Pick #57 - Rams select WR Tutu Atwell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I am ready to move on from Tutu. A bit of a wasted pick, but it happens. He hasn't exactly had too many targets to judge on. But I feel that is in large part due to how limited he is as a WR.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Give me Whittington over Chatarius Atwell any day and especially Sundays.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One of the more disappointing picks under McVay. The dude does have ability to separate and track the ball. But he just doesn't translate often enough so relying on him is usually the offense stalling out.

That drop he had really pissed me off btw. These guys who consistently tease and end up disappointing need to make way for guys we can count on.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Tutu was a high draft pick so he should be able to fix our LT problem or maybe he could start on the D line.
That probably should have been in blue but I'm not sure it's for sarcasm.

LOURam85

Rookie
One of the more disappointing picks under McVay. The dude does have ability to separate and track the ball. But he just doesn't translate often enough so relying on him is usually the offense stalling out.

That drop he had really pissed me off btw. These guys who consistently tease and end up disappointing need to make way for guys we can count on.
U might think it’s my fandom but I think it’s Mcvay holding him back u don’t see Mcvay trying to get him ball in space…. No receivers besides kupp and puka have had major success under Mcvay he dropped one pass today besides kupp he looked like the best wr today

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
U might think it’s my fandom but I think it’s Mcvay holding him back u don’t see Mcvay trying to get him ball in space…. No receivers besides kupp and puka have had major success under Mcvay he dropped one pass today besides kupp he looked like the best wr today
We'll see. He will end up moving on and if it is McVay holding him back then he'll be a revelation for some other team.

But I think in the end the posters who were concerned with his frailness in the pattern (@jrry32 for example) were correct about him. Also McVay hasn't shown a tendency to be wrong with WRs when he deals them or lets them go.

LOURam85

Rookie
We'll see. He will end up moving on and if it is McVay holding him back then he'll be a revelation for some other team.

But I think in the end the posters who were concerned with his frailness in the pattern (@jrry32 for example) were correct about him. Also McVay hasn't shown a tendency to be wrong with WRs when he deals them or lets them go.
The only receivers that really stood out around Mcvay is kupp and puka …. Cooks was ok ….. Watson was ok … Mcvay has his type then run them into the ground

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I feel like I’m the only one who likes TuTu. I have no idea how he looked so good against Seattle week 1 last year and then we just NEVER saw him targeted like that again. He clearly has the ability. Why the fuck did we draft him?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
TuTu gets a lot of flack but we have missed on players since. TuTu still can succeed in this league and will likely be gone and getting more snaps somewhere else once his contract expires or he gets traded.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Regarding Tutu. I don't get why McVay doesn't seem to scheme opportunities for him. He never seemed to fit in the 11 personnel all day every day offense McVay wants.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I feel like I’m the only one who likes TuTu. I have no idea how he looked so good against Seattle week 1 last year and then we just NEVER saw him targeted like that again. He clearly has the ability. Why the fuck did we draft him?

I like him.
I think anyone being objective while looking at his time here has to admit he's performed like a mid 2nd round WR when he's gotten his opportunities. I think he's been under-utilized by McVay and his reputation here owes a lot to personal bias. It's worse than his play on the field actually merits. Too many decided what he was before he ever put on a helmet with horns.
Those who never liked him never will. They don't pay attention to his performance, all they see is his name and measurables.

It doesn't help he only sees the field when Kupp is out and our offense is stalling anyways. If he's in the game at all, it means it's been a shitty day. That doesn't help his cause any.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only receivers that really stood out around Mcvay is kupp and puka …. Cooks was ok ….. Watson was ok … Mcvay has his type then run them into the ground
Cooks was excellent until he fell out from the injuries and concussion BS. Kupp won a triple crown and Super Bowl. Woods was a nobody until McVay got a hold of him, in fact that cheap ass contract we signed him to was cited as an overpay at the time by the media "experts." OBJ was a fucking revelation for his brief window in this offense and would have been Super Bowl MVP had that knee not given out.

I think part of the problem with McVay is he has not had true talent at wideout. OBJ is the one guy who is a legit outside the hash threat to stretch the field. Tutu is a slot or Z at best who has not been good enough to hold onto that role with this team.

Also and btw QB always factors in on its own as well to some extent on this stuff. Stafford is a gunslinger and likes to put the ball on guys and give them a chance, which doesn't jive with small wideouts. So I think if they draft another WR while he's QB it would be wise to select guys with some size or range or maybe most importantly a serious dog mentality. The types who will get after that ball in the air aggressively and win. Sometimes small guys do that but those are very rare.

Last edited:

LOURam85

Rookie
Cooks was excellent until he fell out from the injuries and concussion BS. Kupp won a triple crown and Super Bowl. Woods was a nobody until McVay got a hold of him, in fact that cheap ass contract we signed him to was cited as an overpay at the time by the media "experts." OBJ was a fucking revelation for his brief window in this offense and would have been Super Bowl MVP had that knee not given out.

I think part of the problem with McVay is he has not had true talent at wideout. OBJ is the one guy who is a legit outside the hash threat to stretch the field. Tutu is a slot or Z at best who has not been good enough to hold onto that role with this team.

Also and btw QB always factors in on its own as well to some extent on this stuff. Stafford is a gunslinger and likes to put the ball on guys and give them a chance, which doesn't jive with small wideouts. So I think if they draft another WR while he's QB it would be wise to select guys with some size or range or maybe most importantly a serious dog mentality. The types who will get after that ball in the air aggressively and win. Sometimes small guys do that but those are very rare.

They need a top end wr so I see why they wanted mike evans and even courtland Sutton…. I think tutu not being able to be as good a blocker is what keeps him off the field

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They need a top end wr so I see why they wanted mike evans and even courtland Sutton…. I think tutu not being able to be as good a blocker is what keeps him off the field
I'm pissed they didn't get that done tbh. Evans would have been incredible with Kupp & Puka. Hurts to think about. Stafford would put that ball on him down that sideline left and right with good results.

Blocking certainly factors in with Tutu. But it's more than just that. Physicality in the pattern matters in the NFL. I was watching the Jets defense today fucking mugging wideouts with no calls. It's crazy how much DBs get away with, and that really hurts the little dudes.

LOURam85

Rookie
I'm pissed they didn't get that done tbh. Evans would have been incredible with Kupp & Puka. Hurts to think about. Stafford would put that ball on him down that sideline left and right with good results.

Blocking certainly factors in with Tutu. But it's more than just that. Physicality in the pattern matters in the NFL. I was watching the Jets defense today fucking mugging wideouts with no calls. It's crazy how much DBs get away with, and that really hurts the little dudes.
Yea but there’s ways to get around that by sending him in motion … I don’t see Mcvay using him like I see other teams use small receivers

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I like him.
I think anyone being objective while looking at his time here has to admit he's performed like a mid 2nd round WR when he's gotten his opportunities. I think he's been under-utilized by McVay and his reputation here owes a lot to personal bias. It's worse than his play on the field actually merits. Too many decided what he was before he ever put on a helmet with horns.
Those who never liked him never will. They don't pay attention to his performance, all they see is his name and measurables.

It doesn't help he only sees the field when Kupp is out and our offense is stalling anyways. If he's in the game at all, it means it's been a shitty day. That doesn't help his cause any.
Everyone pegged him as another Tavon which couldn’t be further from the truth. He is a pure speed/ route runner where Tavon was shifty and more of a gadget type player. But yeah it’s just disappointing he never got a fair shot. Just still can’t get over him going over 100 yards in game one and never having the opportunity again. So damn weird.