New Defense - Ongoing season discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
Game 1: Rams vs. Lions - Defensive Review

Positives:

DL/OLB:

The defensive line and outside linebackers made a significant impact against the Lions' top-tier offensive line. Despite the absence of All-Pro Aaron Donald, the Rams' defensive front effectively limited the Lions to 20 points through four quarters. Key contributions came from Verse and second-year player Young, who both recorded sacks. Verses sack in the fourth quarter was crucial in disrupting Jared Goff’s rhythm, while Young also demonstrated his potential with a timely sack. According to Pro Football Focus, the Rams' defensive line achieved a 28% pressure rate against Goff, a notable accomplishment considering the strength of the Lions' offensive line.

ILB:

Reeder and Christian Rozeboom had commendable performances. Reeder was active throughout the game, notching 10 tackles and showcasing his sideline-to-sideline ability. Rozeboom contributed with 7 tackles and provided solid run support. While neither player is flawless, Rozeboom ability to cover ground and Reeders physical play were significant positives. The addition of rookie linebacker Jordan Speights in the upcoming weeks could potentially enhance the off-ball defense if he outperforms Reeder, adding depth and flexibility.

CBs:

The Rams' cornerbacks, Cobie Durant and Tre’Vius White, performed admirably. Durant/White effectively limited Amon-Ra St. Brown to 50 yards on 6 receptions, while White provided strong coverage throughout the game. The secondary also benefited from solid performances by Curl and JJIII. JJIII had a key interception, and Curl was reliable in both coverage and run support. Despite a roughing the passer penalty on Kitchens , the overall play of the cornerbacks and safeties was solid.

Negatives:

DL/OLB:

The performances of Bobby Brown III and Turner were less impactful. Turner struggled to create disruption in the backfield, and his performance raised concerns about his ability to handle increased responsibilities without Aaron Donald. BBIII , while showing potential, had difficulty against the Lions' offensive line, getting pushed around in both pass and run situations. The Rams' defensive line had a 14% run-stop win rate, indicating a need for improvement in stopping the run. As the season progresses, these players will need to step up their performance.

ILB:

Reeder and Rozeboom had their limitations. Reeder , while active, sometimes struggled with tackling technique and gap discipline, which allowed some runs to break through. Rozeboom’s lack of elite athleticism and occasional missteps in coverage were noticeable drawbacks. Both players will need to refine their technique and positioning to enhance the overall effectiveness of the linebacker corps.

CBs:

Durant had a missed interception opportunity, which was a low point in an otherwise solid performance. White, although effective for the most part, allowed a significant play due to a double move, which is a probably due to knocking off the rust as he continues to recover from injury. Overall, the cornerbacks were solid but need to refine their consistency and execution to avoid big plays.

Coaching:

Defensive coordinator Shulas game plan was effective. With a more aggressive approach, including press coverage and varied pre-snap looks, resulted in effective pressure and two sacks. His use of stunt packages contributed to a 25% sack rate, demonstrating a successful strategy against Goff. The improved approach over past seasons suggests that the Rams’ defense could perform at a high level if the positive trends continue and the team stays healthy.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Game 1: Rams vs. Lions - Defensive Review

Negatives:

DL/OLB:

The performances of Bobby Brown III and Turner were less impactful. Turner struggled to create disruption in the backfield, and his performance raised concerns about his ability to handle increased responsibilities without Aaron Donald. BBIII , while showing potential, had difficulty against the Lions' offensive line, getting pushed around in both pass and run situations. The Rams' defensive line had a 14% run-stop win rate, indicating a need for improvement in stopping the run. As the season progresses, these players will need to step up their performance.
We should add Braden Fiske here. Obviously, he's a rookie but he didn't impact the game. He was more invisible than Turner.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We should add Braden Fiske here. Obviously, he's a rookie but he didn't impact the game. He was more invisible than Turner.
Agreed, he disappeared but it's game one against one of the best Olines in the league. Time will tell.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Agreed, he disappeared but it's game one against one of the best Olines in the league. Time will tell.
You're right. I have high hopes for him and Turner. The success of this d-line will be that they get production from every last one of them. Unlike when we had AD who was the only guy we could count on.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah we got worked pretty good in the trenches period. I expected our OL to get worked, given the OTs and shuffling of the interior late in preseason. But the DL getting worked was surprising. They did hold up for much of the game, but I think the Detroit staff did a better job prioritizing physicality and had better players overall and that ended up deciding things.

I agree that Shula is off to a great start. If the defense had not played so well early on we would have gotten trucked in that game. That was a blowout waiting to happen but they forced some short fields and the offense thanks to Stafford did a great job eating clock and drives.

Going forward I can't wait to see what Shula does when he gets Speights in there and sorts this DL depth. Still think we can end up with a very good defense, as long as our corners stay healthy.

Psycho_X

Legend
Defenses generally get better as the year goes on (barring catastrophic injuries) especially for one with so much youth. For a week 1 game against a team with super bowl hype, a top offense, prime time game, and at their place I am quite impressed with how they did yesterday. Defense has a high ceiling this season I think. Will see how the line performs against lesser opponents and they need to quit biting so hard on misdirection and screens but overall pretty good. See how they do once they've had a chance to truly gel together.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have to be patient with Kobie Turner. IIRC... he was extremely effective when being double-teamed last year, so hopefully he just had a quiet game last night. I fully expect him to come out and play great very soon. In other words... I don't think the Aaron Donald "effect" had much of an influence on him last year.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have to be patient with Kobie Turner. IIRC... he was extremely effective when being double-teamed last year, so hopefully he just had a quiet game last night. I fully expect him to come out and play great very soon. In other words... I don't think the Aaron Donald "effect" had much of an influence on him last year.

We'll obviously need more than a one game sample to really see if the absence of AD is going to play a role in his production this year. But I agree it's one game.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
David Montgomery, by running through our defense like it was barely there, points out a mistake that the Rams have been doing under McVay;
Virtually ignoring the linebacker position.
Even when we do invest a draft pick and find a good one, they don't bother to re-sign a talented Ernest Jones.
We are putting out a defense with two undrafted free agents starting.

Think about that.
We are starting two UDFAs that have been dropped by other teams recently.
That's pretty unprecedented.
They basically gave the continuously injured Noteboom the money they could have used to re-sign Jones.
I understand that they commonly use a third safety in place of a linebacker but we were just exposed.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
David Montgomery, by running through our defense like it was barely there, points out a mistake that the Rams have been doing under McVay;
Virtually ignoring the linebacker position.
Even when we do invest a draft pick and find a good one, they don't bother to re-sign a talented Ernest Jones.
We are putting out a defense with two undrafted free agents starting.

Think about that.
We are starting two UDFAs that have been dropped by other teams recently.
That's pretty unprecedented.
They basically gave the continuously injured Noteboom the money they could have used to re-sign Jones.
I understand that they commonly use a third safety in place of a linebacker but we were just exposed.
Be curious to see grades on Rozeboom and Reeder's performances. They weren't game-changers--neither has that level of talent--but they played pretty well and were not a glaring liability as in years past.

Toothsayer

UDFA
Name
Richard H Stee
After a quick scan of the defensive line/front 7 snaps, I'm intrigued. I don't have all-22 so I can't say much about pass coverage. The numbers would indicate some good stuff going down, though. Jamo's big crosser should have come back for illegal contact by St Brown on White, for sure. Should White have had safety help on Jamo's deep TD ? I couldn't tell.

No wonder fatigue was a factor on the DL in OT; never seen that many twists in one game . Never mind all the extra energy they expended running them, I think I strained a couple of eye ligaments trying to untangle them in review.

Hoecht was a stud in the RZ. Not to many LBs can knock a pulling Sewell back like Hoecht did right after the nasty open field tackle on St Brown. Pushed Decker back to Goff,moments later, helping to force the misfire to LaPorta, too.

Fiske had some moments: nice rush contributed to first sack in Q1, sheds Decker & beelines to Gibbs early in Q3. Next play Glasgow gets twitchy & false starts in front of him.Co-inky-dink ? Next play, super quick across Ragnow's face on yet another twist, gets Ragnow's shoulder & drives nicely but Kobie gets pushed out of his gap & we get treated to the drunk baby giraffe running for a crucial first down . I'd rather watch fat girls mud wrestling than Goff scrambling.

Sometimes good/bad news at once with The Fiskinator. Stood up but not moved back at the nose by Ragnow on a short run early on, but ultimately knocked back on his butt by D-Mo, conceding the two yards but barely. Yeah, not all the stunts run by Shula worked...

Verse had some brain gas incidents, losing the edge or getting faked, the biggie being that Raymond run in OT. He was a handful as a pass rusher all day, though.

Turner & Young had some moments, too, but the whiffed tackles here & there undermined them a bit, imo.

Considering that 44 of D-Mo's 91 yards came on that OT drive when several Rams were hanging back waiting for something cute through the air that never materialized, creating 9 on 7/8 a couple of key downs, I don't think the run defense was bad vs that opponent. Throw in a Rozeboom missed fit (on the big D-Mo run) and some tired tackling & there's your collapse. Frustrating but fixable, imo, since it wasn't an all-game issue at all, really.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
All thing considered the Rams played well with a beat-up OL. McVay's decision to go for it on 4th and 4 inside the 20 right before the half proved to be costly. Also, Kupp had a drop on an easy catch that would have kept the drive going was surprising.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fiske had some moments: nice rush contributed to first sack in Q1, sheds Decker & beelines to Gibbs early in Q3. Next play Glasgow gets twitchy & false starts in front of him.Co-inky-dink ? Next play, super quick across Ragnow's face on yet another twist, gets Ragnow's shoulder & drives nicely but Kobie gets pushed out of his gap & we get treated to the drunk baby giraffe running for a crucial first down . I'd rather watch fat girls mud wrestling than Goff scrambling.
I'll say that our boys must have done a decent enough job early on given the way the game looked at halftime. But I think the DL as a group got worked pretty good. Detroit won the day for sure in the trenches on both sides.

Nice thing about Fiske is he's a tenacious fucker. I'll bet he works his ass off to get the taste of that game out of his mouth. So I'm gonna chalk this one up as a "welcome to the NFL rook" experience for him. It is no different than what he said happened in the SEC early on, he had to adjust. But I am confident he'll be ok.

Turner has already shown us some good things but he got worked too. I think one problem is we need better play on the nose. But honestly Turner and Fiske are gonna do the work and rebound. They'll get there. Question for me is whether Davis is good enough to give them a third heat on that nose, because Brown won't be able to do that.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Very optimistic about this defense. I think it can be top 10 by the end of the season, assuming all the young guys improve. Durant looked great filling in for Williams. Fiske and Verse both looked very good for their first NFL game, in that atmosphere, against perhaps the best offensive line the NFL. Tre White looks to still have it. Let's hope he can stay healthy. I liked what I saw from Shula. A lot. Let's see what he does when offenses get tape on his schemes. The play of the LBs really is a compliment to him. It was not perfect but it was very encouraging.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
For selfish reasons, I wish AD had stayed for another season or two. I think this defense would have been special if he was still there.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams D wasn’t gassed in OT, was more like exposed. Rams were dominating the time of possession all game.
With the Rams up 3, and just over 2 minutes to go, the Rams had time of possession for almost 35 minutes to just 23 and change for Detroit.
26 1st downs to 15 for the lions.
With all the injury losses on the O side of the field, it was understandable to overlook the play of the D, but going forward I’m a little concerned about how the interior line was man handled

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Yardage wise Ram's run D is bottom 10 and pass D is mid pack.

Yes it's only one game and yes it was against a particpant in last year's NFC championship game at its home field. However, they failed to prevent a last second 4th qt FG which forced OT and then got bulldozed for a opening TD in OT.

Unimpressive.

We'll find out soon enough whether the Ram's run D is better than they showed with SF (180 yards rushing last night with a back up rb) coming up.

Last edited: