NEW: 5 Players St. Louis Should Target with Second Pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
Let me begin by saying that I believe the Rams will (and most likely should trade out for multiple premium picks, if possible). However, if for some reason they do not, these players (as it currently stands) would be legit options, in my opinion.

Report comes complete with NFL comparisons, links to scouting reports, and more.

Hope you all enjoy it.... !

<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1006106-2012-nfl-mock-draft-5-players-the-st-louis-rams-should-target-with-2nd-pick" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1006 ... h-2nd-pick</a>

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
The only concern I have over Blackmon is if your drafting a WR in the top 5 he needs to be an elite talent (Clavin Johnson, Andre Johnson, AJ Green). I dont know if Blackmon is on their level (Wes Bunting of NFP doesnt believe he is), but the thing I like about his game the most is him fighting for YAC all the time. One of my favorite plays was in the Kansas State game this year when he catches a short pass, stiff arms the DB, completely knocked him down. He looked like a RB on the play.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
JdashSTL said:
The only concern I have over Blackmon is if your drafting a WR in the top 5 he needs to be an elite talent (Clavin Johnson, Andre Johnson, AJ Green). I dont know if Blackmon is on their level (Wes Bunting of NFP doesnt believe he is), but the thing I like about his game the most is him fighting for YAC all the time. One of my favorite plays was in the Kansas State game this year when he catches a short pass, stiff arms the DB, completely knocked him down. He looked like a RB on the play.

Great assessment, JdashSTL, on Blackmon. I agree with your post.

STL-Rams

Starter
bumped for the Blackmon hype tonight... and the crazy day in and around the Rams...

STL-Rams

Starter
he certainly looked like the real deal... his build reminds me of a slightly taller, more athletic Anquan Boldin but shorter T.O. Anybody argee or disagree?

moklerman

Warner-phile
STL-Rams said:
he certainly looked like the real deal... his build reminds me of a slightly taller, more athletic Anquan Boldin but shorter T.O. Anybody argee or disagree?
Actually, Boldin and Blackmon are listed as the same height(6'1").

Boldin - 6'1"/223
Owens - 6'3"/224
Blackmon - 6'1"/215

I think what makes him look taller is his arms. Apparently he has 34" arms and that's a good thing for a WR. Owens has long arms too but bad hands. Boldin has short arms IMO.

STL-Rams

Starter
moklerman said:
STL-Rams said:
Actually, Boldin and Blackmon are listed as the same height(6'1").

Boldin - 6'1"/223
Owens - 6'3"/224
Blackmon - 6'1"/215

I think what makes him look taller is his arms. Apparently he has 34" arms and that's a good thing for a WR. Owens has long arms too but bad hands. Boldin has short arms IMO.

He does look taller (and may be). Can't remember what Boldin's official measurement was at combine but, as you shared, they must be pretty close.

Holt said today that Blackmon's build reminds him of T.O. fyi... good points also on the arm lengths of the three.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_97kBZqj270[/youtube]

Watch this regarding his reach.

The only two receivers he reminds me of are Boldin #1 and then TO. I think Blackmon has better hands and body control than TO, and TO is a little taller and maybe faster. To me Boldin is the direct comparison and I Blackmon will run a high 4.5 or low 4.6, but he appears to have better body control, athleticism, like Lloyd for instance. I like that. Blackmon also appears to have some long speed, which is a totally different thing than the 40, although he is not a speed demon. Bottom line is, players like Boldin and TO, don't get picked that high because of their speed, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Gilyard had a nice "Sport Science" segment too. I don't watch a lot of college ball, so can you tell me how he looks against top ranked defenses or when defenses shift coverage over to him and/or jam him up at the line?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Still pretty impressive, but X does have a point with the Gilyard..... I'll be happy with Blackmon obviously he'd help a lot.. I just think that there are better options there at #2... Trading down (maybe the Browns) I think would be better... If we trade with the Browns for them to get RG3, Vikings take Kalil, then all we have to worry about is the Jags, who might go for a corner instead. Hard to say I guess, but 5 would be just about the right spot for Blackmon and I wouldn't be shocked to see him fall there.. Then we can hopefully get another first rounder (the ones the Falcon's gave to the Browns) and get someone else later on in the first round...

That would be the ideal situation for me... And if the Jags did take Blackmon, at least there would be Claiborne on the board as well as other options (including trading down again and getting even MORE picks)..

We shall see. I think this is going to be an interesting draft. There are a lot of players I would be happy with selecting.. Blackmon, Kalil, Claiborne, Martin, DeCastro, etc.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
bluecoconuts said:
Still pretty impressive, but X does have a point with the Gilyard..... I'll be happy with Blackmon obviously he'd help a lot.. I just think that there are better options there at #2... Trading down (maybe the Browns) I think would be better... If we trade with the Browns for them to get RG3, Vikings take Kalil, then all we have to worry about is the Jags, who might go for a corner instead. Hard to say I guess, but 5 would be just about the right spot for Blackmon and I wouldn't be shocked to see him fall there.. Then we can hopefully get another first rounder (the ones the Falcon's gave to the Browns) and get someone else later on in the first round...

That would be the ideal situation for me... And if the Jags did take Blackmon, at least there would be Claiborne on the board as well as other options (including trading down again and getting even MORE picks)..

We shall see. I think this is going to be an interesting draft. There are a lot of players I would be happy with selecting.. Blackmon, Kalil, Claiborne, Martin, DeCastro, etc.

I cant see the Jags passing on him. Other than Mike Thomas, im pretty sure they have nothing at the WR corps. They have to get some help for Gabbert and take some pressure of MJD. Now if there was a scenario where we did trade down, take a CB or OL, id love to see us trade back into the 1st somewhere in the 20's and grab a WR (Kendall Wright). Wes Bunting of NFP compares him to Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Gilyard had a nice "Sport Science" segment too. I don't watch a lot of college ball, so can you tell me how he looks against top ranked defenses or when defenses shift coverage over to him and/or jam him up at the line?
Well in a #3 vs. #4 teams in the nation matchup with Blackmon being OSU's main target and the focus of Stanford's defense. Blackmon managed 8 rec. for 186 yds at a 23.3 avg. for 3 TD's. Pretty damn significant.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
X said:
Well in a #3 vs. #4 teams in the nation with Blackmon being OSU's main target and the focus of Stanford's defense. Blackmon managed 8 rec. for 186 yds at a 23.3 avg. for 3 TD's. Pretty damn significant.
Does being in the spread leave him pretty much in zone coverage?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
Well in a #3 vs. #4 teams in the nation with Blackmon being OSU's main target and the focus of Stanford's defense. Blackmon managed 8 rec. for 186 yds at a 23.3 avg. for 3 TD's. Pretty damn significant.
Not really. I saw Stanford use multiple coverages on him. Nothing really worked though, but if you look at his numbers for the year, no defense was really able to shut him down. The dude has over 3500 yards and 40 TD's in his career and appears to be an intelligent guy and a leader on his team's sidelines. I can't compare him to Mardy at all in any way. He is 100 times the prospect Mardy was and is in my opinion.

I want to be clear, I'm not debating whether he should be the pick or not, I will save that for later, but I'd love him at number 4 or 6 in a trade down scenario.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
How do you not take him? :idk:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
Not really. I saw Stanford use multiple coverages on him. Nothing really worked though, but if you look at his numbers for the year, no defense was really able to shut him down. The dude has over 3500 yards and 40 TD's in his career and appears to be an intelligent guy and a leader on his team's sidelines. I can't compare him to Mardy at all in any way. He is 100 times the prospect Mardy was and is in my opinion.

I want to be clear, I'm not debating whether he should be the pick or not, I will save that for later, but I'd love him at number 4 or 6 in a trade down scenario.
I know. I'm just asking questions. I'm wary of the success rate of wide receivers coming into the NFL. It's pretty freaking low, and that makes me nervous about taking receivers really high. But, like you said, if it's a trade down and we get another first (cough, Cleveland), then I'd be less nervous about it. Who do you like overall in the first round right now? I fergetted wat u said.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:

I know. I'm just asking questions. I'm wary of the success rate of wide receivers coming into the NFL. It's pretty freaking low, and that makes me nervous about taking receivers really high. But, like you said, if it's a trade down and we get another first (cough, Cleveland), then I'd be less nervous about it. Who do you like overall in the first round right now? I fergetted wat u said.
I haven't really decided yet, but either the best playmaker...Richardson or Blackmon, or the best offensive lineman. Two biggest needs. You've heard me say umpteen times, that if we don't fix the offensive line, nothing else matters...I truly believe that. Free agency comes first, and although I like to scout players, I would never set a Rams mock draft until that is complete. I have some reservations about Blackmon and Kalil. They are not no brainers yet, and someone else may emerge. I can tell you this, if RG3 was a WR, he's be a no brainer.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
I haven't really decided yet, but either the best playmaker...Richardson or Blackmon, or the best offensive lineman. Two biggest needs. You've heard me say umpteen times, that if we don't fix the offensive line, nothing else matters...I truly believe that. Free agency comes first, and although I like to scout players, I would never set a Rams mock draft until that is complete. I have some reservations about Blackmon and Kalil. They are not no brainers yet, and someone else may emerge. I can tell you this, if RG3 was a WR, he's be a no brainer.
Richardson would probably be in play if Fisher was coach. Or Kalil. Both are pivotal to his approach. Which leads me to wonder if THIS offensive line wouldn't be better as a run-first offensive line. Seems they were pretty okay in the running game this year, for the most part. If you add another in-line blocker and maybe one more lineman, this group could probably do well in that capacity.

I think once we see who the head coach and GM are going to be, the picture might become a little more clear.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
Richardson would probably be in play if Fisher was coach. Or Kalil. Both are pivotal to his approach. Which leads me to wonder if THIS offensive line wouldn't be better as a run-first offensive line. Seems they were pretty okay in the running game this year, for the most part. If you add another in-line blocker and maybe one more lineman, this group could probably do well in that capacity.

I think once we see who the head coach and GM are going to be, the picture might become a little more clear.
I think we were a run first team in general, and they did block very well in the running game against the best run defenses in the league, even with a lot of different lines, but pass blocking was on the other end of the spectrum and that has to be addressed. One penalty and then we have to pass. We have to be able to pass when the other team knows we are going to pass more than once in a while. THAT is what we couldn't do, and it killed our offense.