NEW: 5 Players St. Louis Should Target with Second Pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:
I haven't really decided yet, but either the best playmaker...Richardson or Blackmon, or the best offensive lineman. Two biggest needs. You've heard me say umpteen times, that if we don't fix the offensive line, nothing else matters...I truly believe that. Free agency comes first, and although I like to scout players, I would never set a Rams mock draft until that is complete. I have some reservations about Blackmon and Kalil. They are not no brainers yet, and someone else may emerge. I can tell you this, if RG3 was a WR, he's be a no brainer.
Richardson would probably be in play if Fisher was coach. Or Kalil. Both are pivotal to his approach. Which leads me to wonder if THIS offensive line wouldn't be better as a run-first offensive line. Seems they were pretty okay in the running game this year, for the most part. If you add another in-line blocker and maybe one more lineman, this group could probably do well in that capacity.

I think once we see who the head coach and GM are going to be, the picture might become a little more clear.
I think we were a run first team in general, and they did block very well in the running game against the best run defenses in the league, even with a lot of different lines, but pass blocking was on the other end of the spectrum and that has to be addressed. One penalty and then we have to pass. We have to be able to pass when the other team knows we are going to pass more than once in a while. THAT is what we couldn't do, and it killed our offense.
Think that goes beyond coaching and into physical limitations for certain players? If so, who?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I failed to mention that I cringed everytime that we had to get 1 yard, after Smith and Saffold were out for the season. We didn't have enough power at the right, the left or the middle to accomplish that.

One more thing about Blackmon that I think is great. After the game when asked if he was entering the draft he declared with a straight answer. He didn't need a press conference or a whole show dedicated to his decision. In this day and age, I think that is huge and speaks volumes about at least part of his character.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:
I haven't really decided yet, but either the best playmaker...Richardson or Blackmon, or the best offensive lineman. Two biggest needs. You've heard me say umpteen times, that if we don't fix the offensive line, nothing else matters...I truly believe that. Free agency comes first, and although I like to scout players, I would never set a Rams mock draft until that is complete. I have some reservations about Blackmon and Kalil. They are not no brainers yet, and someone else may emerge. I can tell you this, if RG3 was a WR, he's be a no brainer.
Richardson would probably be in play if Fisher was coach. Or Kalil. Both are pivotal to his approach. Which leads me to wonder if THIS offensive line wouldn't be better as a run-first offensive line. Seems they were pretty okay in the running game this year, for the most part. If you add another in-line blocker and maybe one more lineman, this group could probably do well in that capacity.

I think once we see who the head coach and GM are going to be, the picture might become a little more clear.
I think we were a run first team in general, and they did block very well in the running game against the best run defenses in the league, even with a lot of different lines, but pass blocking was on the other end of the spectrum and that has to be addressed. One penalty and then we have to pass. We have to be able to pass when the other team knows we are going to pass more than once in a while. THAT is what we couldn't do, and it killed our offense.
Think that goes beyond coaching and into physical limitations for certain players? If so, who?
I think it's partly coaching, Loney maybe not being familiar with the new scheme, if this was the case, a pretty big head coaching or GM gaffe if you ask me. Bring in a coach that knows it...period.

Partly cohesion or lack of, the most offensive line combos in the league I heard mentioned. Lack of cohesion can also be attributed to learning a new blocking scheme in a short time.

Certainly lack of talent. Wragge, Levoir, Goldberg, and Mattison, nothing to write home about, mostly street FA's, meaning no other team even had them as backups, with the exception of Goldberg, and you know that I never thought he should have made the team, and it is of my opinion that he will be done with football after this year as a player. Too much bad tape. I still think that J. Brown rated better than Wragge at Center, but he was horrible at Guard. And I am the only one that's saying this, but I think the reason Brown was benched, was not for his play, but that he had a tell that I discovered (was looking for) analyzing the line that gave the defense a huge jump when he was under Center. A couple opponents mentioned it. And Bajema should be mentioned, because he was a huge part of the reason that the blocking was really bad at times.,,,and a lot of crucial times, goal line, 3rd downs, etc.