Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reality check for those that think kids can't get the virus. Over 216,000 kids 17 and younger have gotten it to date and that figure is growing. If you figure 1% of them die then we are talking about well over 2,100 of them will die. What price is acceptable? To me, all of it is unacceptable because most of it is preventable. So people are dying because some people don't want to be inconvenienced or feel their personal liberties are being taken away by simply wearing a mask? Are you kidding me?
Reality check question, how did you come up with 1% mortality rate?
Because the CDC said the mortality rate for under 24 years old is about 7 times lower than that. You know something they don’t?
58372AA8-4FCE-4112-8369-B689B098FBB7.jpeg

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Man that's a lot of young people that have died from the virus. I think the youngest death in Australia was in their 40s.

Only 3 deaths have been under the age of 60.

14 deaths have been between 60 and 69.

The rest, 106 of them, have been people aged over 70 years.

People aged between 20 and 40 have by far the highest numbers of cases of the virus.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, and I *cringe* when I see millions of Americans refusing to do a simple act that can probably reduce the spread. We just disagree on this, man.
Oh. I just realized that you think I *cringed* at your post.
No, it was the tweet you linked in your post.
Robert Redfield, said the following: “If we could get everybody to wear a mask right now, I really think in the next four, six, eight weeks, we could bring this epidemic under control.”
Yes, I know that's the message now. (though, no message on how mass protests are fucking up the plan). That aside, continuously I posted examples of how we were told the opposite earlier in the year. Redfield is among the people who responded with "no" when asked if people should be wearing masks - as seen (here). Redfield also recently stated that kids should go back to school, because "having the schools actually closed is a greater public health threat to the children than having the schools reopen." Do you agree with that? Because the Executive branch used his statement to bolster its position on schools reopening, and now the executive is a potential murderer while Redfield remains a fabled hero of infectious disease.

And I'll say this again. I'm not anti-mask. I wear it when I'm asked to; and even where it's not required, and I see tons of people wearing them, I'll do the same in order to make them feel safer and to foster a sense of community. I'm not the guy causing a scene at a store demanding my liberties remain unmolested. I just want to uncover the truth, and any subsequent untruths I find along the way.

I'll get to the CDC website later today. Just wanted to make those couple of clarifications.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Man that's a lot of young people that have died from the virus.
By comparison though?
477 deaths last flu season (ages 1-17).

I know any death in that age bracket (that could be avoidable) is too many, but perspective is kind of important regardless. I also want it noted, for the record, that I did NOT use the word *irregardless*.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man that's a lot of young people that have died from the virus.
Really? At the time of that article, there were over 120,000 deaths in the USA attributed to Covid. 26 were under the age of 14. CDC reports that on average 12,175 kids between the ages of 0-19 die from "unintentional injuries", and that transportation was leading cause. 1 death is obviously too many, but overall in perspective its not the kids we need to be worried about. We need to be more worried about them when they just leave the house

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Oh. I just realized that you think I *cringed* at your post.
No, it was the tweet you linked in your post.

Yes, I know that's the message now. (though, no message on how mass protests are fucking up the plan). That aside, continuously I posted examples of how we were told the opposite earlier in the year. Redfield is among the people who responded with "no" when asked if people should be wearing masks - as seen (here). Redfield also recently stated that kids should go back to school, because "having the schools actually closed is a greater public health threat to the children than having the schools reopen." Do you agree with that? Because the Executive branch used his statement to bolster its position on schools reopening, and now the executive is a potential murderer while Redfield remains a fabled hero of infectious disease.

And I'll say this again. I'm not anti-mask. I wear it when I'm asked to; and even where it's not required, and I see tons of people wearing them, I'll do the same in order to make them feel safer and to foster a sense of community. I'm not the guy causing a scene at a store demanding my liberties remain unmolested. I just want to uncover the truth, and any subsequent untruths I find along the way.

I'll get to the CDC website later today. Just wanted to make those couple of clarifications.
Thanks much for posting those clarifications.

oldnotdead

Legend
There are over 140K deaths in the US. In FL alone there have been 8 newborns testing positive for COVID 19 and they have an extremely limited immunity. People look at the flu deaths of children and I say yep and the difference with the flu is that those kids were in schools. Kids have been out of school for the majority of this pandemic. Put them back in those crowded classrooms is crazy. Those child deaths will skyrocket. States were warned about opening early and ignored those warnings. Now thousands of people have needlessly died from that stupidity. Now we are being asked to do virtually the same thing with schools. WTF!!! When are people going to learn?

Premature opening of states didn't work, did it? Now they are going to do the same with schools? How does that make sense?

Do the math. 126,000 kids with COVID now and even if the death rate is .013% that 13 kids dying is ok? You open schools and that number will skyrocket. So how many kids dying is worth making a political point?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are over 140K deaths in the US. In FL alone there have been 8 newborns testing positive for COVID 19 and they have an extremely limited immunity. People look at the flu deaths of children and I say yep and the difference with the flu is that those kids were in schools. Kids have been out of school for the majority of this pandemic. Put them back in those crowded classrooms is crazy. Those child deaths will skyrocket. States were warned about opening early and ignored those warnings. Now thousands of people have needlessly died from that stupidity. Now we are being asked to do virtually the same thing with schools. WTF!!! When are people going to learn?

Premature opening of states didn't work, did it? Now they are going to do the same with schools? How does that make sense?

Do the math. 126,000 kids with COVID now and even if the death rate is .013% that 13 kids dying is ok? You open schools and that number will skyrocket. So how many kids dying is worth making a political point?
You make some bold statements which arent backed up by fact at all.
No child death is acceptable, nobody is suggesting otherwise.
The US is one of the few countries who did not have kids return to school.
Here's an interesting article about how school openings may even help keep spread at bay.

Last edited:

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
All you bastids keep ignoring the recent breaking news about Disneyland. Apparently, humans can't walk and eat at the same time in Disneyland anymore because that's an exception to the face mask wearing rule in the park (we can't bloody have that!). Gotta make sure that you choke on your own moist CO2 as you walk in 100 degree heat with your surgical mask on. Sit in those food court seats and eat that turkey leg next to a thousand of your closest friendly maskless strangers with da Covid about a foot apart!
The answer to that is simple. If we dont go they will have to rethink their policy. What good are masks if no one is going.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Reality check for those that think kids can't get the virus.
I haven't heard from any of those people. Not in the media or in conversation.

Of course they can get Covid and spread it just like everyone else. The really neat thing is they aren't getting hospitalized or dying from it...they very rarely even get mildly ill from it.

Children should be classified as carriers and extremely low risk models. Nothing more. If you're over 65 you should be hibernating whenever possible, always social distancing and being very careful. If you're over 80 you should not leave your house.

PS: I have no facts

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I haven't heard from any of those people. Not in the media or in conversation.

Of course they can get Covid and spread it just like everyone else. The really neat thing is they aren't getting hospitalized or dying from it...they very rarely even get mildly ill from it.

Children should be classified as carriers and extremely low risk models. Nothing more. If you're over 65 you should be hibernating whenever possible, always social distancing and being very careful. If you're over 80 you should not leave your house.

PS: I have no facts

Not having facts “ain’t no” requirement here on this thread mister riizen, lol, just conjecture, conjecture and yes more conjecture

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
You said that you see millions not wearing masks.
No, you don’t.
You “cringe” because an article that is nearly a month old, which polled only 579 people Says what now?
Thats precisely the problem. That poll merely said 10% of the 579 polled thought people weren’t wearing masks in public.
58 people is not “millions”
And what’s laughable is that the actual poll cams from an article which was titled:
Americans increasingly cautious as coronavirus cases surge
Since there are around 330 million folks in the USA, it seems to me to be an indisputable fact that millions of Americans are not wearing masks. Even in the hypothetical "most ardent mask supporter scenario" of 98% universal mask wearing, that would still leave 2% who were not, which would constitute several million folks.

Disclaimer: I hope you and I are in agreement that mask usage is improving in the USA. I am personally optimistic about the mask-wearing numbers improving significantly and rapidly. (I'm just disgruntled that this new-found improvement in USA mask wearing didn't happen way back in April and May. And yes, of course I am well aware of the title of the article I linked.)

And no, 58 people is not "millions". It's a poll, for goodness sakes. It's meant to be a relative sample.

Unfortunately, the poll that was mentioned in "The Hill" article doesn't seem to be a terribly good indicator, because the phrasing of the question was a bit flawed. The question asked what percentage of Americans went out in the public while wearing a mask SOMETIME IN THE PAST WEEK. So unfortunately, that means if someone wore a mask JUST ONCE in public in one week, that person could still honestly reply "yes" to the poll. Here's a link that goes into a little more detail about the ABC/Ipsos poll:

IMHO a more in-depth and nuanced poll was conducted by Gallup from June 29-July 5. The question was asked, "How often do you wear a mask when outside your home?" The options included were Always, Very Often, Sometimes, Rarely, or Never.

All told, 14% of USA adults answered "never" and another 4% said "rarely." The poll includes further breakdown of the results by age, gender, location, education, and other demographics. (And yes, the poll does indeed show differences based on political affiliation; as I have stated numerous times in this thread, I think it is unfortunate that the issue of masks was politicized, and I wish it had always been a debate about science and common sense).

So do I think that mask-usage is improving? Yes. Is it improving rapidly? Yes, I would guess that it is. I bet a poll conducted today would show significant improvement from just three weeks ago. Is there still a ways to go? IMHO, yes, or else the Surgeon General wouldn't feel the need to go on National TV to say he is "pleading and begging" (in his own words) for more Americans to use face coverings.

dieter, I know you are passionate about this issue. Sometimes you and I will see the same data and draw different conclusions. Just the way it is, I guess. Cheers.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since there are around 330 million folks in the USA, it seems to me to be an indisputable fact that millions of Americans are not wearing masks.
Is this your opinion or something from the article? Because your causation and correlation don't match up sorry.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Is this your opinion or something from the article? Because your causation and correlation don't match up sorry.
It’s from the Gallup poll I linked in my post. It states that 14% of Americans say they “never” wear masks in public. 330 million people in USA, 14% of that is 46.2 million people.

So yeah, the Gallup poll implies that 46 million Americans never wear masks in public. (Not to mention the 11% who said “sometimes” and 4% who said “rarely”... those 15% combined in the “sometimes or rarely” category would mean an additional 49.5 M folks, over and above the 46 M “never” folks.)

Granted, that 46 M “never wear masks in public” number is only a “ballpark guesstimate”, and it could be inflated for all sorts of reasons. Lots of babies and young kids, for example. Lots of older folks who are on self-quarantine and never go out in public. Lots of folks in remote areas where masks probably aren’t necessary.

But yes, IMHO those Gallup poll numbers still imply that many millions of Americans still aren’t wearing masks even in “significant risk” public places.

IMHO there is a HUGE variation based on demographics. I live in San Luis Obispo, CA. In public stores, I’d say mask use is at 99.9% Teenagers and folks under 25, though, getting together in small gatherings? I’d guess mask use is probably at 5 percent, tops. (And yeah, I can totally understand why, since I agree that their risk to themselves is infinitesimal. It’s just a bummer that young folks can spread it to other more vulnerable folks).

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since there are around 330 million folks in the USA, it seems to me to be an indisputable fact that millions of Americans are not wearing masks. Even in the hypothetical "most ardent mask supporter scenario" of 98% universal mask wearing, that would still leave 2% who were not, which would constitute several million folks.

Disclaimer: I hope you and I are in agreement that mask usage is improving in the USA. I am personally optimistic about the mask-wearing numbers improving significantly and rapidly. (I'm just disgruntled that this new-found improvement in USA mask wearing didn't happen way back in April and May. And yes, of course I am well aware of the title of the article I linked.)

And no, 58 people is not "millions". It's a poll, for goodness sakes. It's meant to be a relative sample.

Unfortunately, the poll that was mentioned in "The Hill" article doesn't seem to be a terribly good indicator, because the phrasing of the question was a bit flawed. The question asked what percentage of Americans went out in the public while wearing a mask SOMETIME IN THE PAST WEEK. So unfortunately, that means if someone wore a mask JUST ONCE in public in one week, that person could still honestly reply "yes" to the poll. Here's a link that goes into a little more detail about the ABC/Ipsos poll:

IMHO a more in-depth and nuanced poll was conducted by Gallup from June 29-July 5. The question was asked, "How often do you wear a mask when outside your home?" The options included were Always, Very Often, Sometimes, Rarely, or Never.

All told, 14% of USA adults answered "never" and another 4% said "rarely." The poll includes further breakdown of the results by age, gender, location, education, and other demographics. (And yes, the poll does indeed show differences based on political affiliation; as I have stated numerous times in this thread, I think it is unfortunate that the issue of masks was politicized, and I wish it had always been a debate about science and common sense).

So do I think that mask-usage is improving? Yes. Is it improving rapidly? Yes, I would guess that it is. I bet a poll conducted today would show significant improvement from just three weeks ago. Is there still a ways to go? IMHO, yes, or else the Surgeon General wouldn't feel the need to go on National TV to say he is "pleading and begging" (in his own words) for more Americans to use face coverings.

dieter, I know you are passionate about this issue. Sometimes you and I will see the same data and draw different conclusions. Just the way it is, I guess. Cheers.
You said you have seen millions of people not wearing masks.
then you referenced a ridiculous “poll” of 592 people.
what’s ridiculous is when people just throw out false narrative and when called out, can’t just admit the mistake.
so open your own eyes and judge what you see.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s a Gallup poll. And only the most naive can believe that the 100,000 people represent the opinions of 330,000,000. Thats .03% of the population.

Status
Not open for further replies.