Game of Thrones: Season 8

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Move back home and repopulate! Those southern people will help whether they want to or not. Eventually it’ll return to where people not wanted in the seven kingdoms will move or be shipped back up north.
Mostly Rams fans from Reno.... OldSchool GiantsBane!

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All you critics....

21690704_174376426444766_7195329780089094144_n.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
For you hardcore fans..........

You've made me want to watch this when I can eyeguzzle it.

This is for you fuckers.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I thought it was one of the worst and most illogical.

It wouldn't be so easy to shoot a dragon with a ballista. And when they shot the ships with the ballista, it seemed like it took no time at all to reload them. Did the writers get the idea from playing Age of Empires, with the rapid firing ballista?

Why didn't Dany just circle around the back and torch Eurons ships or do a dive from the top? And why didn't they have any Intel? Ballista are hard to miss.

Cercei paid Bronn to kill her brothers. She hated Tyrion her entire life, yet she could have taken him out from the wall, but didn't?

For that matter there was a perfect opportunity to start shooting at the entire small company, yet she didn't. She's always has been ruthless. She blew up the Sept, with citizens in it.

And Jaime doing a 180 and running back to Cercei was odd. He's the only Lannister to go North. They spent years developing him into a decent man. Why run back to her aid. Hopefully his real intent is to kill her. Maybe he thinks that she will win if he doesn't interfere.

There is such a thing as a repeating crossbow. The cartridge can be mounted above or below and the pull can be mounted above or below as well. Thus, for the volley of 5 shots which tends to be the limit of most high powered crossbows, with enough ships staggering their shots, it's actually one of the more plausible things.

However, without extensive ballistic testing, knowing the flightworthiness of the bolts as well as the range takes away from that. Moreover, it would take pretty extensive training not just for the guy "pulling the trigger", but also the crew of the Scorpion as well as getting the operator and the aiming/pulling crew in synch. Simple hand signals like that would make accurate aiming at 500+ yards very difficult as you need to be accurate in two planes and THEN include Kentucky Windage (aka leading the target).

So, while a potentially repeating Scorpion would actually be pretty reasonable and actually desirable (you don't want only one volley at a dragon), the implementation is very much fantasy. Not nearly enough time to fabricate, install and train the crews, both on the land based Scorpions and the sea versions which included the counterweight of a seat (of which the weight of the operator would change the operational characteristics of aiming the Scorpion) as well as knowing if such a strong force would affect the seaworthiness as they are so prominently featured on the bow. Being so high above the sea line as on the extreme bow would be a serious issue for the ship as well as its navigation. For as much power as those Scorpions had, they'd either have to really reinforce the bow making the ship nose heavy (not good) or risk the Scorpion ripping off the stem of the bow to the keel.

Still, the fantasy is fun to think about.

Also, the development of mathematics beyond astronomy was driven by trying to understand ballistics.

Also, prior to maybe 20 years ago, we didn't have working examples of trebuchet, just pictures. I forget which movie brought them back and figured some things out, but prior to that, it was all catapults (which are substantially more limited as a matter of basic physics). Pretty amazing when you think about it.
mak-9024-04.JPG

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Doesn't fit Cersei's prophecy, though. It has to be a "little brother" who kills her. I don't know if it's Tyrion, Jaime, or her unborn child, but one of them is going to cause her death.
maxresdefault.jpg

Totally forgot about that!!!

That'd be something else if she's winning and she miscarries and dies...

Still think Arya has...something...to do with it....

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
maxresdefault.jpg

Totally forgot about that!!!

That'd be something else if she's winning and she miscarries and dies...

Still think Arya has...something...to do with it....
Like I said, if Arya has a part of Jamie and kills Cersei because of it (his face), does that work?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There is such a thing as a repeating crossbow. The cartridge can be mounted above or below and the pull can be mounted above or below as well. Thus, for the volley of 5 shots which tends to be the limit of most high powered crossbows, with enough ships staggering their shots, it's actually one of the more plausible things.

However, without extensive ballistic testing, knowing the flightworthiness of the bolts as well as the range takes away from that. Moreover, it would take pretty extensive training not just for the guy "pulling the trigger", but also the crew of the Scorpion as well as getting the operator and the aiming/pulling crew in synch. Simple hand signals like that would make accurate aiming at 500+ yards very difficult as you need to be accurate in two planes and THEN include Kentucky Windage (aka leading the target).

So, while a potentially repeating Scorpion would actually be pretty reasonable and actually desirable (you don't want only one volley at a dragon), the implementation is very much fantasy. Not nearly enough time to fabricate, install and train the crews, both on the land based Scorpions and the sea versions which included the counterweight of a seat (of which the weight of the operator would change the operational characteristics of aiming the Scorpion) as well as knowing if such a strong force would affect the seaworthiness as they are so prominently featured on the bow. Being so high above the sea line as on the extreme bow would be a serious issue for the ship as well as its navigation. For as much power as those Scorpions had, they'd either have to really reinforce the bow making the ship nose heavy (not good) or risk the Scorpion ripping off the stem of the bow to the keel.

Still, the fantasy is fun to think about.

Also, the development of mathematics beyond astronomy was driven by trying to understand ballistics.

Also, prior to maybe 20 years ago, we didn't have working examples of trebuchet, just pictures. I forget which movie brought them back and figured some things out, but prior to that, it was all catapults (which are substantially more limited as a matter of basic physics). Pretty amazing when you think about it.
mak-9024-04.JPG

I have never seen a repeating Ballista. I have seen repeating hand held crossbows. The weight of the projectiles would make it unlikely to function in rapid fire. The arrow would have to fall perfectly into place and it would take too much time to crank the bow back for rapid fire to work. Plus I didn't see any indication of a magazine on top of the ballistas.

I really dislike how lazy these writers are. This show was a masterpiece until the last two seasons.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have never seen a repeating Ballista. I have seen repeating hand held crossbows. The weight of the projectiles would make it unlikely to function in rapid fire. The arrow would have to fall perfectly into place and it would take too much time to crank the bow back for rapid fire to work. Plus I didn't see any indication of a magazine on top of the ballistas.

I really dislike how lazy these writers are. This show was a masterpiece until the last two seasons.

the shows this season are like watching sportscenter on ESPN. sure, you see the highlights, you find out the score, you even get some interviews , but you miss out on the rest of the game being played. very superficial. the hardest part to understand is that they took an EXTRA year to prepare for this season and this is the end result ?? the next 2 episodes need to be hall of fame material. sadly, though, i doubt it.

as for the dragon being hit..............ummmm i'm pretty sure they are high up in the air and should be able to sight a big armada of ships on an ocean. also, ships have a crow's nest where sailors act as lookouts trying to locate ships on the horizon , etc. and as for hitting that dragon twice..............how can they compensate so accurately and quickly while being on a body of water and aiming at a target that isnt flying in a repetitive pattern?? and since the ballista are at the front of the ships , and all of the ships were facing the dragons, how about flying BEHIND the $((&%() ships and doing a little fiery mop up of the crews ?? the whole scene was just a blatant jump scare / shock scene. just like Bronn showing up in winterfell. at least in his case, wandering thru winterfell with a crossbow where a major war has just taken place doesnt put him out of place, but he just happens to know exactly where jaime and tyrion are. as the church lady would say : well isnt that special ??

deadpool would be dying over the lazy writing in this season. and as for lazy writer...............damn martin, 8 years ?? seriously ?? i know hbo is kicking you some serious coin, but hell, finish your storyline.

end of rant. enjoy the CGI.

Last edited:

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
deadpool would be dying over the lazy writing in this season.

I feel like this is a setup for someone to point out that one of GoT's writers, David Benioff, was responsible for this:
17-deadpool-x-men.w700.h467.jpg

Yes, the merc with a mouth, without a mouth . . .

-----
-----

Thanks to this thread, I discovered:

The Polybolos
automatic ballista
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polybolos

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3k12OEK8ok

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POnaByZskU8

-----
-----

A Medieval Warfare Expert Explains the Crossbows on ‘Game of Thrones’
https://www.theringer.com/game-of-t...-thrones-crossbows-explained-medieval-warfare

Excerpt:

Euron and his forces take out Rhaegal with three hits from a considerable distance. How difficult would it be to hit a moving target from that distance? Is it even possible to do that given their resources?

No [laughs], that’s the short answer. Both cases, no. The ballisti that we know of, the larger ones—they might’ve had that distance, they certainly would not have had that accuracy. To be able to hit three [times], even on a large dragon, would’ve been rather difficult. Of course, at the same time, I’m not sure that anybody would ever fall for that type of an ambush if they had dragons to be out scouting, which they would certainly think knowing they were facing a navy from the enemy side.

There’s a lot of problems with history with that whole thing. I think that was one of the first times I felt really cheated by Game of Thrones—to have such a mediocre defensive stunt pulled and not seen by the people who are supposed to be superior military intellects. I was not entirely thrilled with that whole part of that episode, and the large crossbows taking out the dragon like that. They wouldn’t have had the ballistic power, they wouldn’t have had the aim. It’s hard to aim a crossbow and it would’ve been hard aiming a large ballista like that, certainly because the shot would have to be so powerfully delivered that with the kickback you couldn’t really judge where the crossbow bolt would end up.

-----
-----

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/bmkr4n/spoilers_couldnt_but_help_but_roll_my_eyes_after/

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last question I have regarding the silly crossbow/dragon shark jump, if they could accurately hit a dragon in the neck, how come they couldn't take out Daenerys instead? She's a much bigger target than the neck

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel like this is a setup for someone to point out that one of GoT's writers, David Benioff, was responsible for this:
17-deadpool-x-men.w700.h467.jpg

Yes, the merc with a mouth, without a mouth . . .

-----
-----

Thanks to this thread, I discovered:

The Polybolos
automatic ballista
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polybolos

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3k12OEK8ok

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POnaByZskU8

-----
-----

A Medieval Warfare Expert Explains the Crossbows on ‘Game of Thrones’
https://www.theringer.com/game-of-t...-thrones-crossbows-explained-medieval-warfare

Excerpt:

Euron and his forces take out Rhaegal with three hits from a considerable distance. How difficult would it be to hit a moving target from that distance? Is it even possible to do that given their resources?

No [laughs], that’s the short answer. Both cases, no. The ballisti that we know of, the larger ones—they might’ve had that distance, they certainly would not have had that accuracy. To be able to hit three [times], even on a large dragon, would’ve been rather difficult. Of course, at the same time, I’m not sure that anybody would ever fall for that type of an ambush if they had dragons to be out scouting, which they would certainly think knowing they were facing a navy from the enemy side.

There’s a lot of problems with history with that whole thing. I think that was one of the first times I felt really cheated by Game of Thrones—to have such a mediocre defensive stunt pulled and not seen by the people who are supposed to be superior military intellects. I was not entirely thrilled with that whole part of that episode, and the large crossbows taking out the dragon like that. They wouldn’t have had the ballistic power, they wouldn’t have had the aim. It’s hard to aim a crossbow and it would’ve been hard aiming a large ballista like that, certainly because the shot would have to be so powerfully delivered that with the kickback you couldn’t really judge where the crossbow bolt would end up.

-----
-----

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/bmkr4n/spoilers_couldnt_but_help_but_roll_my_eyes_after/

Interesting to see a crossbow demonstration done by French speaking people. They fought for many years against the English who used long bows.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last question I have regarding the silly crossbow/dragon shark jump, if they could accurately hit a dragon in the neck, how come they couldn't take out Daenerys instead? She's a much bigger target than the neck
and why didn't they open the gates and run down Dani & Friends in that last scene. No dragon and no horses by which to escape. They should have had a lot more troops there, imo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
and why didn't they open the gates and run down Dani & Friends in that last scene. No dragon and no horses by which to escape. They should have had a lot more troops there, imo.
I think the dragon was there no? Just sitting there like a lazy dog?
I thought the same thing. Screw code, they could have wiped them out right there.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the dragon was there no? Just sitting there like a lazy dog?
I thought the same thing. Screw code, they could have wiped them out right there.
I didn't see the dragon, but even better. If a moving dragon can be speared hundreds of yards in the sky, then why not train several Ballistas at a resting dragon and fire? Kill Dani, John,and the last dragon... Cersei wins.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't see the dragon, but even better. If a moving dragon can be speared hundreds of yards in the sky, then why not train several Ballistas at a resting dragon and fire? Kill Dani, John,and the last dragon... Cersei wins.
Yeah the dragon was there. Just chilling out.
Here’s a decent shot, dragon is top right
3301E2AB-0E8F-4EFF-B0A7-E122E6B4D8F4.jpeg

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
when cersei took miss sandie by the arm i was hoping she would have jumped and taken cersei with her. if they're going for shock scenes, that woulda worked for me.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
There's a rumor coming out about tonight's episode...

In episode 5, apparently Aaron Rodgers is going to be in it.

I hope he dies a horrible death.

It almost makes me not want to watch tonight.