I'm Done With PFT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You're a mod. How much harder has it been in the last 12 months to deal with the insertion of politics and/or social issues as opposed to when the site launched? I wasn't here at the launch so I would have no idea.
Well, that was 2010, so clearly the answer is that there's more now. But see, the site also started with the directive that you couldn't shit all over the team, its fans, its players, its coaches, or its hierarchy. That still stands. It's also always been a rule that political debate is forbidden here. So, as per usual, the expectation is that people can follow the rules. A new landscape of social issues doesn't mean the rules have changed. Just means people will get buff exercising their self-control.

WestCoastRam

Legend
We made it through the Rams move from St. Louis to LA. It wasn't easy because emotions were high. That is an issue that needed to be discussed but we contained it as best we could. Politics and social issues don't need to be discussed here. There are tons of sites on the net for that.

Prime, I totally appreciate everything you do for this site. And I hope this comes off as respectful but can we then lock this thread, I feel like the original post did bring up SJW so it kinda invited us back into the mix to talk about politics and social issues whether explicitly or implicitly.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, that was 2010, so clearly the answer is that there's more now. But see, the site also started with the directive that you couldn't crap all over the team, its fans, its players, its coaches, or its hierarchy. That still stands. It's also always been a rule that political debate is forbidden here. So, as per usual, the expectation is that people can follow the rules. A new landscape of social issues doesn't mean the rules have changed. Just means people will get buff exercising their self-control.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't challenging anything beyond the reality that "times, they is different".

I post here because of the environment and absolutely don't want it to change. I wasn't talking about ROD. ROD's an oasis in many respects.

I just meant generally.

Sorta like saying, "the waters are rising, so if we don't want the fields to flood out, we gotta keep adding to the levee". The water's gonna keep rising cuz it just...is. And even as the mods do an excellent job of keeping this place relatively dry, doesn't mean out in the world...the water is rising.

Moreover, going forward, I think it will, short of only discussing Xs and Os and directly about players, become harder to keep the water out.

I just think that's the world we're living in. And escape becomes harder in ubiquity. Water's rising everywhere and there's not a lot of room to move around on the mountaintop. Just means that to stay dry we have to head to higher ground and there's less room. And, I can see where there are flaws in that analogy.

Also, my quote "sports is the crucible in which we distill human virtue" means that in sport we distill the human experience into a very condensed timeline. It's one thing to talk about the virtue of being consistent and showing up to work every day. It's another to point to Cal Ripken's streak and SHOW someone what it looks like.

So we see human virtues like fortitude, patience and a host of others. We see those who excel the most at a particular sport tend to embody those human virtues that are the bases for that sport. Like the very things that make Jack Youngblood amazing are the very things that make football amazing. And he excelled at football because he was excellent at embracing and executing those human virtues.

I didn't mean it like the heavenly virtues. That'd be...weird, I think.

Anyway, I'll stop posting on this.

Florio is terribad and PFT makes my head hurt and it seems we can all agree on that.

Well, and that the Rams are gonna win the Super Bowl this year. Can't leave that out...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Prime, I totally appreciate everything you do for this site. And I hope this comes off as respectful but can we then lock this thread, I feel like the original post did bring up SJW so it kinda invited us back into the mix to talk about politics and social issues whether explicitly or implicitly.

I understand where you're coming from but let's see where it goes. This might be a good opportunity to talk about why we moderate this site the way we do. It is not our intent to be overly controlling as some ex-members claim but to keep ROD from going down the tubes the way others sites have gone. Thanks you for your thoughtful post.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I understand where you're coming from but let's see where it goes. This might be a good opportunity to talk about why we moderate this site the way we do. It is not our intent to be overly controlling as some ex-members claim but to keep ROD from going down the tubes the way others sites have gone. Thanks you for your thoughtful post.

I love all you guys.

My shortest post ever.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

nasa has managed to get a photo of florio from space.

here it is.

sphincter-constricted.png

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Just because you artfully associated jihad with social justice warriors, and I'm into the second book of the series now ...
7f1feb3ceddbf84295355e9a70b2d166.jpg

Psycho_X

Legend
Just because you artfully associated jihad with social justice warriors, and I'm into the second book of the series now ...

I don't know what this is, but I feel like the government is watching us now because of it.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

My favorite series of all time. I actually met Frank Herbert at a little book signing at a bookstore in Santa Monica CA called A Change of Hobbit.

I still have a signed copy of Chapterhouse:Dune in hardback somewhere...

I often reference the Bene Geserit when discussing the meaning of “human” and have repeated the mantra “fear is the mind killer...”

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I love Dune. Great books, although I've only read the first 2 and one of the histories.

Name
George
.... the site also started with the directive that you couldn't crap all over the team, its fans, its players, its coaches, or its hierarchy. That still stands.....

I'm new here ... can you make this rule a bit more specific?

"crap all over" is subjective; and when using that context, it can be applied with double standards.

Is it " not" ok to criticize the mod's favorite player for a dropped pass, but ok to criticize a player that a mod thought should have been cut before game 1? (hypothetical, I don't know if this has ever happened here)

Was it "not" ok to criticize a Rams fan for giving Chris Long the middle finger? (I don't have an opinion on this issue), but I've seen Rams fans do some embarrassing/disgusting stuff.

Was it "not" ok to write a scathing post about Sammy Watkins for taking plays off while he was with the Rams? or is it ok now that he is no longer with the team? (I don't know if this happened here or not, I wasn't here to know)

Are members here allowed to vent, express disappointment, or dissent?

What if I had a man-crush on the Sports Journalists mentioned in the OP? And I wrote a slobbering, smoke-blowing, adulating post about how he can walk on water? Would that be considered as "shitting" on the author of the OP?

I totally can relate to the OP's feelings towards the sports journalist. What if he felt this way about a particular Rams beat-writer? Would that be "crapping on the team, fans, ... etc"?

I'm just curious.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

"crap all over" is subjective; and when using that context, it can be applied with double standards.

I will remind you people that I requested a "facepalm" rating. And you said no. :p

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Is it " not" ok to criticize the mod's favorite player for a dropped pass, but ok to criticize a player that a mod thought should have been cut before game 1? (hypothetical, I don't know if this has ever happened here)

Was it "not" ok to criticize a Rams fan for giving Chris Long the middle finger? (I don't have an opinion on this issue), but I've seen Rams fans do some embarrassing/disgusting stuff.

Was it "not" ok to write a scathing post about Sammy Watkins for taking plays off while he was with the Rams? or is it ok now that he is no longer with the team? (I don't know if this happened here or not, I wasn't here to know)

What if I had a man-crush on the Sports Journalists mentioned in the OP? And I wrote a slobbering, smoke-blowing, adulating post about how he can walk on water? Would that be considered as "crapping" on the author of the OP?

I totally can relate to the OP's feelings towards the sports journalist. What if he felt this way about a particular Rams beat-writer? Would that be "crapping on the team, fans, ... etc"?

I'm just curious.
It’s subjective to be sure, but the gist of it is that if someone is a dickhead, everyone will know it, and the guys in charge will compare the feedback they get from the resident OG’s, with their gut instinct, and that’s all that’s required to make a decision about that person’s future here.

Criticism is fine. Always has been. Even a metric ton of verbal tongue-lashing is tolerated on certain days (see: the GDT). But someone who makes it their mission to rail on everyone and everything concerning this Glorious Franchise, day in and day out, or sets out to be the Champion of Truth in all matters concerning everything, will probably just get weeded out for the greater good. It’s all about preserving the culture of this community that took years to foster.

Cliff notes version: Don’t be a dick.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
But someone who makes it their mission to rail on everyone and everything concerning this Glorious Franchise, day in and day out, or sets out to be the Champion of Truth in all matters concerning everything,
@George Remus
There are other (Rams) message boards out there where members can routinely be "that guy."
"That guy" will not be tolerated or enabled here.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spend enough time here reading through the threads and you will eventually get the answer you seek for your question.

Use the search engine to find "vent" threads from the past, especially before the 2017 season, and you will see tons of venting and off-the-wall comments.

Read through the Game Day threads and you will see members complaining about every single play that didn't go the Rams way and every player getting criticized when they screw up. And if you have the stomach for it go into the Chat section during a game.

The charge that ROD does not allow criticism of of players and Rams personnel is ludicrous and comes from the whiners who were booted out because they refused to follow one simple rule. "Attack the post but not the member who made it."

Kevin Demoff is a member here. Jack Youngblood and Johnny Hekker have been gracious enough to give us interviews. Who knows who else stops by to visit ROD occasionally? Therefore we discourage childish name calling of those associated with out team because we want to increase our ability to interact with them, not discourage it.