what that entire group meant. Heck, before the Rams won their SB, the Fearsome Foursome and of course Deacon Jones were really one of the biggest highlights of the Franchise's history. That unit and the high scoring Rams of the 50's were the face of Rams history.

So the passing of this Ram icon is sad, but I am glad to see the attention his passing is getting on the various sports networks. Even on Philly sports radio he was discussed quite a bit today, which is saying something consideting this city rarely discusses anything sports related regarding teams outside of Philly or the NFC East.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yep, tough day, den. I don't think anyone was really prepared for this, as Deacon seemed indestructible.

@PhillyRam - Welcome to the show, brother. I was hoping you were gonna show up. :ww:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
Yep, tough day, den. I don't think anyone was really prepared for this, as Deacon seemed indestructible.

@PhillyRam - Welcome to the show, brother. I was hoping you were gonna show up.
:ww:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhyMvQ_N7Zc[/youtube]

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I probably won't post a lot until camp starts as I got a lot of things going on right now, but the site is impressive and it looks like a good place to talk about a team that I have been addicted to for nearly 40 years. Thanks for putting it together for all of us.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
PhillyRam said:
I probably won't post a lot until camp starts as I got a lot of things going on right now, but the site is impressive and it looks like a good place to talk about a team that I have been addicted to for nearly 40 years. Thanks for putting it together for all of us.
That's cool, man. Whenever you get the chance - stop on in.
And ... you're welcome. I don't know if you're using "The Huddle" skin, but it's there if you want it.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
PhillyRam joined in the fun:

I'll just add my welcome too. It's an oasis that's for sure.
Gives me a chance to trot out more Smileys too. :lol:
:ja: :dancin: :notworthy:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I saw him play in person a couple times when I was a child. He might be the main reason I became a Ram fan.
I wore his number in High school even though I was a QB / LB.
He was the greatest Ram.