Matthews Vs Robinson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I draw the parallel between Jason Smith and Greg Robinson as well, justified or not.

Alan

Legend
2. OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M (6-5, 305, 5.14): He is not, however, an elite athlete and some view his future back on the right side in the NFL.

I want to look elsewhere when it comes to drafting an OT.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
JM has many more starts under his belt
JM has played started on the right side
JM would appear to have mush more versatility @ more OL positions. Could start in four of the Ram OL posts.
JM could start in place of Jake Long until he was fully 100%
JM has a solid bloodline known to HC

GR has more size & power
GR has a much higher ceiling & is a future OLT in the NFL
GR is also has a connection to the Fisher family

Snead should be able to trade down one time & still get one of these talented OL'er for Sam Bradford. If no trade down comes into play target the one they want the most & if one falls out of the top ten trade up & get him.

I like them both. hard for me to pick one over the other.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My .02 is that Mathews is plug and play pro ready and versatile. You will never call him a bust and at worst will be a solid 10 year OL starter in this league and at best will have some trips to Honolulu (I wish they'd kill the Pro Bowl).

^ this.

The bloodlines suggest durability too.

I'm hoping we get this guy... But also favor a trade down.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Depends upon where i'm drafting. IMO Matthews is a guy you can take in the top 5. Robinson top 10.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I see where some of the newer mocks have Matthews dropping out of the top 10. In this situation if the Rams took Robinson with one Snead trade down then maneuvered to take the suggested dropping Matthews @ #13 or a bit earlier if need be ....would be an unbelievable bit of luck. I would just insert Gerald Robinson @ OLG with Jake Long then insert Jake Matthews in @ ORG with Barksdale.

Thus you groom Gerald Robinson on the left side developing his pass protection @ OLG to be the future Sam Bradford blind side OLT & Jake Mathews would be inserted @ ORG for a season in order to be set to take over for the ORT post when Barksdale goes UFA in 2015. Jake Matthews could fill the void @ swing OT if need be. So many holes & this would finally bring in so serious healthy young OL talent.

OLT- Long/ Robinson
OLG- Robinson/ B.Washington
OC- Barnes/ B.Jones
ORG- Matthews/ M.Persons
ORT-Barksdale/Matthews

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
(I wish they'd kill the Pro Bowl).

I disagree. The "Pro Bowler" label is a highly coveted status moniker in the NFL. Most players have personal goals, and little things like this helps a player stay motivated and feel rewarded for the work he puts in.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I just feel that Greg Robinson would be a better fit in our division

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
We are going to really need one of these guys. Passing them up, to me at least, is a risk we can't take. We have had great success in the running game but we need to keep our front strong because Stacy is not very capable of running to the outside.

Matthews is the safest bet but Robinson would give Stacy more to work with. I trust our organization on this one.

F. Mulder

Starter
I disagree. The "Pro Bowler" label is a highly coveted status moniker in the NFL. Most players have personal goals, and little things like this helps a player stay motivated and feel rewarded for the work he puts in.

I think in the past it held more validity. I get that it is something someone wants to achieve and there can be contract incentives for achieving it but recently it's become a glorified beach touch football game with players getting by on past reputations and/or popularity. I think a lot of younger players like to make the trip but the older ones come up with a lot of mysterious injuries before the game to avoid it.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
It's a tough call. I am sure our FO knows better than any of us and I will trust their decision whatever that might be. My observation is this and technically I don't know poo and don't claim to. I have watched way more football college and pro than any one guy really ought to in the last 45 years. I have made sure my wives are football fans. So those are my qualifications to evaluate talent. I saw Greg Robinson and Matthews play multiple times. I was blown away with Robinsons ru;n blocking. Matthews in pass pro on the surface is much more polished but you have to be careful there as well. Blocking for JFoootball is differnt than blocking for Sam Bradford. How will Mattews hold up with a pocket passer? Worst case with Robinson is he is a career guard that you spent a high 1 on. Worst case with Mattews?

Alan

Legend
RamsOfCastamere with a valid point:
Winning the designation has value like you said. Playing an actual game has no value at all. I'd add in one more point in that even the designation means nothing unless you're voted in by other professionals such as peers, coaches or sports writers (although I'm not positive about that last one).

CoachO

Hall of Fame
What does a prospects upside mean?? Someone thinks he can get better than he is? So what you are saying is that Boudreau can make Robinson better than he can make Matthews??

Why couldn't Beaudreau make Rok Watkins a player?

Not trying to be snarky just trying to understand that whole upside thing and where it comes from.

You seem to think that a position coach, can motivate a player to me mature enough to take his job seriously. Watkins' issues had nothing to do with his talent, or his being "a player", it had everything to do with his commitment to the program. (seems to be a pattern of players from South Carolina).

These coaches aren't supposed to be babysitters. As has been beaten to death with the overall youth of this team, each of these players mature at their own pace. I applaud Fisher and Boudreau for cutting bait with Watkins when he was given at least two chances (that we know about) to get with the program.

There doesn't seem to be any of these sort of rumblings surrounding Robinson, so this isn't the same scenario. This is about teaching him how to be a better technician and him learning the pro game, something that Boudreau has shown he is more than capable of.

Last edited by a moderator:

jap

Legend
I fail to see why anyone would equate Greg Robinson to Jason Smith. What in Greg's background indicates he is anything like Jason?

Furthermore, every time draft issues come up, it seems like some fail to remember we have genuine football people running the show now. These bizarre flashbacks to the horrors of past Horns regimes are really not called for.

Alan

Legend
jap with a Q:
I fail to see why anyone would equate Greg Robinson to Jason Smith. What in Greg's background indicates he is anything like Jason?
I think I can give a possible answer to that by asking you a question.

What in Jason Smith's background indicated he would turn out like he did?

The point being made here is that a bird in the hand is often, though not always, worth two in the bush.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Looks like there so much more to review on the soon to be 22 yr old Jake Matthews 6-5 310.
2010 Freshman/played in 10 games started 7 @ ORT.
2011 Sophomore/ started 13 games @ ORT
2012 Jr/started 13 games @ ORT
2013 Sr. started 13 games @ OLT.
Played in 49 games & started 46 games.

If the Rams Ol stays much like it is presently with No reserve swing OT & @ least one vacancy @ OLG JM would fulfill OT this need.

Here what I could find on the younger Greg Robinson 6-5 320:
2012 started 11 games as a redshirt freshman @ OLT.
2013 started 13 games as a 3rd yr sophomore @ OLT.
Played & started in 24 games

In GR we see one OT position, one side player who is a much proven outstanding run blocking OLT but @ the same time who has been susceptible to being beaten off the line by some of the elite speed rushers. GR did play OG in high school in his Jr & Sr. yrs.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
You seem to think that a position coach, can motivate a player to me mature enough to take his job seriously. Watkins' issues had nothing to do with his talent, or his being "a player", it had everything to do with his commitment to the program. (seems to be a pattern of players from South Carolina).

These coaches aren't supposed to be babysitters. As has been beaten to death with the overall youth of this team, each of these players mature at their own pace. I applaud Fisher and Boudreau for cutting bait with Watkins when he was given at least two chances (that we know about) to get with the program.

There doesn't seem to be any of these sort of rumblings surrounding Robinson, so this isn't the same scenario. This is about teaching him how to be a better technical and him learning the pro game, something that Boudreau has shown he is more than capable of.
You helped to make my point for me Coach I do not think they are supposed to fix every player and while Boudreau is a great coach even he needs top tier talent to mold them into probowl caliber players.

Thinking that they can continue to pick guys that are "good enough" in the mid rounds and that Boudrea will fix them is a bad scenario we need to get away from. It is time to get him some young blue chips to work with in this draft.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
You helped to make my point for me Coach I do not think they are supposed to fix every player and while Boudreau is a great coach even he needs top tier talent to mold them into probowl caliber players.

Thinking that they can continue to pick guys that are "good enough" in the mid rounds and that Boudrea will fix them is a bad scenario we need to get away from. It is time to get him some young blue chips to work with in this draft.

I didn't make your point unless you are trying to make the stretch that Watkins was supposed to be some "top tier talent". Watkins was an immature kid, who couldn't push himself away from the dinner table.

You seem to think that "top tier" talent is the only way to mold on an EFFECTIVE offensive line? Sorry, just don't buy that. There are way too many players who have performed at a very high level who were not considered "top tier" talent coming into the league. If there is one unit on a FB team where its is more about the sum of the parts, than it is about the individual parts, its the OL.

And Boudreau AND Fisher have proven that to be the case for a long time. I am not saying that they wouldn't benefit from adding talented players to the mix. But given the documented history of both of these guys, they prefer to find VETERANS who come available for one reason or another, and make it work.

Joe Barksdale is the latest example of this. While he may not make any All-Pro teams, he stepped in and solidified the RT spot, and played quite well in doing so.