Nerd of the Year Award

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

First Nerd to Wear Guardian Helmet

• Total voters

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
While that is true, Chapman's death was cited as one of the main reasons why they should become mandatory when it passed.

It may have been, but I'd bet the Tony Conigliaro beaning in 1967 had as much to do with with the timing as anything.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
It may have been, but I'd bet the Tony Conigliaro beaning in 1967 had as much to do with with the timing as anything.

Also agreed, but Chapman's death was cited as the biggest reason for the mandatory change, along with Mickey Cochrane's near-fatal and career-ending injury - Cochrane himself gave a statement saying that players should "absolutely have to wear protective headgear" - for the change. It didn't hold until much later, unfortunately; Ford Frick tried his best to make it mandatory, but it didn't stick.

But back to this subject: the new helmet could make Weird Al's "White and Nerdy" look like a fucking alpha jock, and I'd still prefer it over a player dying on the field or shortly after. Reputations can be lost or earned and kept; lives are absolutely irreplaceable.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guardian helmets? Pfffft! This all they need.

human-grade-tin-foil-hat_400x333.jpg
@Loyal ~ Hey I wear this on the toilet while I read the news

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the helmets look goofy but who cares, if it helps players from getting hurt. I hope every Rams player wears one.
Nerd apologist! Game knows game?

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok…I will go counter-intuitive. No one died in a boxing ring until they put on gloves. The more we pad, the harder and less careful the hits will be. I wasn’t around during the leather head days, but I bet less players led with their head with only leather on it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok…I will go counter-intuitive. No one died in a boxing ring until they put on gloves. The more we pad, the harder and less careful the hits will be. I wasn’t around during the leather head days, but I bet less players led with their head with only leather on it.
Look at James Braddock. He did crouch low at times, but he stood up straight during his fights . He fought from the late 1920’s - early 1940’s.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I think they look goofey now but give it a few years and the players and teams will learn to stylize them in a good way. Speed bumps for the betterment of a players health.

Antonius

Pro Bowler
If internet threads were around one hundred years ago, I wonder what the fans would be saying about the implementation of leather headgear?

Of course the guardian caps do look goofy - in their current state. Eventually a new design will come along that combines the helmet with the cap, and it will inevitably become the standard.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If internet threads were around one hundred years ago, I wonder what the fans would be saying about the implementation of leather headgear?

Of course the guardian caps do look goofy - in their current state. Eventually a new design will come along that combines the helmet with the cap, and it will inevitably become the standard.

Ask @VegasRam

I'm sure he remembers everything they were saying.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
The story is true - very artistic as a kid.

Then I picked up a t-square...
and the rest is history. :sunglasses: