Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Flu doesn't do what this virus is doing.

And I'm CERTAIN that the gov'ts of the world and multi-billion and trillion dollar companies wouldn't be tanking the economy and buying into this for PR.

I've been reading accounts from Anesthetists and Respiratory Nurses in affected areas and their accounts not just of who this affects (40-50yos without any history, meaning healthy people) but how quickly this shit goes from bad to catastrophic is harrowing.

Remember, Wuhan is STILL on lockdown over a month later. Northern Italy, the same. That's what it took to STOP the transmission and it has taken a full MONTH of full lockdown.

We STILL don't have that in the US. I can get in my car and go to the gas station or grocer store right now.

I hope your right and the worst of this will be getting the economy back on track.

I wouldn't bet on it, tho.

If thats the case, and this is how you say, then we better just go ivan drago on this shit
40A7F8FA-FE37-4D3D-AEB8-1ABCA7E5A879.jpeg

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I still don’t think it’s any bigger threat than the flu in terms of who’s the most vulnerable to it. That’s just me though I guess. I stick by my initial reaction.

I'm still not worried, either. Unnecessary panic has made this much worse than it needed to be.

I have to stockpile because of people, not because of the virus.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
For those of you thinking we are over reacting to this - just to be clear - are you suggesting bars and restaurants should be staying open? That people should still be getting together? That we should just go business as usual and let this run its course?

I’m not trying to put words in anyone’s mouths - tell me, what is the appropriate response here?

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
For those of you thinking we are over reacting to this - just to be clear - are you suggesting bars and restaurants should be staying open? That people should still be getting together? That we should just go business as usual and let this run its course?

I’m not trying to put words in anyone’s mouths - tell me, what is the appropriate response here?
what about next years flu , or the flu after that one ,

is this going to be the standard practice now every year when a new virus pops up

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

No. Social distancing isn’t a bad idea until the vaccine is distributed. What I am referring to is the hoarding and panic buying of toilet paper, the selling off of stocks, projecting outlandish fatality numbers in order to generate clicks, talk of instituting curfews, stuff like that. Apocalyptic responses. You’d think I’d be more worried about it, what with all the hospitals and nursing homes I have to go into on a daily basis, but I’m not. There’s a very very good chance I’ll contract this, but as a relatively healthy adult, I know there’s an extremely slim chance it’ll be fatal. That’s where my head’s at anyway.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Logic would tell us it has been here for months.
By the time the Chinese identified it (I’m sure before they went public with it) I’m sure months had gone by. How many people had it there? Tens of thousands?
International travel etc. It has been here.
I’m sure it has been here for months.
This is probably the second round of infections. Many pandemics including Spanish flu (which had three rounds of infection) the second round was the most serious and deadly.
Add in the fact that some people supposedly show no symptoms but are contagious and it has likely been wide spread.
About had my office was sick late last year with symptoms that were sort of cold like but without all the runny nose stuff. Had a dry cough that lasted weeks. With mine I had a few days with a fever that came and went a couple of times a day and the dry cough that lasted about three weeks.
My mother had the same thing. Feeling worn down with some body soreness, dry cough that went on and on. She has COPD and ended up in the hospital on a ventilator for a couple of days.
Was this Covid? Is there more than one strain? Who knows?
The tent city thing is very disconcerting.
Certainly feeds the paranoia monster of anyone that doesn’t trust the government.....which is anyone with sense in my opinion.
But at the end of the day, what can an individual do? Not fuck all.
As testing expands the number of cases will widely expand. No surprise there.
Have a package of disinfectant wipes I bought months ago....says on the package, “Effective against cold virus caused by coronavirus”. Thought that was interesting.
Are the tent cities likely based on responses to previous pandemics? You can find old photos during the Spanish Flu with hundreds and hundreds of beds lined up in make shift facilities.
Can people be infected more than once?
More than one strain?
A lot we are not being told for sure.
Strange times.
It says it's effective against cold and flu caused by Coronavirus because there's seven types of Coronavirus that have been around for a long ass time and they cause the cold and flu. It's interesting because it means the marketing department at that company has a scientist and not a marketer.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

is this going to be the standard practice now every year when a new virus pops up

if the death rate and the infection rate are really high, then yeah - I kind of suspect we will. Are you thinking this is just this years flu?

so - seriously, wha do you think we should do? Just live on and what happens happens?

EastRam

Pro Bowler

If there are new virus outbreaks hopefully people will pay attention sooner and listen to the medical field.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
No. Social distancing isn’t a bad idea until the vaccine is distributed. What I am referring to is the hoarding and panic buying of toilet paper, the selling off of stocks, projecting outlandish fatality numbers in order to generate clicks, talk of instituting curfews, stuff like that. Apocalyptic responses. You’d think I’d be more worried about it, what with all the hospitals and nursing homes I have to go into on a daily basis, but I’m not. There’s a very very good chance I’ll contract this, but as a relatively healthy adult, I know there’s an extremely slim chance it’ll be fatal. That’s where my head’s at anyway.

im with you on hoarding - that’s just selfish anyway. Selling off stocks - well, hey, thats the game. If you can predict the market, then selling high and buying low is how to play.

I don’t know how much the media is trying to drive panic to get clicks - I wouldn’t put it past the media, but I suspect that reporting worst case scenarios is pretty common practice, and to the extent that social distancing helps, letting the public know how bad this could be seems kind of responsible. What seems irresponsible would be trying to relax the public when taking it seriously could save lives.

fearsomefour

Legend
It says it's effective against cold and flu caused by Coronavirus because there's seven types of Coronavirus that have been around for a long ass time and they cause the cold and flu. It's interesting because it means the marketing department at that company has a scientist and not a marketer.

Yeah.
Wasn’t reading anything into it, just thought it was interesting it specified as my buying of that product was months ahead of this outbreak.

oldnotdead

Legend
Just an update. Got a call from my AZ National Guard nephew. They are deploying to CA!! next week. Trump doesn't trust Newsome to deploy the CA National Guard and wants to show him up. CBP told me yesterday that the border shutdown won't stop US citizens from returning for about the first 10 days, but if you go back to Mexico then expect to cross a second time they probably won't let you. So my girlfriend and I are leaving Wednesday or Thursday for Tucson. We are taking clothes, personal papers, electronics and that's all. I called my Mexican friends to come over after we are gone and take the furniture and appliances for themselves in exchange for cleaning the apartment. So we are going to Tucson and will have to start over from scratch.

Won't be the first time it's happened to me. Hope it's the last, I'm getting to old for this stuff. Gonna miss my sleep number bed though....OMG best thing except for my GF that I've slept on. ;) She just slapped me. LOL

This is so dumb. This is serious and bad but the hysteria is making it worse than it needs to be. We are just going to find a new apartment and just hunker down and spend most of our time enjoying each other......yeah she slapped me again but she was laughing. Keep your humor, stay positive and for god sake just use common sense and you all will be just fine. And just pray the regular season isn't canceled or delayed, I could care less about pre-season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
if the death rate and the infection rate are really high, then yeah - I kind of suspect we will. Are you thinking this is just this years flu?

so - seriously, wha do you think we should do? Just live on and what happens happens?
The death and infection rate for swine flu was massively higher than Wuhan flu and that was hardly talked about in the media or by people. There was no quarantining entire countries and there was no social panic. Now I'm not saying that reaction was right or wrong but look at it in logically. Close to a billion people contracted swine flu and so far per the site that keeps getting linked 307,277 confirmed cases world wide. Yes that number will grow nobody is disputing that but the reaction isn't proportional. Yes people absolutely need to take this serious and perhaps the quarantine procedures hopefully will help us so the Wuhan flu doesn't reach those levels. But there are absolutely reasons why people are reacting to the quarantines the way they are. Doesn't make anybody right or wrong just makes us humans.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Yeah.
Wasn’t reading anything into it, just thought it was interesting it specified as my buying of that product was months ahead of this outbreak.
Cool. I love conspiracy theories, but mostly because their just fun. This whole thing is starting to irk me though. All the amateur epidemiologists that haven't bothered to look up any of the free information online about are buying me. I didn't mean to be a jerk or anything.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

But it's not about you. We all know young, fit people aren't affected greatly by this virus. But older people will die a horrible death. What about when you go and meet your parents and have the virus but don't know it. What then?

This virus spreads so quickly because we have no idea who has it or What we're touching in public hasn't already been contaminated by someone else who had the virus.

Once hospitals become overwhelmed then what? That's when older people and are fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.