Hekker to be released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Hekker was worth every penny for a long, long, long time. He's a Hall of Fame punter. And that is saying something! His punts were unreal, and he was a huge threat to throw as well.

He did start declining recently, but he still had some beauties, and for money money, is still easily an NFL level punter. But the problem is his contract. You need elite punting for that price. Hekker wasn't delivering it any more, for 2 seasons now. The sample size is large enough to consider it more than a down year. The timing seems right to move on. The Rams need cap space.

Hekker will always be a Ram, in my book. Hekker, at his peak, IMO will always be the best punter in Rams' history. Perhaps a lofty claim. But I really do think he was that good.

Very happy we kept him this year, in hindsight, so he could get a Super Bowl ring.

dang

Legend
Do we think it was the $$$ or the performance that was the bigger deciding factor? I believe the Rams reclaim $2m with his release but need to sign another punter.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
John Cena Reaction GIF by WWE

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Glad we got Johnny a ring. It was unfortunately time. However, despite Hekker not having the power he once did, I didn't realize just how great he was in 2021. We allowed the fewest punt return yards in the NFL, and Hekker finished #4 in the NFL in net punting average.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for everything Hekker.

It was the right move. Wish we had kept the guy we traded last year to GB.
Hekker outplayed Bojorquez in 2021. Hekker was #4 in net punting average. Bojorquez was #18. Despite attempting two fewer punts, Hekker killed more punts in the 20, had fewer touchbacks, and allowed 200 fewer return yards (and 6 fewer yards per return).
Yeah. Salary-wise they'd be in better shape and have still have a good punter. On the other hand, I'm really glad Hekker got a ring.
Bojorquez is a free agent currently.

Last edited:

SAK11

Rookie
During some of our Fisher years, he had to punt the ball close to 100 times. Hardly any touchbacks, either. And he'd throw it 2-3 times, too. Happy he got his ring, what a beast.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Hekker outplayed Bojorquez in 2021. Hekker was #4 in net punting average. Bojorquez was #18. Despite attempting two fewer punts, Hekker killed more punts in the 20, had fewer touchbacks, and allowed 200 fewer return yards (and 6 fewer yards per return).

Bojorquez is a free agent currently.
Green Bay special teams was a mess last year (again). Maybe their performance wouldn't have completely flipped, but I'm guessing the Rams focus on punt coverage and placement would have greatly helped his numbers in LA.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We all kind of saw this coming. Glad he got a ring but it's time for the next man to step into the position.

Psycho_X

Legend
He couldn't boom them like he used to but was still a very good punter with his directionals and nailing them inside the 20. But eventually you got to weigh the cap with the position. The muffed extra point in the super bowl was the only moment of his career I remember being actually mad at a play he did. But only once in his career is pretty good.

Overall, Hekker is the only punter I've every actually liked both on and off the field so he will be missed. Thanks for making punters people too Hekker.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Matt Araiza out of San Diego State, plus he can kick FG's too so that's a nice thing for a Punter, Penn State's Punter Jordan Stout @Riverumbbq choice also could be drafted as he doubles as a kicker too and is able to kick off well. Again they could be looking at someone else, but Araiza & Stout might get drafted late and maybe still be around in the 7th.