The Jeff Fisher leverage game is working

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Posted by Mike Florio on January 4, 2012, 4:35 PM EST
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/04/the-jeff-fisher-leverage-game-is-working/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-working/</a>

Earlier today, we pointed out that free-agent coach Jeff Fisher — the only “A”-list coach in the 2012 hiring cycle — has adroitly commenced the process of building leverage for a great job offer by making it known that he left Miami with a good impression of the Dolphins and owner Stephen Ross.

And so, like the only pair of Air Jordan XI Concords at the local Foot Locker, the kids will all be clamoring for their shot at Fisher, before it’s too late.

According to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, the Dolphins plan to pay whatever it takes to get Fisher. “The Dolphins are prepared to make Jeff Fisher the best financial offer of any team vying for the coach this winter,” Salguero writes, citing an NFL source and a source close to Ross.

It’s another example of the klutzy, clumsy manner in which Ross has been running the team. Though Ross surely thinks that he’ll be able to scare away any other suitors simply by making it known that they shouldn’t bother to compete for Fisher’s services, Ross may be inviting one or more of his fellow billionaires to get into a bidding war — even if one or more of the others are hoping only to drive up the price that Ross eventually pays.

The biggest drawback to forcing Ross to overspend is that a curve-blowing deal for Fisher will raise the bar for all other coaches. Still, when operating in a small fraternity of really rich guys who are accustomed to getting their way, it’s never wise for one of them to try to dictate to the rest that he intends to get his way.

Either way, Fisher will win — if his goal is to get paid a lot of money.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bid-auction-electronic-bytes.jpg

Sold...

STL-Rams

Starter
as you point out, if nothing else, the Dolphins are driving up his price- and that's a win for Fisher.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
One thing I find interesting about all these HC searches going on now is it looks like Fisher is the "big domino" that will fall first. One question I have is what happened to former SB winning coaches like Gruden, Cowher, or Billick? Are these guys we will look at if Fisher goes to Miami?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
JdashSTL said:
One thing I find interesting about all these HC searches going on now is it looks like Fisher is the "big domino" that will fall first. One question I have is what happened to former SB winning coaches like Gruden, Cowher, or Billick? Are these guys we will look at if Fisher goes to Miami?

Gruden- Said he isn't going anywhere.

Cowher- No desire, and I wouldn't want him here anyway, knowing that we'd be going through another coaching search in as little as 3 years.

Billick- NO.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Angry Ram said:
JdashSTL said:

Cowher- No desire, and I wouldn't want him here anyway, knowing that we'd be going through another coaching search in as little as 3 years.

Billick- NO.

Why dont you like Billick?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
JdashSTL said:
Angry Ram said:
JdashSTL said:

Billick- NO.

Maybe it's because he is psychotic.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
RamFan503 said:
JdashSTL said:
Angry Ram said:
JdashSTL said:

Billick- NO.

Maybe it's because he is psychotic.

Oh, well I was just curious because I literally had no idea what he was like as a HC. Payed very little attention to the Ravens.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Because Billick never did crap. He and Ray Lewis would get into shouting matches on the radio. The offensive guru, as he was known, when was the last time ever you thought offense and Ravens at the same time?

No more past failures...no more. Hire a guy and have him be here for a long time.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'll be honest, whenever I hear about a player or a coach who is talking about going to the highest bidder, I always think "Pass."

I want someone who wants to be in St. Louis because they believe they can win and produce.. Not because they offered the most money.

Anonymous

bluecoconuts said:
I'll be honest, whenever I hear about a player or a coach who is talking about going to the highest bidder, I always think "Pass."

I want someone who wants to be in St. Louis because they believe they can win and produce.. Not because they offered the most money.

So goodbye Pujols! :lmao: That said I won't begrudge anyone playing employers off each other to increase their salary. I've been in the same position before (albeit fewer zeros :bummed: ) and increased the initial offer by 75%. :sly:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:

I think Fisher will end up where he wants to be, and not just because of the money.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
squeaky wheel said:
bluecoconuts said:

So goodbye Pujols! :lmao: That said I won't begrudge anyone playing employers off each other to increase their salary. I've been in the same position before (albeit fewer zeros :bummed: ) and increased the initial offer by 75%. :sly:

Was that before or after tips? I keed - I keed. :sly:

Anonymous

RamFan503 said:
squeaky wheel said:
bluecoconuts said:

Seemingly spoken like someone in the know. Do you keep your employees tips? :nono: OCCUPY: Pig Feathers! :lmao: j/k.....seriously JUST KIDDING! :tooth:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
squeaky wheel said:
RamFan503 said:
squeaky wheel said:
bluecoconuts said:

Seemingly spoken like someone in the know. Do you keep your employees tips? :nono: OCCUPY: Pig Feathers! :lmao: j/k.....seriously JUST KIDDING! :tooth:

I get yuh Squeak. And to answer your question - NO. Mind you it is partially because I simply don't want to get in the middle of what they claim (makes it cleaner for me), but also, I just don't like the idea of holding on to their money so that I can somehow decide if there is a piece of it I could claim. Worked for way to many of those A-holes over the years.

Anonymous

RamFan503 said:
squeaky wheel said:
RamFan503 said:
squeaky wheel said:
bluecoconuts said:

I get yuh Squeak. And to answer your question - NO. Mind you it is partially because I simply don't want to get in the middle of what they claim (makes it cleaner for me), but also, I just don't like the idea of holding on to their money so that I can somehow decide if there is a piece of it I could claim. Worked for way to many of those A-holes over the years.

That reminds me.....when I leave a tip on the card is that at the sole discretion of management how much (if any) goes to the employee?

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we get Fisher, Bradford's gone. It's that simple. From what I've read or seen from what has been posted here, he has already made up his mind or has made it known he doesn't like Sam. This could turn into a complete FUBAR choice for the team if he butts heads with Sam.
I want to add, there are a lot of talking heads that absolutely love Fisher and think if the Rams get him, that it's the score of the century for the "losing" franchise. So, if he does come in and trades Sam and goes with a draft pick QB, maybe he knows what he's doing. He did work for the worst owner for many years and was always in the hunt.
I also read where 9 of the 12 coaches in the playoffs this year were new guys and not seasoned vet coaches.
What the heck do we do? This is interesting for sure.

Anonymous

RamsSince1969 said:
If we get Fisher, Bradford's gone. It's that simple. From what I've read or seen from what has been posted here, he has already made up his mind or has made it known he doesn't like Sam. This could turn into a complete FUBAR choice for a coach and the team. Please Miami, take this guy before he sets us back another 5 years.

No way. You're reading an inexplicably lukewarm to hostile majority here that is too invested in Spag love to see this situation clearly. Fisher is a great HC. I've followed his career with the Oilers and Titans and we would be getting a top notch HC that knows talent and how to coach it. He perfectly fits the experienced HC criteria hinted at by the Rams. Since Martz I've wanted Fisher as the Rams HC. It will be a great day should he sign with the Rams. Do it Stan.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Angry Ram said:
Because Billick never did crap. He and Ray Lewis would get into shouting matches on the radio. The offensive guru, as he was known, when was the last time ever you thought offense and Ravens at the same time?

No more past failures...no more. Hire a guy and have him be here for a long time.

Yeah, I live in MD and saw a LOT of Billick and he is an egomaniac to the nth degree. Same dude who broke the bank for Elvis Grbac after winning the super bowl with Dilfer......