Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
As for the "choking on one's CO2" thing earlier... just...c'mon. Surgeons can be in surgery for 12 hours or more without a break and it's no big deal, but fucking Karen has to spend 20 minutes inside a grocery store with one on and she's convinced without any information that she's deprived of oxygen and she's choking on her own CO2?
I don’t recall saying anything close to how how that argument was framed, but I absolutely did see one of my co-workers fall out due to the combination of physical exertion and wearing a tight fitting mask. Unless I’m lying too, or am a Karen.

Yeaterday I was working in a polymer plant in 100+ degree weather. They also have a face covering requirement. Setting aside how ridiculous that is, due to the fact that it’s an enormous outside plant that generates enough heat to kill a small animal, and nobody lingers around another person for more than 15 seconds, that mask I was wearing was severely hampering my ability to catch my own breath. Until I took it off and threw in on the ground in frustration. I experienced that. I’m not a liar.

if only I was standing in an air-conditioned surgery room with a surgical mask (which is designed ONLY to keep doctors from contaminating their surgical field and open wounds) and not repairing a 1500lb elevator freight door in a pit designated as a confined space due to OSHA regulations. I think I’m owed an apology, my dude. My first-hand accounts trump that made-up housewife scenario.

C13499EA-7923-45B0-A36C-02D2E45886DC.jpeg

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And can we leave the protests out of it? That's squarely political and there are plenty of other examples for everyone to chew on without going down that rabbit hole.
It’s only political if it’s a made up argument that assigns blame to a political party or ideology. I did neither and it’s happening. Some leading health officials have even said that the risk of (insert protest cause) is more dangerous than COVID itself. I will absolutely call that out and run the risk of being censored. News outlets have severely under reported the dangers of large gatherings like that, while over reporting a handful of dudes on a beach having a party. I’ll call that out too at the risk of being censored. Even where I live, bars have to close by 11:00 pm, but a thousand people gathering in one location to decry whatever is okay. Nope. I won’t leave that out of the discussion. It’s hypocritical and doesn’t advance the idea that “we’re all in this together.”

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Sydney is on the edge of a precipice and some Fuckwits want to hold a BLM rally in the city. Stupid Fuckwits.

We've just witnessed what's happened in Victoria and how they've had to go into lock down again and these Fuckwits want to have some stupid rally that nobody in Australia gives a fuck about.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don’t recall saying anything close to how how that argument was framed, but I absolutely did see one of my co-workers fall out due to the combination of physical exertion and wearing a tight fitting mask. Unless I’m lying too, or am a Karen.

Yeaterday I was working in a polymer plant in 100+ degree weather. They also have a face covering requirement. Setting aside how ridiculous that is, due to the fact that it’s an enormous outside plant that generates enough heat to kill a small animal, and nobody lingers around another person for more than 15 seconds, that mask I was wearing was severely hampering my ability to catch my own breath. Until I took it off and threw in on the ground in frustration. I experienced that. I’m not a liar.

if only I was standing in an air-conditioned surgery room with a surgical mask (which is designed ONLY to keep doctors from contaminating their surgical field and open wounds) and not repairing a 1500lb elevator freight door in a pit designated as a confined space due to OSHA regulations. I think I’m owed an apology, my dude. My first-hand accounts trump that made-up housewife scenario.

I'm not remotely addressing your personal situation as I agree in your situation, much of the need to wear a mask is completely mitigated (although...and maybe this is just a younger guy thing which we aren't, but in Iraq and Afghanistan, there are times when they've got to wear the full gear and gas masks in 100+ degree heat, but yeah, other than that I agree)

Significant exertion coupled with excessive heat absolutely would make a mask a bad idea in all, but the most dire of circumstances (CBR attack, for example)

I know you aren't lying and I'm sorry if you thought for a second that I was inferring that. I'm not.

Now, if you were trying to equate your situation to all those Karens and Kevins out there who are bitching and moaning about wearing a mask inside a 72 degree air conditioned grocery store or Walmart... we'll, I'd just have to disagree with ya on that. THEY aren't going through what you are going through and they are acting as if they ARE in your shoes...which they are not. Not remotely.

But no way am I dismissing your situation and I do apologize if you took it as that.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
It’s only political if it’s a made up argument that assigns blame to a political party or ideology. I did neither and it’s happening. Some leading health officials have even said that the risk of (insert protest cause) is more dangerous than COVID itself. I will absolutely call that out and run the risk of being censored. News outlets have severely under reported the dangers of large gatherings like that, while over reporting a handful of dudes on a beach having a party. I’ll call that out too at the risk of being censored. Even where I live, bars have to close by 11:00 pm, but a thousand people gathering in one location to decry whatever is okay. Nope. I won’t leave that out of the discussion. It’s hypocritical and doesn’t advance the idea that “we’re all in this together.”

Well, okay. I guess that call is up to the various mods who'd weigh in on it.

Most of the BLM protests I've seen have people who are masked and it's gotten to the point that I've seen footage of people either giving out masks or asking people without masks to use social distancing guidelines.

And honestly, the use of chemical weapons on citizens no matter what they are protesting is wrong to me and I don't care if it's the KKK or Save the Whales.

I have seen Open Carry and All Lives Matter protests happen and they're just as you say... no one wearing a mask and no intention. That's just dumb. How many people do we have to see screaming into a camera "I ain't wearin' no damn mask" only to end up dead a month later from COVID??? I'd rather that not happen to anyone.

Again, I agree that it doesn't matter why they are protesting, they should mask up and where possible social distance.

I'll also agree that the logic behind so many of these COVID restrictions are capricious at best and outright corrupt at worst and they actually put people in danger for no reason other than they want to start the economy sooner without regard to the bigger question of "what's the best way to get us back to a fully functioning economy." If one's stumbling, sometimes the best thing to do is to finish falling down and get back up as opposed to an interminable period of stumbling.

If anyone is gathering for any reason without masking and trying to social distance, I'll stand with you on calling that out, be it BLM, ALM or Open Carry or whatever else is happening lately.

I would disagree if one were to assert that all of the protests are the same. They aren't.

The ultimate point (at least as far as this thread is concerned, I think) is for us to do what we have to do so that things can get back to whatever the hell normal was and so we can get back to talking shit about football.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

Sydney is on the edge of a precipice and some Fuckwits want to hold a BLM rally in the city. Stupid Fuckwits.

We've just witnessed what's happened in Victoria and how they've had to go into lock down again and these Fuckwits want to have some stupid rally that nobody in Australia gives a fuck about.

Well, by definition, if people are showing up... don't they at least give a fuck about it?

Seems unlikely they're going ironically, doesn't it?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, by definition, if people are showing up... don't they at least give a fuck about it?

Seems unlikely they're going ironically, doesn't it?

most of them probably don't give a fuck about it either. they're just there to shout and yell out some lame cliches. or whatever the fuck they do at any rally that ever existed.

1595512145521.png

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The ultimate point (at least as far as this thread is concerned, I think) is for us to do what we have to do so that things can get back to whatever the hell normal was and so we can get back to talking shit about football.
And I think everyone is in agreement with that. We just don’t all have to accept the legitimacy of the “facts” or most of the logic being employed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I would disagree if one were to assert that all of the protests are the same. They aren't.
I don’t think anyone has asserted that. It’s pretty clear that this isn’t about what it originally started out to be. This was, and is, IMO, all about seizing on a flashpoint to unleash an uprising centered around something far more nefarious than civil rights awareness. I won’t say more than that, but you did open the door.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Now, if you were trying to equate your situation to all those Karens and Kevins out there who are bitching and moaning about wearing a mask inside a 72 degree air conditioned grocery store or Walmart...
Nope. That’s theater.

bluecoconuts

Legend
There doesn’t appear to be evidence supporting the theory that protest lead to mass out breaks.

LA is basically only major current outbreak area that also had major demonstrations. NYC, Chicago, Philly, Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis aren’t having the same types of spikes for example. Seattle got a small spike from students in Greek row partying, but not from the protests or even their little autonomous zone.

Florida, Texas, and Arizona weren’t the sites of major protests either, and yet they broke out in a major way, Florida and Texas still reeling.

There actually has been some studying into the impact of the protests worldwide and found that the makeup of the crowd and PPE they wore helped prevent mass spreading at those locations.

It’s the sexy thing to point out because it’s the easy answer. Why does the sun go away at night? Obviously because a god goes up there and pulls it down, because we can see it leaves and that makes sense. Does the data and science support that though? In both cases it seems to be no.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
There actually has been some studying into the impact of the protests worldwide and found that the makeup of the crowd and PPE they wore helped prevent mass spreading at those locations.
Even if that’s the case, I’m not so much concerned about that as I am the double standard. Protesting is permissible (and in some cases encouraged), but hanging out at the beach isn’t? Thousands of people gathered in one place is totally cool. A couple hundred kids in school? OMG! They’re trying to kill kids!

The fuck outta here...
(not you, of course)

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Protesting is permissible (and in some cases encouraged), but hanging out at the beach isn’t?
-X-, we may disagree on some things (related to Covid), but I’m with ya on this one.

In some ways, hanging out at the beach is one of the safer activities out there. Wide open space, wind blowing to disperse and dilute aerosols.

Not sure if people can access this Atlantic article for free, but the title is, “Scolding Beachgoers Isn’t Helping.”

One of my favorite lines from the article:

“You’d think from the moral outrage about these beach photos that fun, in itself, transmits the virus,” the Harvard epidemiologist Julia Marcus told me. “But when people find lower-risk ways to enjoy their lives, that’s actually a public-health win.”

Cheers

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
-X-, we may disagree on some things (related to Covid), but I’m with ya on this one.

In some ways, hanging out at the beach is one of the safer activities out there. Wide open space, wind blowing to disperse and dilute aerosols.

Not sure if people can access this Atlantic article for free, but the title is, “Scolding Beachgoers Isn’t Helping.”

One of my favorite lines from the article:

“You’d think from the moral outrage about these beach photos that fun, in itself, transmits the virus,” the Harvard epidemiologist Julia Marcus told me. “But when people find lower-risk ways to enjoy their lives, that’s actually a public-health win.”

Cheers
But I thought you *cringe* when you see millions of Americans “refusing to do a simple act that can probably reduce the spread“?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The irony of hating on beachgoers is awesome cause we need Vitamin D for our immune system. Hanging indoors is what brings on shit like the flu to begin with. Notice that the flu season is the winter months? That’s cause there is less sun and everyone is primarily indoors. Hilarious

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
But I thought you *cringe* when you see millions of Americans “refusing to do a simple act that can probably reduce the spread“?
My opinions aren't as rigid and extreme as you seem to think they are, dieter.

Do I think millions of Americans still frequently don't wear masks in "hot spot" regions, even when they are indoors and can't socially distance? Yes. That's a problem.

Do I think millions of Americans still don't wear masks when they are alone in the car, or out going for a walk in the woods, or at the beach (while maintaining some distance)? Yes. And that is not a problem.

I'd prefer not to to interact with you on this thread moving forward. Sometimes it takes a lot of hard work and effort to remain civil. Not sure the give and take that you and I are having is very constructive.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My opinions aren't as rigid and extreme as you seem to think they are, dieter.
Recent poll said that 11% of Americans still do not wear masks in public. That’s a big improvement from a poll back in April, when 31% of Americans would not. So yeah, it is literally true that millions of Americans still refuse to wear masks in public.
Seem pretty rigid and extreme to me, since the poll didnt ask if they refused, only if they didnt wear.
Alas, you can feel free to block me

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Well, okay. I guess that call is up to the various mods who'd weigh in on it.

Most of the BLM protests I've seen have people who are masked and it's gotten to the point that I've seen footage of people either giving out masks or asking people without masks to use social distancing guidelines.

Gotta ask Mack, so in your ideology wearing a mask (a cloth freaking mask) trumps social distancing?

Let alone shouting through that, that cloth mask.

Unless I’m reading this wrong, that’s pretty much what you just insinuated

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.