Book recommendations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Dungeon Crawler Carl - this entire series is hilarious

If it doesn’t sound like your kind of thing from the back cover, it probably isn’t. If it sounds like it might be - enjoy the ride.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whether or not you're a Yankees fan the George Steinbrenner biography is a good read.

Tano

Legend
Now if you want a light easy reading non stop action

Rise of Mankind by John Walker - 10 book sci fi series

Warning - it's fairly predictable but enjoyable nonetheless

I doubt the sci-fy is accurate though. If you can just let that go - it is a fun series.

Sometimes I just want a fun series.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
“There, there”
By Tommy Orange

A very unique style of writing adds to the narrative of the modern day Native American. A brief history lesson in the beginning sets you up and then there’s a character study of many people who are en route to the big pow wow at the Oakland Coliseum. There is a big climactic event that is underscored while it is being set up through the daily lives and family histories of the modern versions of today’s Native American.

I grew up in the Bay Area (San Jose) and went to both Coliseum venues many, many times over the years. I had no idea this huge event, and what it meant to the Native American culture went on.

The book is entertaining, brilliantly written as its style changes with each character/chapter, but is heartbreaking at its core.

BLM? LGBT? The Native American situation has no political clout or reward and is a sad, excruciatingly slow genocide.
I read this last year. Excellent book. I've heard good things about the Wandering Stars as well, will hopefully get to later on this year.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
The Southern Reach Series: Annihilation, Authority, and Acceptance by Jeff Vandermeer.

A 3 part (soon to be 4 part) sci-fi/weird-fiction/horror series. An area in the coastal US gets contaminated by an unknown source (possibly alien) and government sends in exploration teams to discover what's the source. Some don't comeback at all, and some come back different. All 3 have a slightly different tone, book 2 (my favorite) reminds me of a Michael Crichton novel.

Has elements of paranoia, government cover ups, secret agencies, the occult.

The film Annihilation is a loose adaptation of the first novel. I liked it as a standalone film, but it stays too far from the source for some.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The more you read older adult-rated books you read as a teen, the more you realize all that you missed. Such is the case with Patent to Kill by April Christofferson, which came out in 2003 (and I read before 2009 and never picked it up until now). My teenaged self didn't realize just how dark that book was because holy fuck is that book dark. So many missed nuances that I simply didn't pick up on as a teen.

And I know Dan Brown gets a ton of shit, but Digital Fortress (1998) was a fucking incredible book as well, and another one I haven't read in a while. Definitely another good thriller of a book.

Last edited: