TRANSCRIPT: Fisher, Schottenheimer, Walton (10/25)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post-Practice – October 25, 2013

(Opening statement)
“Practice was good. Everybody practiced except for (RB) Benny Cunningham and (CB) Cortland Finnegan was limited, so it was good.”

(On if there is a chance Cunningham will play Monday)
“He did better today than he did yesterday, so we’ll have to see.”

(On the team’s intensity)
“Well, I thought we played that game (vs. San Francisco) with intensity as well, we just didn’t win it. So, our intensity level has been good. It’s been up and they’ve been spunky and playing hard and preparing and all that. So, there’s no reason why I would think otherwise. That’s how we are. That’s what we do.”

(On the biggest challenges of facing Seattle)
“There’s three phases that are challenges for you. They’ve got, of the four core special teams units, I’m told that 43 of their 44 are veteran players. They have one rookie on their four core special teams players, to give you an example, so they’re very experienced. Then, of course, their defense is outstanding, pressure all the way around. Offensively, with his (QB Russell Wilson) mobility and his arm strength and his accuracy and then the run game makes them one of the better teams in the National Football League.”
(On how many rookies they have on their core special teams units)
“Twenty-five. Of the 44 positions, we have 25. They have one.”

(On if players double up on special teams positions)
“Oh yeah, it’s not different. It’s just if you take the 11 spots on their punt team, for example, and then 11 spots on their kickoff team. So, we’re young and they’re experienced, so we’re going to have to play smart.”

(On if he’s ever had a team with that many veterans on special teams)
“Not recently with the experience that they have.”

(On if he’s had this young of a team before)
“No, but they’re playing good right now. I’m pleased with their production.”

(On if he’s concerned about a low attendance due to fans at the Cardinals’ World Series game)
“Absolutely not, no. We’re going to broadcast what’s going on in the stadium, so whoever’s there, we’re going to keep them updated. See if we can show some highlights and keep them posted on the score.”

(On the fans being loud)
“They’ll be loud. If they come, they’re going to be loud, yeah. We expect a great crowd. It’s a great environment. Monday Night Football is a great environment.”

Rams Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer – Post-Practice – October 25, 2013

(On the production of the tight ends as a whole this season)

“We obviously knew that bringing in ‘Cookie’ (Jared Cook) would be an added advantage, but certainly Lance Kendricks is a really good football player. He produced for us last year, just gotten better. Second year in the system has certainly helped him. Cory Harkey is a guy that we got pretty lucky with finding him a couple years ago in the undrafted free agency. Really good group. Mike McNeill’s in that group, as well. But, doesn’t surprise us. Again, the way some people have been playing us, those have been some of the matchups that we’ve been able to kind of take advantage of. Good players.”

(On if he has to change the offensive approach to the game with a different starting quarterback)
“No. I think that’s the value of having a guy like (QB) Kellen (Clemens). He obviously knows the system very, very well. He’s a pro. He’s prepared. He prepares himself every week to be the guy. The game plan’s going to be specific to the Seahawks. They certainly present a lot of problems in a lot of ways. They’re a really good group. But, no we’re not changing what we’re doing. We’re just going to keep going and game plan them, and again go out and try to execute against a really good group.”

(On Clemens’ personality and what he expects to see from him on Monday night)
“As a person, he’s top notch, just a great guy, real easy-go-lucky. Again, he’s here early, stays late, works. He was great for (QB) Sam (Bradford) in the preparation part of it. It’s been kind of fun to watch Sam repay the favor now to Kellen. He’s doing some of the projects and stuff that Kellen did for him. So, that’s been fun to see. He’s going to give us everything he’s got. He’s going to be prepared. He knows what he’s doing. He doesn’t have to go out there and win the game by himself. He’ll make plays. He does a good job just understanding what we’re trying to do. When things break down he’s got some athleticism, so that’s a good thing.”

(On if he was surprised to see Bradford with the team this soon after his injury)
“No, not at all. That comes with being a leader. If anything, I’m thrilled with his approach. His development doesn’t stop. Obviously, the stuff on the field certainly is limited, but his development doesn’t stop. There’s a thousand things that he can do. He and I have discussed some of those things, and he’s excited about that. Part of being a leader and being a captain is to be out here and to help your teammates. And again, he owes a lot to Kellen for what Kellen did for him and he wants to repay the favor.”

(On if Bradford is still getting mental reps)
“Absolutely. Like I said, when you’re still considered a young quarterback the development never stops. So, he’s game planning Seattle like he’s playing and certainly we know that he won’t be out there, but his approach has not changed.”

(On playing the top three ranked defenses over the last three weeks)
“I’ll tell you what, it’s what you deal with in this league. Even the ones that are down there at 31, 32, they’re pretty good. Obviously, we know these guys. They are clearly one of the best defenses in the league. Excellent front seven. They went out and spent a lot of money on extra pass rushers. (DE Michael) Bennett’s playing at a real high level to go along with (DE Chris) Clemons and those guys. They’ve got (DE) Red Bryant, (DT Brandon) Mebane, you go down the list. (LB Bruce) Irvin’s playing more, and then the secondary is probably the best in football. You go out there and we’ve got a good plan I think. Guys have been working hard in practice and we’ll see what happens Monday night.”

(On what makes Seattle’s secondary the best in football)
“It starts, obviously, with the fact that they play all that press man-to-man on the outside. So, they’re trying to limit your ability to get off the line of scrimmage, trying to slow you down because they know they’ve got good pass rushers. Obviously, Kam Chancellor’s one of the best box safeties in the league. He’s like basically having an extra linebacker in the game, but yet he can play coverage. You’d be hard-pressed to find a better free safety than Earl Thomas – instinctive, makes plays. I think it starts, obviously, with their ability and skill set, but then it goes to the fact that they play their scheme to the fact of the way they’re built. They put those guys up, they’re press man-to-man, and say, ‘Hey, we’re going to challenge you at the line of scrimmage, let our pass rush try to get to you, then let Kam play down in the box and Earl roam free in the backend.’”

(On how he keeps the players from thinking the season’s over after Bradford’s injury)
“It’s pro football. It is what it is. Obviously, we’re disappointed for Sam. Obviously, I thought he was having a terrific year, no matter who it is guys have to step up. (Head) Coach (Jeff) Fisher does a great job at just setting the example and the environment with these guys, and again Kellen’s a guy that he’s been around the game. It’s not going to go out there and be too big for him. Will he play perfect? No. But again, he doesn’t have to win the game by himself. Again, I think it’s always helpful, like you addressed, is Sam’s here. Sam’s still into it. Sam wants to help this group, and that’s always a positive when you’ve got the guy that was placed on IR (reserve-injured). He still wants to be a part of the team.”

(On a backup quarterback always preparing to be the starter)
“I think he learned from one of the best, being under Chad Pennington. Chad was just…he’s legendary among the league when you talk about quarterbacks and how they prepared. He learned at a young age from doing that. I think it’s critical because you can’t get the mental reps. Even when he was doing the scout team the last couple weeks, he was asking (Quarterbacks Coach) Frank Cignetti to coach him every play like he was the starter – pocket movement, ‘Hey where are my eyes, check my feet.’ All these different things. He’s learned that over time, but it’s invaluable because you never know when your time’s going to come. Again, I think that his experience and the way he’s prepared for the last seven, eight years is what’s going to help him be successful in his tenure here with us.”

(On how WR Brian Quick is progressing)
“Absolutely. I think, obviously, he had a big play for us last week to start the second half. The drop in the end zone, kind of a fluke. He’ll make that play for us, but I think it goes to down to the fact he’s much more comfortable with the system. He’s playing really, really fast. We all know his skill set. Again, the quarterbacks are very, very comfortable with him. He is on the rise. He’s playing very well. He’s a good matchup even against these guys because Browner’s a big, physical guy. (CB) Richard’s (Sherman) a big, physical guy. He deserves that playing time. He’s earned it and we expect him to keep getting better.”

Rams Defensive Coordinator Tim Walton – Post-Practice – October 25, 2013

(On QB Russell Wilson)
“He is a dual threat. He can run the ball with the zone read, the zone option stuff, and then getting on the corner with bootlegs and nakeds and his ability to scramble off his drop back passes. They don’t throw the ball a ton, but he will improvise and make plays with his feet in the pass game. Like I said, we just have to be able to account for him as an extra runner in the run game outside of (RB) Marshawn Lynch.”

(On rushing the passer against a mobile quarterback)
“Yes, we have to have a balanced rush lane against him at all times. He will step up in the pocket and try to lose you that way. Then sometimes he will try to abort the rush and try to come out on one side and try to get out on the edge. So, he does both so we have to be very disciplined in our pass rush lane, and we have to be very disciplined in the run game also because he will pull the ball and run it on designed runs just as much. Obviously, they’re going to give the ball to Marshawn more, but he will have plays where he will pull it and run it and he has to be accounted for – good in space.”

(On what makes Lynch special)
“Toughness and he’s pretty elusive. He operates well in space. He has good vision and, like I said, he understands the game. He’s a downhill runner but he has the ability to operate well in space. It’s the way he plays the game with his tenacity. We have to make sure we’re bringing it against him.”

(On the Seahawks receiving corps)
“Yeah, they have guys. Golden Taint, he’s a great run after catch guy. He does well catching short passes and turning them into long gains. Sidney Rice, he’s played well in this league also, has some size on him. So, he has some viable weapons outside that are reliable guys that he can go to. Like I said the same thing every Sunday, we have to be disciplined and reliable at all positions because they have weapons that they can go to.”

(On how they prepare unsure if WR Percy Harvin will play)
“You just have to go in and understand that if he does play, you have to win your outside battles with him. Hopefully, if he does, he doesn’t get as many touches with him just coming back off of his injury, but he’s an excellent player. We have to mix it up and, if he’s in there, be ready to do some stuff in pass coverage with him because he’s a threat as well. He’s a big time player when he’s healthy.”

(On if he thinks they’ve made strides in run defense last week)
“Yeah, we made some strides. We handled the two backs pretty good, kind of holding them down around 76 yards for both of those guys. It just gets to the point when you also have those quarterbacks, they add a dimension. Now you have to account for two different guys. We had it with (QB Cam) Newton last week and now we have it again with Russell Wilson. We did take some strides in it, but we have to continue to get better each week.”

(On how it would help to get CB Cortland Finnegan back this week)
“It would be great. The leadership and he has a lot of playing experience. He has that toughness and it would be good to get him back out there and get him going. He brings energy to the defense, energy to the team and that toughness and competitive attitude.”

(On what he told DE Chris Long about not being able to retaliate)
“You just have to be under control and be poised, but go play the game. You have to go play the game and still be aggressive in the way he plays the game and all that. But if the whistle blows, we just have to make sure we keep our level heads.”

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well... I like hearing this:

(On how WR Brian Quick is progressing)
“Absolutely. I think, obviously, he had a big play for us last week to start the second half. The drop in the end zone, kind of a fluke. He’ll make that play for us, but I think it goes to down to the fact he’s much more comfortable with the system. He’s playing really, really fast. We all know his skill set. Again, the quarterbacks are very, very comfortable with him. He is on the rise. He’s playing very well. He’s a good matchup even against these guys because Browner’s a big, physical guy. (CB) Richard’s (Sherman) a big, physical guy. He deserves that playing time. He’s earned it and we expect him to keep getting better.”

In this game, with those CB's, Quick should get lots of reps.

jap

Legend
Well... I like hearing this:

In this game, with those CB's, Quick should get lots of reps.

Let's see if Brian can atone for last week's drop. We really need to get the TE's going in this one too. Let's just beat up! the Seattle secondary!

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
What really stands out is talking about how they (Seattle) play so much press coverage. I wish we did more often. The longer you make the WR work to get open the more time the DL has to get to the QB. I just hate how much cushion we give sometimes and I don't really get it. Get up and make the WR's work for every damn inch.