Rams shooting for league sacks title

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Jim Thomas

[pd]2057750564001[/pd]

Even before the start of the 2012 campaign, Rams defensive line coach Mike Waufle challenged his unit to set the NFL’s single-season sacks record. A lofty goal to be sure, but the message obviously was motivational in nature.

As things turned out the Rams might have to “settle” for leading the league in sacks. Entering the final week of the regular season, the Rams are in a tight race with three other teams for the NFL sack title. Denver leads the way with 48, followed by Cincinnati (47) and the Rams and Green Bay with 46 each.

Obviously, finding a way to beat red-hot Seattle is Job 1 on Sunday at CenturyLink Field, but leading the league in sacks is something the defensive line in particular would like to accomplish.

“You know, it’d be great for our unit,” defensive end Chris Long said. “Down the entire line we really have good depth and good talent. And everybody just plays for the unit. There’s no selfishness and we’re like a group of brothers. So it’d be awesome for us to kind of have that. And that does motivate us.”

Since the move to St. Louis in 1995, the Rams have finished first in sacks only once — tying for the league lead with Jacksonville with 57 during the 1999 Super Bowl championship season. Kevin Carter led the NFL in sacks that year, with 17.

The Rams top two pass-rushers in terms of sacks this season — Robert Quinn and Long — have 18 sacks combined so far. That in part says a lot about how the Rams are getting it done with the pass rush this season.

Make no mistake, Long and Quinn are still the focal points for opposing blockers, facing double teams and chip-blocking on a consistent basis. But it’s definitely a group effort.

The Rams have seven defenders with three or more sacks, led by Quinn’s 9½ and Long’s 8½. But role player deluxe William Hayes continues his career year with six sacks, and Michael Brockers (four) is providing an inside push.

“We’re spreading the sacks around,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “When we need to generate pressure, we can manufacture pressure (via the blitz). When you look around and the DBs and linebackers have some sacks here and there, it means that you’re multiple on defense.

“I think the key the last three or four weeks for us has been our non-starting defensive linemen. Talking about William (Hayes), and (Jermelle) Cudjo, and Eugene (Sims) — these guys are coming in and filling in for the four starters in the rotation, and they’ve been very productive.”

The fact that so many teammates have contributed to the sack total makes a possible sack title more meaningful as far as Long is concerned.

“It certainly does fall on the d-line’s shoulders,” Long said. “If we didn’t have a lot of sacks people would say: ‘What’s wrong with the defensive line?’ But I’m going to go the other way and say it’s a team statistic.

“I really do believe that while we do have a hand in it, we have some corners and safeties that are really good at blitzing. They work hard at that stuff. It matters the way they bring it. And the calls are great. It’s a byproduct of all those things, so it’s really a team statistic.”

Rams defenses have finished in the top 10 in sacks seven times previously since the move to St. Louis, most recently in 2010 when the team registered 43 sacks to finish seventh.

But one must go all the way back to the 2000 season to find a Rams team with more sacks than the 46 the Rams have this season, again with a game to go.

The Rams had 51 sacks in ’00, the 57 in ’99, and 50 in ’98 for their only seasons with 50 or more sacks in St. Louis. They probably need to get to 50 or more to win the sack title this season.

“It’s a big deal,” said Hayes about the possibility of leading the league. “Due to the fact that this is a group that hasn’t really had a lot of experience as a defensive line as a whole. It’s a new unit playing with each other. So I think it just basically sets the standard for next year, and the years to come.”

This season’s sack total is more impressive considering the fact that the Rams have been involved in tight games all season. In 11 of the Rams’ 15 games, their largest lead has been nine points or less.

And in 15 hours, 29 minutes, and 34 seconds of clock time this season — a total inflated by the two overtime games against San Francisco — the Rams have led for only 4 hours, 47 minutes, and 57 seconds, or less than one-third of the time.

One of the easiest times to rush the passer is with the lead, particularly a big lead, because the opposing team is forced to throw the ball. Unlike, for example the ’99 Super Bowl championship team which rarely trailed, the 2012 Rams haven’t had that luxury often this season.

Getting ahead of the Seahawks, much less getting to jitterbug Russell Wilson, will be huge chores Sunday. The rookie quarterback has been sacked 27 times this season, but is an adept scrambler.

As of Wednesday, Rams players were still early in some of their film study of the Seahawks. But when asked if he’d seen some of Wilson’s amazing scrambles last week against San Francisco, Long replied: “I do watch ESPN. He’s an unbelievable athlete.”

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I friggin' love it. I'd poop myself if Long and Quinn could end the year in double digits, especially since it'd mean beating the piss out of Sea Bitches.

bluecoconuts

Legend
How many sacks did we get on Wilson last time? I thought we did a good job of keeping him in the pocket.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
not sure how many sacks but the D contained him and mae him throw some picks. I remeber during the game the announcer said that everytime the Rams D stunted or twisted in the midle of the line RW looked lost cuz he couldnt see down field, if we make him move into the arms of Long and Quinn lookin for a lane they just may get double digit sacks, also the way RW likes to run backwards could help Quinn get a few due to his speed.