Rams Doing Due Diligence On Clowney

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
Ian Rapoport on NFL Network just said the Rams are doing due diligence on Clowney and have “descended on Rock Hill, SC.”

You guys think if everything comes back good and he has a great combine the Rams will have no hesitation to take him at #2?

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Part of me wants us to take him at #2 and part of me thinks it's not the right direction for this team, no matter the talent.

But to answer your question...I don't have a clue!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Ian Rapoport on NFL Network just said the Rams are doing due diligence on Clowney and have “descended on Rock Hill, SC.”

You guys think if everything comes back good and he has a great combine the Rams will have no hesitation to take him at #2?

I think if the trade offers aren't very good they will take him, and make everyone see there mistake in offering shitty trades.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
Interested or not he is the type of player teams move up for. We will be using that as trade leverage even if we have zero intent to draft him. More times than not rhe player you take wasn't the player you spent the most time evaluating in the publics eye.
I have know idea how vested we are in him

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

The only hesitation I think will be from already having one potentially elite DE and one very good one. You really don't want your #2 overall pick warming the bench on most plays.

His maturity/taking plays off concerns will probably need the most diligence.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Just remember that Snead and Fisher have a plan set in place. This is the year that we are supposed to break into the playoffs.

Does Clowney elevate our team to playoff status? Maybe.

We can stockpile more talent in a trade back a couple spots, as well as hit the sweet spot where our needs and BPA intersect.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Just remember that Snead and Fisher have a plan set in place. This is the year that we are supposed to break into the playoffs.

Does Clowney elevate our team to playoff status? Maybe.

We can stockpile more talent in a trade back a couple spots, as well as hit the sweet spot where our needs and BPA intersect.

My dream scenario would be swapping our #2 overall for the Browns #4 overall & #26 overall. If we could squeeze a 2nd or 3rd round pick that would be beautiful.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just remember that Snead and Fisher have a plan set in place. This is the year that we are supposed to break into the playoffs.Does Clowney elevate our team to playoff status? Maybe. We can stockpile more talent in a trade back a couple spots, as well as hit the sweet spot where our needs and BPA intersect.

How many teams have four better DE's (CL/WH/RQ/ES) than the Rams? How many teams have a better top three DE's Quinn-Long-Hayes?
That's a good question going into the draft. With Seattle & 9ers being such great running teams would another pass rusher elevate vs what other top prospects could do?

duckhunter

Starter
Even though we have a great group of DEs, I've warmed up to the idea of taking Clowney.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
I think if the trade offers aren't very good they will take him, and make everyone see there mistake in offering crappy trades.
^ This. You have to think that a trade down would be the most likely option, but if no-one knocks their socks off with a trade, you'd have to think Fisher and Williams et al would be salivating over having Quinn and Clowney on the same team.

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
^ This. You have to think that a trade down would be the most likely option, but if no-one knocks their socks off with a trade, you'd have to think Fisher and Williams et al would be salivating over having Quinn and Clowney on the same team.
One thing that would be awesome is on 3rd and long situations where you know they have pass you can do an all pass rush defensive line with Quinn, Clowney, Hayes, and Long. That would be devastating to an opposing OL.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
How many teams have four better DE's (CL/WH/RQ/ES) than the Rams? How many teams have a better top three DE's Quinn-Long-Hayes?
That's a good question going into the draft. With Seattle & 9ers being such great running teams would another pass rusher elevate vs what other top prospects could do?

If we think long term (3-4yrs), Then there's no question that Clowney is the best pick. But that assumes that he will perform like he should.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just listening to the NFL network talking heads in discussing where would Jadeveon play in the Texan's defense .....2 pt LB'er? is what they said JC would line up.

I just do not see it myself I would place the 6-6 275 pound DL'er on the opposite side of JJ Watts.

jjab360

Legend
Dimitroff was raving about Clowney on ESPN, mentioned history with Snead when talking about possible trades.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
When anyone is being heralded as a "once in a decade" player, especially a DE or QB, any team in a position to draft him would be making a big mistake to not heavily look into him. No question we take him if the trade offers are weak. With great role models like Quinn and Long, and a great DC like Williams, any character concerns are reduced due to the atmosphere, IMO. He'll have to give it his very best effort to outshine those two studs. The Rams ferocious style of D is very contagious.

Blackmon would have been fine in horns, IMO.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
The old adage that "you take the best player available regardless of need" would hold true .... IF they don't trade out and IF he passes all their concerns. They won't reach for a player at #2 just because of need. WE don't know how their board stacks up.... but I bet their top 3-4 look something like this
Clowney
Watkins
Matthews/Robinson

Do your due diligence and IF you have the #1 rated in that group sitting there when you pick ... then by all means you draft him. But I'm sure their first choice is to trade out and compile some more picks... both this year and future.

tonyl711

Starter
if they cant trade out (highly unlikely) I think they will go Clowney, me personally I would take Watkins, but I think Fisher would go Clowney.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
In reality this is house money we are playing with here. Theres a whole bunch of different opinions about what we should do and alll of them have some merit. The only way you screw the pooch on this deal is if you dont wind up with either clowney, robinson, mmattews, or watkins. And I expect clowney to be the only player you would take at two.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
In reality this is house money we are playing with here. Theres a whole bunch of different opinions about what we should do and alll of them have some merit. The only way you screw the pooch on this deal is if you dont wind up with either clowney, robinson, mmattews, or watkins. And I expect clowney to be the only player you would take at two.
Agreed.
Even if other teams don't fall in love with the QB's and deal with us,Atlanta will be in play here wanting to either move up to #2 for Clowney...or they may feel like they can sit tight at #6 and grab who's there between Robinson/Matthews.
I still like Minnesota as a potential trade partner. They have talent there on offense. They really need a QB.
We shall see.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I want Watkins. I don't think the Rams should try and get too cute.

If they did go with Clowney, I still think they need another Receiver. Quick didn't show enough of a "jump" in production to warrant relying on him. Take Clowney and Evans. Fix the OLine in rds 2 and 3. Sign Byrd as a FA.