What's the first major news story you remember?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Fired? Tricky Dick would have been but he peaced out. I remember his double peace signs from the plane.
I was 4...lol.
I wasn't hip to all the details at the time.

I know now, obviously. Lol

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Challenger Space Shuttle Exploding in 86. 13 year old. Then the Stock Market Crash 87. The the Berlin Wall coming down 89.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Mine was a bad earthquake on the Big Island the caused warnings for tsunamis even on Oahu where we lived. I was like 7 or 8 years old and it was when I first really learned about tsunamis. The Locals called em tidal waves... but it was the same thing. It freaked me out and I think that's why I remember it well. 1975.

Reading some of the others listed is making me feel old af.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was 4...lol.
I wasn't hip to all the details at the time.

I know now, obviously. Lol
I was a little older, but couldn't figure out what the problem for the POTUS was in regard to a Water Park (Watergate)...lol

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mine was a bad earthquake on the Big Island the caused warnings for tsunamis even on Oahu where we lived. I was like 7 or 8 years old and it was when I first really learned about tsunamis. The Locals called em tidal waves... but it was the same thing. It freaked me out and I think that's why I remember it well. 1975.

Reading some of the others listed is making me feel old af.
Selassie walking along the beach near Sharks Cove...
1597453562057.png

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And yes, I am wearing shoes almost as old as some of you....

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
I was 5. And I was pissed because there were no cartoons on Saturday. Some guy named Kennedy had been shot in Dallas.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Reagan being shot. I was 10 at the time and it was scary somebody so much larger than life getting shot. I remember the gas lines of Jimmy Carter but that wasn’t so much a single event as a period of turmoil.

That would be the one I remember watching closest as a youngster.

Although, the 1980 US Hockey win was quite the news story before then. I remember the significance of that. Watched games with family.

If I were to crank more vague memories... I remember election night TV coverage and my parents not happy Ford lost to Carter.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
JFK assassination. Matter of fact, it’s my first memory. I was only 3 and a half.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Watergate hearings being seven in the summer of 73 at my Grandparent's lake house and watching the hearings with my Grandfather....My mother would tell me to head outside, which I did, but my Grandfather would take me fishing and catch me up to date. At that point my parents knew there was going to be a love of history.

The other tidbit I love about Watergate is that it's more relevant then a New York Knicks Championship.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I was nine when this happened. I remember when Elvis died two years earlier, but this immediately came to mind. The Grand Dragon of the KKK lived across the street from my uncle. I didn't understand what was going on, but it was practically in my back yard.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Reagan assassination attempt is first I remember. Challenger disaster was worse though... Watched with my 8th grade shop class. Our shop teacher was a grizzled, mountain of a man. I was stunned when I saw him weeping. Rough day.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Forgot about the 3 mile island accident. That was a biggie in these parts.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1973, I was only 5, but this was terrifying. Where the shooting took place was only a couple miles from my house. There was an extensive manhunt for one of the assailants, so the kids in the neighborhood were sent home from school. We were so scared that my mother had us all hide in our basement in a cedar closet which could double bolt from the inside. We stayed in there what seemed like for hours until my dad came home and told us it was safe to come out.

Thurman Munson was my idol as a kid and when he died in 1979 I cried inconsolably.

The Iran Hostage Crisis would then be next

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Just my imho History will tell you Everything in Your Future and understanding it, your children is the future.jmho

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I was 5. And I was pissed because there were no cartoons on Saturday. Some guy named Kennedy had been shot in Dallas.
Watch out Raptor...... I was 4 when mine happened and I get grief (ouch, not so sure....) for sharing. It's a tough crowd.:censored:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
This is a great question, @-X- . For me, it was Watergate, and the 1972 Olympics