Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
A top 10 defense "Should" stop a 32nd ranked offense from driving down the field in a near impossible situation.
60 yards, 44 seconds, no timeouts... less than 1% chance of scoring a TD.

Yet the Playcalling, and on field performance of the Defense allowed them to do just that.
That is a huge red flag something is wrong with this Defense.
That has nothing to do with the offense.

No they were not tired. They are paid professional athletes.
I used to play competitive Racquetball, football, martial arts and know what it's like to be gassed.
With all the out of bounds TB took time between plays.
They time to get their wind back.

If Tony Dungy, Tony Romo, Rex Ryan and many others are saying what I typed, your point is moot.
You Cannot defend this defense.
Who’s defending the last drive?

Are you dense?

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Who’s defending the last drive?

Are you dense?
YOU Keep doing that!
Defending the last drive, blaming the offense, even though that last drive was statistically icing on the top.
"Oh but it's a top 10 defense." Evidently not. Couldn't stop the worst offense in the NFL from getting a TD that statistically was near perfectly impossible.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
YOU Keep doing that!
Defending the last drive, blaming the offense, even though that last drive was statistically icing on the top.
"Oh but it's a top 10 defense." Evidently not. Couldn't stop the worst offense in the NFL from getting a TD that statistically was near perfectly impossible.
No, I’m not.

I’m blaming the offense for losing the game.

I get that the idea that the game is 60 minutes and all of it matters is too big of a concept for you.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
YOU Keep doing that!
Oh.. can’t score if you don’t have the ball.

Not one first down in the 4th.

Gimme a fucking break.

And I’m laughing at “they weren’t tired”…. Didn’t know you were in the locker room.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Morris’ D is one of the tops in the NFL this year at forcing 3 & outs.

Womp womp.

like a boss wow GIF by Red Bull

Now I don't have to respond. :sunglasses:

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
No, I’m not.

I’m blaming the offense for losing the game.

I get that the idea that the game is 60 minutes and all of it matters is too big of a concept for you.

That's defending the defense.

Isolating the last drive. Because it's the only thing that counts.
Rams had the lead. (Check)
Statistically a perfect situation for the defense (Check)
Nothing else matters. Can't play ifs or buts. It was what was handed to the defense.

Defense lost that game. Period.
What Was The Rams Defense Doing On The Final Drive Against Tampa?

The defense on the other hand did all they could until they blew it
"Never play soft against Tom Brady. Never play soft against Tom Brady. Never play soft against Tom Brady. (Exhale)

How about never play soft against anyone?! This is the NFL for goodness sakes! Quit being cowards and show some guts. I’ve been more aggressive in the entirety of my Madden career than McVay was in those final two minutes. What a boneheaded strategy. (Repeat deep breathing and apologize for punching Aaron Donald pillow cover.)

Prevent defense clearly isn’t the way to go, especially against someone as experienced as TB12. Quite honestly, I don’t understand why defenses continue utilizing it with the game on the line. LA baited Tampa Bay to beat them and they did exactly that."

Go back and look through this thread. Experts, paid experts, announcers embarrassing our defensive approach.
Not the right defense unless you seriously have a big lead.

The Bucs had the WORST offense entering that game. The Rams 31st. SO yeah and offensive crap fest.
But we had that game. Had the win. Until some really bad decisions, and blame the DC.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
According to ESPN, the Rams have the third-best pass-rush win rate in football at 51%. A pass-rush win is deemed a play when a player beats his blocker in 2.5 seconds or less.

So how is it possible that the Rams have the fewest pressures in the league but also one of the most effective pass rushes? Some of it has to do with the fact that teams are getting the ball out quickly against the Rams to prevent pass rushers from getting close to their quarterback. Donald has a win rate of 22% himself, so he boosts the team’s win rate overall.

The Rams also play a lot of zone coverage and don’t press at the line, so short, quick routes are often open. That makes it easier for teams to hit underneath throws before the quarterback gets pressured.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
That's defending the defense.

Isolating the last drive. Because it's the only thing that counts.
Rams had the lead. (Check)
Statistically a perfect situation for the defense (Check)
Nothing else matters. Can't play ifs or buts. It was what was handed to the defense.

Defense lost that game. Period.
What Was The Rams Defense Doing On The Final Drive Against Tampa?

The defense on the other hand did all they could until they blew it
"Never play soft against Tom Brady. Never play soft against Tom Brady. Never play soft against Tom Brady. (Exhale)

How about never play soft against anyone?! This is the NFL for goodness sakes! Quit being cowards and show some guts. I’ve been more aggressive in the entirety of my Madden career than McVay was in those final two minutes. What a boneheaded strategy. (Repeat deep breathing and apologize for punching Aaron Donald pillow cover.)

Prevent defense clearly isn’t the way to go, especially against someone as experienced as TB12. Quite honestly, I don’t understand why defenses continue utilizing it with the game on the line. LA baited Tampa Bay to beat them and they did exactly that."

Go back and look through this thread. Experts, paid experts, announcers embarrassing our defensive approach.
Not the right defense unless you seriously have a big lead.

The Bucs had the WORST offense entering that game. The Rams 31st. SO yeah and offensive crap fest.
But we had that game. Had the win. Until some really bad decisions, and blame the DC.
Lol..
Hey.. um.. they were talking about the scheme…. ON THAT DRIVE.

Find one quote saying what the Rams are doing on defense, as a whole, is wrong.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
According to ESPN, the Rams have the third-best pass-rush win rate in football at 51%. A pass-rush win is deemed a play when a player beats his blocker in 2.5 seconds or less.

So how is it possible that the Rams have the fewest pressures in the league but also one of the most effective pass rushes? Some of it has to do with the fact that teams are getting the ball out quickly against the Rams to prevent pass rushers from getting close to their quarterback. Donald has a win rate of 22% himself, so he boosts the team’s win rate overall.

The Rams also play a lot of zone coverage and don’t press at the line, so short, quick routes are often open. That makes it easier for teams to hit underneath throws before the quarterback gets pressured.
Stats?
The Rams are top 10 in yards and points.
But.. go on..

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Stats?
Teams that only score 13 win a quarter of their games.

Teams that let up 16 win more than half.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Bend Don't Break

Strengths:
  • Forces your opponent to have long, sustained drives which increases their chances of turning the ball over and causes stress on the offense
  • Forcing teams to resort to 3-5 yard gains at a time can make their players impatient and get them to make dumb errors
  • Still gets good coverage and some of the best defensive schemes are at the heart "bend but dont break"
  • Zones compress in the end zone which ultimately makes it much harder for the opposing team to score in the red zone
Weaknesses:
  • If you can't stop the run and/or the other team has an excellent short passing game your defense will be on the field for a while
  • If your team plays 'landmark zones' instead of pattern-read you could get decimated by an intelligent offense that knows how to exploit zones
  • If your defense is undisciplined you could have players getting impatient and making bad gambles.
  • The most successful bend but don't break defenses have a very solid pass rush up front, generally with just the front 4
  • From a viewer perspective it's kind of boring and passive
Why run a scheme that exposes all your weaknesses? Does the positive strengths outweigh those weaknesses?
Is the coach so set in his ways, he can't switch?

It's really up to Raheem Morris.
He loves zone coverage. Darious Williams was better man to man, so they let him walk.
Troy Hill was brought back because he is pretty good in Zone.

Personally, I think it's a coach that plays what he likes and not what is best for the team.
Not really seeing a lot of "dumb errors" on opposing teams playing the Rams.

This scheme wastes talent.
Jalen Ramsey and Aaron Donald.
So yes, I think it's not a good fit / scheme based on the Star Players.
Also think the Rams are undisciplined on Defense and they make mistakes before the opposing offense does.
I would like to see a change. Doubt it will happen.

I'll work for a decent pay if the Rams wanna give me a shot. I'm serious.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Stats?
Teams that only score 13 win a quarter of their games.

Teams that let up 16 win more than half.
Rams would have lost that game if it was 33 to 29 because the defense couldn't make a stop when they needed to.
When statistically it was a better than 99% chance they should have.

Explain how you can defend the defense on that last drive?
Go over each play and show me how superior the Bucs offense was and it wasn't the defense at fault.
You can't because it was shown it was the defense that failed.

That was a win, that the defense gave away. The loss is on the defense period.
I don't think it was Tom Brady magic. I think it was poor playcalling/scheme.
You disagree. 'nuff said. You won't sway me about my opinion of this defense.
I won't sway you.

I also don't want to put you on ignore, but you are really trying to get too personal with your insults.

All I know if the defensive scheme reduces the effectives Rams best two and highest paid players.
I'd rather play to my start player strengths, give those players a better chance to use their talents.
Feels like wasted salary and talent. Could trade them for other players suited to RMs style and still be on par where the defense plays now.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Rams would have lost that game if it was 33 to 29 because the defense couldn't make a stop when they needed to.
When statistically it was a better than 99% chance they should have.

Explain how you can defend the defense on that last drive?
Go over each play and show me how superior the Bucs offense was and it wasn't the defense at fault.
You can't because it was shown it was the defense that failed.

That was a win, that the defense gave away. The loss is on the defense period.
I don't think it was Tom Brady magic. I think it was poor playcalling/scheme.
You disagree. 'nuff said. You won't sway me about my opinion of this defense.
I won't sway you.

I also don't want to put you on ignore, but you are really trying to get too personal with your insults.

All I know if the defensive scheme reduces the effectives Rams best two and highest paid players.
I'd rather play to my start player strengths, give those players a better chance to use their talents.
Feels like wasted salary and talent. Could trade them for other players suited to RMs style and still be on par where the defense plays now.
If the Rams lost 33-29… unless there were pick-6s thrown by the offense… you wouldn’t see me saying they played well enough to win.

Period.

And you keep saying I’m defending the last drive.. which is pure bullshit.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

During the last drive.

Rams fans around the world

Angry Inside Out GIF by Disney Pixar

Meanwhile, Kupped.

Season 2 GIF by The Simpsons

Proud The Karate Kid GIF

oldnotdead

Legend
Morris’ D is one of the tops in the NFL this year at forcing 3 & outs.

IMO the opposition stop themselves with penalties and blocking mistakes, or dropped passes more than being forced to by a soft zone that concedes any pass out to five yards. That is the fallacy of rolling out stats without context.

Woomp Woomp

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
IMO the opposition stop themselves with penalties and blocking mistakes, or dropped passes more than being forced to by a soft zone that concedes any pass out to five yards. That is the fallacy of rolling out stats without context.

Woomp Woomp
This is a mind-numbingly silly response.
Here's more on the matter from Jourdan:

10. In Sunday’s postgame column, I revealed the results of a crucial (and mind-blowing) three-and-out query: The Rams offense is averaging 16.38 points per game (third-lowest in the NFL). When the defense — which is limiting teams to just 17.8 points per game (sixth-best in the NFL), and ranks No. 10 in the NFL in forcing three-and-outs — gets a three-and-out or turnover on downs, the offense responds with a three-and-out of their own on 38.7 percent of possessions. Yikes.

But it does, in fact, get worse. The Rams have the highest three-and-out rate in the NFL in 2022, and it’s also the highest three-and-out rate of any team in which Stafford has been at quarterback through the first nine games of a season. Yes, that includes some truly bad Lions teams.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do. Holding to FGs = stop IMo in modern NFL.

I could've sworn they had another 4th down stop tho. Oh well...I've moved on from this game.
Made a 50 yard field goal to boot. Not like they when on some long drive. Got the ball at their own 40, didnt have far to go in order to get in to field goal range