Rams Doing Due Diligence On Clowney

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VARAMS

UDFA
Name
Dano
The old adage that "you take the best player available regardless of need" would hold true .... IF they don't trade out and IF he passes all their concerns. They won't reach for a player at #2 just because of need. WE don't know how their board stacks up.... but I bet their top 3-4 look something like this
Clowney
Watkins
Matthews/Robinson

Do your due diligence and IF you have the #1 rated in that group sitting there when you pick ... then by all means you draft him. But I'm sure their first choice is to trade out and compile some more picks... both this year and future.
EXACTLY!!!! Washington gave the Rams a gift - "Blue Chip" pick for best player available not player of need. If no one provides a real good trade we pick Clowney or Watkins with 1.2. We can pick player of need with 1.13 (OL, S, CB). It's a gift that keeps on giving 8 - 10 years down the road!!

laramsoriginal

Starter
I hoping the rams trade down into the bottom of the top 10 while acquiring multiple 2nd round picks. Rams can also trade down to the late teens or early 20's and acquire another 2nd rounder. So after the 2 trade downs, rams can still have a draft pick in the top 10 and in the top 21ish....plus 3 2nd round picks. Because of the salary cap, if you can build your team from the draft then your organization can have sustainable success in the nfl due to the low salaries being paid out.

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I want Watkins. I don't think the Rams should try and get too cute.

If they did go with Clowney, I still think they need another Receiver. Quick didn't show enough of a "jump" in production to warrant relying on him. Take Clowney and Evans. Fix the OLine in rds 2 and 3. Sign Byrd as a FA.
Snead did say the WR class is deep. He said something like the 15th receiver drafted in this draft could be a starter. I prefer Watkins myself.. and If we don't get Watkins, i'd be cool with Clowney.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Clowney - 6'5.25" 266 pounds 34.5" arms

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You guys/gals probably read what I did about Chris Long getting up there in age and Clowney makes a for a great rotation for 2014 and cut Chris loose in 2015. We all love Chris, rock solid, great guy, great locker room presence, but he is going to be 30+ here real soon with a large hit on the salary cap. It's business and Clowney at the rookie/intro salary level for the first years makes him a steal. So, it won't be a big surprise to me if they grab him at #2, especially with Fisher and Williams wanting to have possibly the best defensive front in all of football for the next season. Mix that line in the with crazy Williams blitz schemes, look out!!!!!! 85 Bears, 2013 Seachickens, 2014 Rams? Quite possibly. If the QB has no time to throw, no running game, total defensive domination. We shall see where this goes real quick.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You guys/gals probably read what I did about Chris Long getting up there in age and Clowney makes a for a great rotation for 2014 and cut Chris loose in 2015. We all love Chris, rock solid, great guy, great locker room presence, but he is going to be 30+ here real soon with a large hit on the salary cap. It's business and Clowney at the rookie/intro salary level for the first years makes him a steal. So, it won't be a big surprise to me if they grab him at #2, especially with Fisher and Williams wanting to have possibly the best defensive front in all of football for the next season. Mix that line in the with crazy Williams blitz schemes, look out!!!!!! 85 Bears, 2013 Seachickens, 2014 Rams? Quite possibly. If the QB has no time to throw, no running game, total defensive domination. We shall see where this goes real quick.

True Chris Long is moving into the top 20's in age & true on the very large Cap hit. I just do not think the Org. is looking anywhere close in the direction of CL. I also do not think that CL will have any major figuring in with the possible selection of Jadeveon. DE's like CL do play well into their 30's effectively. CL is and will remain one of the key Ram veterans that Snead & Fisher will continue to build on.

I have been listening to NFL Network conversations on where Jadeveon will play some say DT in a 34, some say OSLB'er in a 34 most say RDE in a 43, I have even heard inside Lb'er in the 34. Guess a superfast 6-5 266 pounds OLb'er maybe in Jadeveon future. The Rams are are flat super thick @ DE & little thin @ DT in addition lacking a true pass rushing DT. The OSLB'er is a middle need if Dunbar departs.

Rams did not use as many DE's in their DL rotation 2013 as they used in 2012 .....Fisher used more Brockers/Langford in the passing defense. Not real sure if the Rams will reverse this trend Langford looked good & got better as the yr went on.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Why not just go after a pass rushing DT in the 2nd round? I would rather see the rams draft a CB in the first than a DE or even WR. Seattle had a good pair of CB's....rams could use a great cb

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Snead did say the WR class is deep. He said something like the 15th receiver drafted in this draft could be a starter. I prefer Watkins myself.. and If we don't get Watkins, i'd be cool with Clowney.
There's a difference though between starter and #1.

We shouldn't bother drafting a WR if we don't think there's a pretty good shot he'll be a #1.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Why not just go after a pass rushing DT in the 2nd round? I would rather see the rams draft a CB in the first than a DE or even WR. Seattle had a good pair of CB's....rams could use a great cb

I was always hoping if Snead traded with the Browns & we were able to get that first round #26 pick that Aaron Donald would be a great pass rushing DT to add to our DL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was always hoping if Snead traded with the Browns & we were able to get that first round #26 pick that Aaron Donald would be a great pass rushing DT to add to our DL.

Just don't let Seattle have Donald. They reportedly love him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just don't let Seattle have Donald. They reportedly love him.
Another good reason then to seek that pick from the Browns then.... because when you watch the film on this short guy...well he is unstoppable!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Jadeveon Clowney Combine Press Conference –Video

th

lockdnram21

Legend
I want Watkins. I don't think the Rams should try and get too cute.

If they did go with Clowney, I still think they need another Receiver. Quick didn't show enough of a "jump" in production to warrant relying on him. Take Clowney and Evans. Fix the OLine in rds 2 and 3. Sign Byrd as a FA.

it wasnt Quicks fault clemens didnt throw him the ball. we didnt throw the ball that much. once we started running with stacy it opened up the passing game. fix the o line and we will be fine on offense.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I think a converted LB - DE Barr would be better then Clowney and you can probably trade down from 2 and get Barr + something.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/4083/clowney-i-wish-falcons-could-trade-up

Clowney: 'I wish Falcons could trade up'
By Vaughn McClure | ESPN.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- As he strolled down the hallway moments after addressing a large contingent of NFL combine reporters, South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowneypaused for a moment as he pondered an inquiry about the Atlanta Falcons.

"I wish they could trade up for me," Clowney told ESPN.com, "but I hope I don’t fall to No. 6. I like Atlanta – a lot. They’re pretty good. They’ve got some guys from South Carolina on the team, also. And it’s close to home."

AP Photo/Stephen Morton

Jadeveon Clowney would fit the Atlanta Falcons' need for an impact pass-rusher.
The 6-foot-5, 266-pound Clowney is touted as the most athletically gifted player in this year’s draft class. The Falcons desperately need to improve their pass rush, but Clowney is unlikely to be available if they keep the sixth overall pick.

However, Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said during the Senior Bowl that he would keep open the option of trading up. He reiterated his stance this week at the combine.

"I’ve said that from Day 1 since 2008 that I always want to have the light on for business," Dimitroff said. "I never want to be one of those teams that people pick up the phone and they quickly throw the phone back down and hesitate to reach out thinking that we’re not going to be straight up. … Whenever you’re able to cultivate trades, it’s about being honest with people in your dealings. And I think that we’ve done a nice job with that. And we’re always going to be open for business."

Dimitroff pulled the trigger on a blockbuster deal before, when he surrendered five draft picks in order to move up from the 27th overall pick to sixth for game-changing receiver Julio Jones in 2011. Dimitroff admitted trading up from the sixth overall pick this year would be less taxing.

"Yes, in the top 10, I believe it’s a little easier to move around," he said.

Clowney maintained he wants to be the No. 1 overall pick to Houston, but the Texans could target a quarterback for new head coach Bill O’Brien. St. Louis, with the second pick, and Jacksonville, with the third, both have expressed a willingness to trade down. Rams general manager Les Snead and Jaguars general manager David Caldwell worked under Dimitroff in Atlanta.

As for Clowney, he seems likely to solidify his high draft status with strong workouts at the combine. Defensive linemen take the field on Monday.

Clowney hadn’t met with any teams as of Saturday afternoon because flight issues got him into Indianapolis late Friday night. He said he anticipated running the 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds and boasted that his speed is his greatest asset.

Clowney addressed the issue of his work ethic when asked about South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier's recent comments about other players he coached working harder.

"I believe I did work hard," Clowney said at the podium. "You pull out any practice tape from last year, you’ll see that. I’ll tell anybody that. I’m always going to be working hard. No matter where I end up, I’m going to work hard and give the team everything I’ve got."

As Clowney mentioned, defensive tackle Travian Robertson, fullback Patrick DiMarco, and defensive end Cliff Matthews are the three Falcons from South Carolina.

it wasnt Quicks fault clemens didnt throw him the ball. we didnt throw the ball that much. once we started running with stacy it opened up the passing game. fix the o line and we will be fine on offense.

Who's fault was it? Stedman had no problem getting passes from Clemens.