Statement from Spags

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lesson

Oh, really?
“I want to first thank every player and coach for their work ethic, character and loyalty throughout our three years together. I know each one of us firmly believes a solid foundation has been built and although not all of us will be here to experience it, this foundation will propel the team to great success in the near future.
“I also want to thank Chip Rosenbloom, Lucia Rodriguez and Stan Kroenke for their decision to bring me here three years ago. I truly appreciate the opportunity they gave me.
“I want to pass along deep gratitude toward every Rams employee for their ‘behind the scenes efforts and loyalty’ and for embracing Maria and I throughout our time here.
“I want to thank every Rams fan for their passionate support. I apologize for not bringing enough success for them to enjoy this past season. You deserve more!
“It has been a privilege and an honor to represent this franchise as its head coach and I wish nothing but success for the organization going forward. I will always pull for the Rams. Maria and I feel blessed to have been a part of this city and we’ll continue to have caring hearts for the people of St. Louis. God Bless.”

No mention of Billy? :what:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Lesson said:
“I want to first thank every player and coach for their work ethic, character and loyalty throughout our three years together. I know each one of us firmly believes a solid foundation has been built and although not all of us will be here to experience it, this foundation will propel the team to great success in the near future.
“I also want to thank Chip Rosenbloom, Lucia Rodriguez and Stan Kroenke for their decision to bring me here three years ago. I truly appreciate the opportunity they gave me.
“I want to pass along deep gratitude toward every Rams employee for their ‘behind the scenes efforts and loyalty’ and for embracing Maria and I throughout our time here.
“I want to thank every Rams fan for their passionate support. I apologize for not bringing enough success for them to enjoy this past season. You deserve more!
“It has been a privilege and an honor to represent this franchise as its head coach and I wish nothing but success for the organization going forward. I will always pull for the Rams. Maria and I feel blessed to have been a part of this city and we’ll continue to have caring hearts for the people of St. Louis. God Bless.”

I guess we all read into things, this could obviously be an accidental slight, but the more I listen to interviews, and the more I read statements, and add my own instincts and insights compiled this season, that there was a definite disconnect between Spags and Devaney.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:

I guess we all read into things, this could obviously be an accidental slight, but the more I listen to interviews, and the more I read statements, and add my own instincts and insights compiled this season, that there was a definite disconnect between Spags and Devaney.

That makes sense. I feel like Devaney completely disappeared during most of the season.

Lesson

Oh, really?
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:

We'll see.

Demoff didn't make it sound that way.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Thanks Spags. You are a class act.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Lesson said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:

We'll see.

Demoff didn't make it sound that way.
I don't know if we will ever see, but Spags and Billy are both gone.

Anonymous

DR RAM said:
Lesson said:

Why mention Devaney at all? No need.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:

Well, Devaney did hire him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
squeaky wheel said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:

Yeah, seems like a pretty big slight, or oversight, however you look at it.

Anonymous

X said:
squeaky wheel said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:

I don't see that.. Most likely Shaw/Chip/Kroenke made the call.

Lesson

Oh, really?
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
squeaky wheel said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:

No, Spags' was Devaney's guy.

Chip wanted Leslie Frazier, but said Devaney would hire who he wanted to hire.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
squeaky wheel said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:

ST. LOUIS, Mo. (KMOX) — St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke has made the franchise’s first resolutions of 2012 by firing head coach Steve Spagnuolo and general manager Billy Devaney after a disappointing 2-14 season that finally came to a conclusion on New Years Day. Monday morning, the Rams made an official release that Spagnuolo and Devaney will not be back with the Rams next season.

“I would like to personally thank Steve and Billy for their dedication to the St. Louis Rams organization over the past several seasons,” said Kroenke. “This was a difficult decision for many reasons. We have tremendous respect for Steve and Billy as people and football professionals.

“No one individual is to blame for this disappointing season and we all must hold ourselves accountable. However, we believe it’s in the best interest of the St. Louis Rams to make theses changes as we continue our quest to build a team that consistently competes for playoffs and championships. We wish Steve, Billy and their families the very best in the future and thank them again for their commitment to our organization and the city of St. Louis.”

The likelihood of a change became expected following the Rams seventh straight loss, a 34-27 near rally to the playoff-bound rival San Francisco 49ers. Under Spagnuolo, who was hired by Billy Devaney in January of 2009, the Rams went just 10-38.

Expectations were high entering the 2011 season when the Rams were one win shy of making the playoffs for the time since 2004. Following a 4-0 preseason, the first for the Rams since 1979, hype only grew in St. Louis. Yet, the excitement quickly went away as the 2011-12 team lost their first six games by an average of 19.2 points.

To make things worse, the Rams were dealing with new injuries each week at just about every position, especially in the secondary where ten cornerbacks eventually were put on injured reserve during the past four months. Each week, the coach would need anywhere from a thirty seconds to a few minutes to go through injury updates the day after a game. And each week, coach Spagnuolo

New Year’s afternoon, the coach on the hot seat had his usual optimistic attitude at the post game press conference stating ‘there was tremendous growth’ during the 2-14 season. He was referring more to the character of individuals as he did say it takes the right people when building something. Spagnuolo’s character was certainly never a question, but unfortunately what he was producing was not good enough in a business that demands results.

When asked to comment on what the next step would be, and if he would plan to meet with owner Stan Kroenke, the tried to sidestep the issue by saying, “We’ve got the meetings with the players. The exit physicals and interviews with the coaches. There’ll be time for all the other stuff after, but right now it’s about what happened today and our players.”

Following a few more questions about the Rams loss to the 49ers, Spagnuolo was asked if he ever thought during the game that it was possibly his last game, “No, I don’t go there. I think you know me well enough. In the middle of that game in the fourth quarter as exciting as it was? No.”

Billy Devaney was hired by the Rams in February 2008. He was made vice president of pro personnel and then promoted to general manager later that year in December. The next month, Devaney hired Steve Spagnuolo.

------------------------

See it now?

Anonymous

X said:
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
squeaky wheel said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:

ST. LOUIS, Mo. (KMOX) — St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke has made the franchise’s first resolutions of 2012 by firing head coach Steve Spagnuolo and general manager Billy Devaney after a disappointing 2-14 season that finally came to a conclusion on New Years Day. Monday morning, the Rams made an official release that Spagnuolo and Devaney will not be back with the Rams next season.

“I would like to personally thank Steve and Billy for their dedication to the St. Louis Rams organization over the past several seasons,” said Kroenke. “This was a difficult decision for many reasons. We have tremendous respect for Steve and Billy as people and football professionals.

“No one individual is to blame for this disappointing season and we all must hold ourselves accountable. However, we believe it’s in the best interest of the St. Louis Rams to make theses changes as we continue our quest to build a team that consistently competes for playoffs and championships. We wish Steve, Billy and their families the very best in the future and thank them again for their commitment to our organization and the city of St. Louis.”

The likelihood of a change became expected following the Rams seventh straight loss, a 34-27 near rally to the playoff-bound rival San Francisco 49ers. Under Spagnuolo, who was hired by Billy Devaney in January of 2009, the Rams went just 10-38.

Expectations were high entering the 2011 season when the Rams were one win shy of making the playoffs for the time since 2004. Following a 4-0 preseason, the first for the Rams since 1979, hype only grew in St. Louis. Yet, the excitement quickly went away as the 2011-12 team lost their first six games by an average of 19.2 points.

To make things worse, the Rams were dealing with new injuries each week at just about every position, especially in the secondary where ten cornerbacks eventually were put on injured reserve during the past four months. Each week, the coach would need anywhere from a thirty seconds to a few minutes to go through injury updates the day after a game. And each week, coach Spagnuolo

New Year’s afternoon, the coach on the hot seat had his usual optimistic attitude at the post game press conference stating ‘there was tremendous growth’ during the 2-14 season. He was referring more to the character of individuals as he did say it takes the right people when building something. Spagnuolo’s character was certainly never a question, but unfortunately what he was producing was not good enough in a business that demands results.

When asked to comment on what the next step would be, and if he would plan to meet with owner Stan Kroenke, the tried to sidestep the issue by saying, “We’ve got the meetings with the players. The exit physicals and interviews with the coaches. There’ll be time for all the other stuff after, but right now it’s about what happened today and our players.”

Following a few more questions about the Rams loss to the 49ers, Spagnuolo was asked if he ever thought during the game that it was possibly his last game, “No, I don’t go there. I think you know me well enough. In the middle of that game in the fourth quarter as exciting as it was? No.”

Billy Devaney was hired by the Rams in February 2008. He was made vice president of pro personnel and then promoted to general manager later that year in December. The next month, Devaney hired Steve Spagnuolo.

------------------------

See it now?

Crystal clear. Thank you X.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
No problem. So, do you think he should have mentioned him?

Anonymous

X said:
squeaky wheel said:
No problem. So, do you think he should have mentioned him?

No. Hiring Spags may well have figured prominently in Devaney's dismissal. Now if something else from Spags or Devaney is released that sheds more light...then it's possible.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Here's a small example: a Fox 2 Sports crew stopped by the Spagnuolo home to see if the couple had anything to say about the news. They did not grant interviews but Maria Spagnuolo gave the crew two pies.

Say what you want about Spags' coaching tenure here, but he and his wife are two amazing people who were making a difference in the community.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Lesson said:
Here's a small example: a Fox 2 Sports crew stopped by the Spagnuolo home to see if the couple had anything to say about the news. They did not grant interviews but Maria Spagnuolo gave the crew two pies.

Say what you want about Spags' coaching tenure here, but he and his wife are two amazing people who were making a difference in the community.
Yeah, but did they give Devaney pies???

Lesson

Oh, really?
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:

Yeah, but did they give Devaney pies???

They gave Todd Hewitt a pie.

And a middle finger.

:ww:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Lesson said:

But seriously, what all do they do for the community?