OFFICIAL OL injuries and recovery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My expectation is that Limmer takes the Center spot and you shuffle the rest until your guys are back. I’m confident the Rams will put the best out there.

More importantly (IMO) the gameplans must be adjusted. You obviously don’t go “Full Fisher” on offense, but leaning on Williams and Corum is the best way to manage this MASH unit up front the next few weeks. I’m not so confident McVay will go this direction.

dang

Legend
Let’s assume we have the following starting week 3:

AJax>JJax>Limmer<Dotson<Hav

I can live with that.

And we get Avila back by week 5.

I can live with this. But Anything less would be concerning. And I don’t want to see Acuri on the field again unless it’s clean up with Bennett in.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Noteboom hurt his ankle on the first play I think physically superior players overwhelm Noteboom and it leads to injuries.
The thing that gets me, is why? Increasing strength should be comparatively easy for him, compared to me. He has been in the NFL for years, so why isn't he a physical monster by now?
He is not worth the Rams time.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The thing that gets me, is why? Increasing strength should be comparatively easy for him, compared to me. He has been in the NFL for years, so why isn't he a physical monster by now?
Being strong and being able to play strong are not the same thing.

Noteboom plays a little high imo and bullrushers get him off balance easily. Strength doesn’t do much good if you don’t know how to use it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Noteboom plays a little high imo and bullrushers get him off balance easily. Strength doesn’t do much good if you don’t know how to use it.
Maybe...but I can still say why does he play high after years in the NFL? How many Oline coaches has he had? Surely, they tried to improve his play and he continues to do the same wrong things. I am am beyond tired of this injury prone player.

Edited by moderator to remove the last word. You know better by now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Or it does not do much good if you're always in the tub. Can we finally all conclude that this is a body that is a total waste of a roster spot.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I can remember Von Miller bulldozing him 2 years ago, and Von is only around 240 pounds. Loyal has a good point though... you would think he could be taught to play better. I guess some guys just go back to what they know, or they simply lack the talent or intelligence to play better, although Boom has looked good at times. He is truly an enigma. And a glass one at that.

Psycho_X

Legend
After watching the video from the first play of the game where Dotson literally threw his man into the side of Noteboom's legs while they were planted I'm surprised Boom made it 26 more snaps. I am as frustrated as everyone with Boom's availability but this injury was just horrible luck.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I can live with that.

I can live with this. But Anything less would be concerning. And I don’t want to see Acuri on the field again unless it’s clean up with Bennett in.
Yes that starting 5 is the hope for week three. The key is getting there without losing QB1 to a beating from our depth LT options.

Where this gets problematic with Avila is that Center role. I think all Limmer has to do to force the Rams' hands is play well at the pivot. Do that and it's over. He will be our Center the rest of the way.

And I guess "problematic" is a poor choice of words. Because this is actually a good thing. Because if Limmer plays well and the Rams decide to give JJ a look in there after Avila returns then you have competition which always benefits the team. Competition always gives you the best possible return on your player value.

So rest up Avila. And when you get back be ready to compete your ass off because if things go the way I hope and Limmer plays well on the interior that competition will be necessary to reclaim your spot.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I can live with that.

Yeah - but at least The Rams were Proactive against Detroit this year with Steitcher. Not much more they could do ? Then again they were out of options??

I think you’re missing a week ? What is it going to look like against the Cards? Play calling is going have to fit there package.Other wise it’s like having unprotected sex with (whatever?) your sort of screwed either way.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Let me say first that I am no OL coach nor do I want to sound like I think I am. However there's a lot of things that go into a good LT. There's the ability to think quickly and move your feet in combination to stone the rusher, which is referred to as "feet" most of the time. Within that you must be athletic, which is hard to find with those big boys. I think Boom is pretty good in that regard by the way. He is smooth and moves well.

But there is also that core strength, which matters when a rusher gets into your pads. Look at Whit. He was big and rangy as fuck but had great core strength. Only the best power rushers would move him, guys like Bosa who once they get into his pads it was over. Then on top of that you probably have lower half strength, that junk in the trunk effect, which can counter or help in that regard. This is where Boom fucking sucks.

And of course you have technique, the hands usage but also how long the arms are, how strong the arms are, and how well the player can coordinate them at full speed. I don't have the greatest handle on all that wrt Boom admittedly. He probably has technique that needs to be cleaned up. And I don't think his hands or arms are particularly strong nor will they ever be.

Bottom line is working out can only get you so far. There's still a talent floor in this league on the OL, particularly with LT. You face a dude like Hutch with a talent differential you're up shit creek.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Play calling is going have to fit there package.Other wise it’s like having unprotected sex with (whatever?) your sort of screwed either way.
Helena Bonham Carter Reaction GIF

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let me say first that I am no OL coach nor do I want to sound like I think I am. However there's a lot of things that go into a good LT. There's the ability to think quickly and move your feet in combination to stone the rusher, which is referred to as "feet" most of the time. Within that you must be athletic, which is hard to find with those big boys. I think Boom is pretty good in that regard by the way. He is smooth and moves well.

But there is also that core strength, which matters when a rusher gets into your pads. Look at Whit. He was big and rangy as fuck but had great core strength. Only the best power rushers would move him, guys like Bosa who once they get into his pads it was over. Then on top of that you probably have lower half strength, that junk in the trunk effect, which can counter or help in that regard. This is where Boom fucking sucks.

And of course you have technique, the hands usage but also how long the arms are, how strong the arms are, and how well the player can coordinate them at full speed. I don't have the greatest handle on all that wrt Boom admittedly. He probably has technique that needs to be cleaned up. And I don't think his hands or arms are particularly strong nor will they ever be.

Bottom line is working out can only get you so far. There's still a talent floor in this league on the OL, particularly with LT. You face a dude like Hutch with a talent differential you're up shit creek.
Protein drinks!
Boom lover!

Psycho_X

Legend
OK, so by my count we now have 10 players on injured reserve or PUP list. We are allowed to bring back 8 total for the entire season. After we bring 8 back whoever we place on IR must stay on IR. Hopefully we're done with the spurt of injuries but things could get ugly fast. Only 3 I consider "well duh" we'll bring back the instant they are healthy. The rest I think depends on other injuries, timing, etc. Don't really know how the Rams view Boom, McDermott, and Leveston to each other... if both were healthy would Boom still be backup? Either way we are likely bringing back at least 4 of these guys that will count against the 8 man cap. Murchison is kind of the odd man out right now. I don't think we can afford to bring him back right off the bat if he's healthy. Maybe towards end of season if we got our bad luck out of the way completely.

Tyler Higbee - PUP list, after week 4 Rams have 21 days to activate him or must put on IR. If they activate does not use up one of 8 spots.
Puka Nacua - duh
Steve Avila - duh
Darious Williams - duh
Joe Noteboom - probably

Conor MCDermott - maybe... might be free like Leveston but not sure on timing
KT Leveston - went on IR in preseason so is allowed to come back for free
Larrell Murchison - if circumstances allow
Derion Kendrick - done for season
Tre Tomlinson - done for season

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I can remember Von Miller bulldozing him 2 years ago, and Von is only around 240 pounds. Loyal has a good point though... you would think he could be taught to play better. I guess some guys just go back to what they know, or they simply lack the talent or intelligence to play better, although Boom has looked good at times. He is truly an enigma. And a glass one at that.
Kids go through high school and college bending at the waist, then their draft profile reads, waist bender or not a natural knee bender. Some people just can’t do it no matter how many times they are told. It’s not a natural movement for them.

And yea, if he’s capable of doing it then by now he should have it figured out. But that’s a part of why some NFL players are great and others are backups

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Maybe...but I can still say why does he play high after years in the NFL? How many Oline coaches has he had? Surely, they tried to improve his play and he continues to do the same wrong things. I am am beyond tired of this injury prone loser.
Coaching only goes so far. It cannot overcome physical make-up. If Noteboom was able to bend well at the waste and stop bullrushers then he would have been a first round pick.

If he did pull it off for a short stint, like six games then maybe he worked his butt off with Whit and the coaches to hone his technique but that level of intensity just isn’t who he is. Maybe he was motivated by Whitworth to do better. Now Whit isn’t around. I doubt most receivers in the league put in the offseason work that Kupp did. Ditto for DTs and AD. Noteboom is likely more of the average NFL player than the exception.