Matthews Vs Robinson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I am still holding out hope that the Rams will either get Clowney or Watkins or a huge trade down in the upcoming Draft but IF they do end up drafting an OT am I the only Rams fan that thinks Greg Robinson might be catching up with Jake Matthews as the top OT in the Draft? The more I watch his highlights the more he impresses me! He looks like he does a real nice job with his pass blocking but he looks like a monster on his run blocking!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have not watch a lot of their play to critique them, just not my forte. But from what I have read. Matthews is superior in all facets, Robinson is good at run blocking but never had to develop in the passing game because of their scheme.

To me the whole reason for drafting one of them in the first round would be protect Bradford. I'm tired of the Boudreau can develop lesser talent argument. I want the best players possible to fill the obvious holes we have along the O line.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
What about T.Lewan? (Spellcheck) he was considered a top T last year had he come out.

jap

Legend
I am still holding out hope that the Rams will either get Clowney or Watkins or a huge trade down in the upcoming Draft but IF they do end up drafting an OT am I the only Rams fan that thinks Greg Robinson might be catching up with Jake Matthews as the top OT in the Draft? The more I watch his highlights the more he impresses me! He looks like he does a real nice job with his pass blocking but he looks like a monster on his run blocking!

The word is that Matthews is the most NFL ready but Greg has more upside. He just needs solid coaching, and he's not going to get better coaching than our own Coach Bou. Greg is a road grader in the run blocking game, but he needs help with his active feet in pass blocking.

If Jake is on schedule, Greg can slide inside to guard until he is ready to slide outside to stay. If we re-sign Beetlejuice, we are set at guard. As Greg progresses, we will have the option of moving him
to RT or swapping positions with Big Jake. Imagine Jake and Beetlejuice as our starting guards with Zac the Mack and Benny & his Jets in the backfield? :bigup:

Cory

UDFA
I am a little iffy on Robinson. My dad wants to trade down to pick him because of his upside and feels we have the coaching to make him realize his potential. What if he doesn't though? Would that just make him one of the better guards in the league due to his run blocking ability?

If we were to compare the best and worst possible outcome for Jake and Greg, where would that put them?

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I am certainly not a talent evaluator but in his most recent mock Daniel Jeremiah does not even have J. Matthews going in the top 10. Although I prefer Robinson due to the upside I would be very happy with Matthews at 13. I sincerely doubt he lasts that long however.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I am certainly not a talent evaluator but in his most recent mock Daniel Jeremiah does not even have J. Matthews going in the top 10. Although I prefer Robinson due to the upside I would be very happy with Matthews at 13. I sincerely doubt he lasts that long however.

Matthews may not last to 6. No way he lasts to 13. OTs go very high, just the way it is.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Matthews may not last to 6. No way he lasts to 13. OTs go very high, just the way it is.
Agreed. I just found it interesting that in Jeremiah's mock Robinson had leapfrogged Matthews by such a large margin.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Boy, OT with huge upside that just needs some great coaching. I think there's a punchline in there somewhere...

jason-smith-rams.jpg

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
What does a prospects upside mean?? Someone thinks he can get better than he is? So what you are saying is that Boudreau can make Robinson better than he can make Matthews??

Why couldn't Beaudreau make Rok Watkins a player?

Not trying to be snarky just trying to understand that whole upside thing and where it comes from.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
As I understand it upside would be a player who had not yet reached his maximum performance level. I am certainly no expert, but all accounts of Robinson is that, due to the offensive scheme played at Auburn, he does not have a great deal of experience pass protecting and he is not as "technically sound" as J. Matthews.

His own college OL coach was quoted as saying, and I am paraphrasing, that Robinson has gotten to where he needs to be from a physical standpoint and his footwork has also gotten to where it needs to be but he still needs work with his punch and hand placement; elements that will allow his pass protection skills to progress.

The other side of that however, or the "upside" if you will, is that he is viewed as the superior athlete; bigger, stronger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have not watch a lot of their play to critique them, just not my forte. But from what I have read. Matthews is superior in all facets, Robinson is good at run blocking but never had to develop in the passing game because of their scheme.

To me the whole reason for drafting one of them in the first round would be protect Bradford. I'm tired of the Boudreau can develop lesser talent argument. I want the best players possible to fill the obvious holes we have along the O line.

I totally agree with this. This bandwagon Robinson stuff is premature. The guy didn't face a defense all year that was able to consistently pin their ears back and rush the passer. When I did see him in pass defense I didnt think he looked assignment sound at all. In the end he probably plays on the right side.

Alan

Legend
Warner4Prez with this:
Boy, OT with huge upside that just needs some great coaching. I think there's a punchline in there somewhere...

jason-smith-rams.jpg
Is that a picture of Jason Smith?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I'll be surprised if they don't target Matthews for the obvious reasons. Bloodlines, connection to Fisher, safer pick and ready to pass Pro at a high level sooner.

Matthews is more than just a technician, he's got a ton of talent. His bust factor is as low as it gets. You just plug him into the OL and he won't make mistakes.

F. Mulder

Starter
My .02 is that Mathews is plug and play pro ready and versatile. You will never call him a bust and at worst will be a solid 10 year OL starter in this league and at best will have some trips to Honolulu (I wish they'd kill the Pro Bowl). Robinson may have the most upside but this is a team that is full of guys that they are hoping reach their upsides. I want a guy who plays from day 1 and plays well. Look at guys who we have spent decent picks for on hopes of upside: Quick and Pead jump out for me. MOST of the other players selected had a proven track record and were taken where they should have or were knocked down due to off-field issues (Jenkins, Johnson, Ogletree).

I would't take Mathews at #2 and am betting my dog (who I actually like quite a bit) they don't stay there, but no way do I go Robinson over JM if it's between the two.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Still don't see any reason to grab a tackle in the first round, but like you said, if for some reason they do draft a Tackle, I say it'd be Matthews. He would probably be an upgrade over Barks, and at worst would be an awesome guard for a year or two and could move outside if someone got injured or there production dropped off. Don't think he will ever be a pro bowl tackle, but will be an above average tackle and a good solid piece for the the line.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
by Rob Rang

2. OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M (6-5, 305, 5.14): The son of Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews, Jake proves the cliche true -- the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. He has played well at left tackle this season after starring at right tackle over his first three years. Matthews is a terrific football player, demonstrating impressive technique, strength and consistency. He is not, however, an elite athlete and some view his future back on the right side in the NFL.

3. OT Greg Robinson, Auburn* (6-5, 320, 5.38): Redshirt offensive linemen rarely earn more than a whisper in scouting circles, but the buzz generating around the Tigers' star left tackle is venturing into deafening. Physical and tenacious, Robinson is a grizzly bear in the running game, mauling opponents with an exciting blend of size (6-5, 320 pounds), strength and athleticism. Auburn's reliance on the running game, however, has given Robinson few opportunities in pass protection, meaning he could struggle initially in this role. Robinson isn't as polished as Matthews, which is why he ranks behind the Aggies' star for me, but the redshirt sophomore possesses an extraordinary upside which could lead to his earning a higher selection come draft day.